So I have had my Squire for quite a long time, close to 5 or 6 years now, and I am now looking to upgrade my guitar. I've learned all of the basics of guitar and have been getting into writing music and playing with others over the last year. I'm planning on upgrading my guitar in the next six or seven months, and I would like to get some suggestions on what I should look into. I don't want to get the fanciest,best sounding or most expensive guitar. I am looking to spend around $400 to maybe $900, again just looking for something a little better than my squire not the latest greatest best guitar ever. What are some guitars you would recommend or what guitar did you get after you outgrew your beginner instrument?
What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of amp do u own? New or used? Ect, the more info u give the better we can help guide you in the right direction.
Fender Strat or Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus's are supposedly very nice and in that price range

Really it all depends on what sounds you are wanting and what shapes you like. I am personally a Fender fan. Les Paul's are cool and all, but I'd take a Strat or Tele over one any day!
So I have an Orange amp, I kind of like more of a rock/punk/heavy sound. I am considering getting a Gibson or a Fender, I like the way both sound.
Gotta say I love my ibanez s series, thin neck, thin body, very comfortable to play, but there r tons of great guitars in your price range, ID personally go for a LP or sg, the best thing would be go to your local guitar store and play as many as you can. Find what feels great in your hands!
If you get a Strat, I'd suggest an HSS Strat. Very versatile guitar. What kind of Orange amp? I love me some Orange!
Quote by tonimleya
So I have an Orange amp, I kind of like more of a rock/punk/heavy sound. I am considering getting a Gibson or a Fender, I like the way both sound.

Players getting your "sound" (rock/punk/heavy) most commonly use humbuckers. While both Gibson and Fender are heavily associated with a certain sound, it's pretty much a bunch of crap, as both make guitars that will do what the other is acclaimed for.

If you want a Gibson because you want one, then get one (although your budget is a bit low). Same with Fender.

But if you just want the sound you want, there are many quality instruments in your budget range.

Look at ESP (LTD), Schecter, Agile, Ibanez, PRS (SE) and probably a hundred I'm not thinking of.

If you like the style of your Squier but just want to move up in value a bit and get some humbuckers, maybe look at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SKT29RA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003YNO3BM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MV1Y4PSG49YCWT0GAWX
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
If your not opposed to buying used you will get more guitar for your money.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Arby911
Players getting your "sound" (rock/punk/heavy) most commonly use humbuckers. While both Gibson and Fender are heavily associated with a certain sound, it's pretty much a bunch of crap, as both make guitars that will do what the other is acclaimed for.

If you want a Gibson because you want one, then get one (although your budget is a bit low). Same with Fender.

But if you just want the sound you want, there are many quality instruments in your budget range.

Look at ESP (LTD), Schecter, Agile, Ibanez, PRS (SE) and probably a hundred I'm not thinking of.

If you like the style of your Squier but just want to move up in value a bit and get some humbuckers, maybe look at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SKT29RA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003YNO3BM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MV1Y4PSG49YCWT0GAWX

Thank you :-)
I didn't realize the pickups had that much of an effect on the sound. I will certainly look more into getting some humbuckers. I think I might go with your idea of humbuckers and the Stratocaster. I mostly am looking for something that is a step up from my squire.
Quote by Evilnine
If your not opposed to buying used you will get more guitar for your money.

I'm looking into new and used, I am not a pick ;-)
Last edited by tonimleya at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Dinglebuttz
If you get a Strat, I'd suggest an HSS Strat. Very versatile guitar. What kind of Orange amp? I love me some Orange!

Yass, another Orange lover. I have two little ones I have a PPC108 and an Orange crush. They're tiny but mighty.
Quote by tonimleya
Yass, another Orange lover. I have two little ones I have a PPC108 and an Orange crush. They're tiny but mighty.

Awesome! I have the Orange Micro Terror + Matching cabinet on my bedroom desk. I use a PPC212 cabinet on my main setup, no head for that one though.

I think you would be very happy with a humbucker strat. Good luck!
There's a lot of good guitars to be had between $400-900. I bet anyone with more than 3 guitars here could post 100 good deals if they tried!

The Electra Omega and Omega Prime are very nice LPclones, made in Korea. They recently dropped the price @$100 on new ones to $799 for the Primes.
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega-prime

This incarnation of the Fret-King Ventura has a bridge HB paired with miniHBs in the middle & neck. The guitar features the Wilkinson Vari-Coil system, in which a knob gradually makes the HBs sound & behave more like singlecoils, giving you more tonal options than a binary coil-split switch. Also worthy of note is the Esprit family of guitars- they have a Gibson Firebird type body, and come in a variety of configurations. I have a 3P90 hardtail and love it. The mahogany HH hardtail is sweet, too.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FRKVENTURA?siid=179567
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSearch--search-Fret-King-Ventura--srcin-1

https://www.google.com/search?q=fret+king+esprit&client=safari&hl=en&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0jIim5LHMAhXMLSYKHe_hBWUQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=648

The discontinued Godin Belmont is a nifty hybrid of the Gibson SG and the Fender HSS Strat. And their discontinued LP-like Core line came in HH and 2P90 configurations. All of their guitars are made in Canada, and these can be found from $400-800.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-037926F-Belmont-Black-Wash-HG-RN-Electric-Guitar-w-Gig-Bag-Flaw-5137-/201557166408?hash=item2eedbe4948:g:Y8cAAOSwZ8ZXBowD

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=godin+richmond+belmont+guitar&_osacat=33034&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgodin+core+guitar.TRS0&_nkw=godin+core+guitar&_sacat=33034

Another LP-style guitar worthy of consideration is the Hagstrom Tremar Super Swede P90. With 3 P90s and a tremolo system, there's plenty to work with!
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=hagstrom+p90+Tremar+super+swede

I'm a big fan of the Fernandes Ravelle- I have 2 and I'm looking for a 3rd. I'd also like to get one of their Dragonflys or Revolver Classics (those are pricey, though).
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fernandes+ravelle&make%5B%5D=fernandes&price_min=&price_max=&ships_to=US_CON&item_country=
https://reverb.com/item/73655-fernandes-dragonfly-wine-transparent
https://reverb.com/item/1997606-fernandes-dragonfly-deluxe-blk

Reverend has a bunch of guitars you might like most of which will be in your price range. I own 5, and my love of them is pretty well known. Given your stated genre preferences, I'd recommend the Reeves Gabrels signature, or something in the Sensei, Bayonet, or Kingbolt family. Most of those were or are currently offered with RailHammer pickups which I think you'd enjoy.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You should look into the Chapman guitars, they're absolutely amazing. You can get significant bang for buck with them
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I mean, if you're looking at something similar, obviously Fender is something to look at. An MIM strat is a great guitar and depending on your Squier, might be a big enough upgrade. They have a few models with humbuckers so if you need that kind of tone, it won't be hard to find.

Really though, it depends on your preference. If you're able to, try out as many guitars as you can and get an idea about what you like. As much as we can help you, you're really the one that matters. So if you like a certain guitar, that's the right answer.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Anthony1991
You should look into the Chapman guitars, they're absolutely amazing. You can get significant bang for buck with them

Not in the US they aren't.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911 at #33948163
Not in the US they aren't.

They have a few US retailers and they sell them for a similar price compared to the UK IIRC.

That being said, they're about 500-1000 bucks depending on what you want.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
With your budget, you should be able to get a used US Fender, which would be the closest to your Squier while being the most significant jump in quality. Other guitars similar that you could look at:

G&L - their American line many be a bit out of budget, but you can find some good deals. Their Tribute line of guitars (import) are excellent though, and should be an upgrade from your Squier in every way.

Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling guitars - Again, the American line may be a bit steep for your budget, but the Sterling guitars are really awesome. I'd recommend looking at the Silo guitars, they are like Strats, but much more comfortable IMO, and can be had with humbuckers.

Everyone else has given you some good ideas as well, I thought I would mention these as I hadn't seen them come up yet.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They have a few US retailers and they sell them for a similar price compared to the UK IIRC.

That being said, they're about 500-1000 bucks depending on what you want.

Exactly, which is why I don't think they are really a "bang for your buck" proposition, given the incredible variety of guitars available here?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Exactly, which is why I don't think they are a "bang for your buck" proposition, given the incredible variety of guitars available here?

Yeah, unless the build quality is really excellent, I have a hard time figuring out why I should grab one of those over an Ibanez or and LTD, or a Jackson even.

On paper they don't seem to be that special, buying one I'd pretty much be trusting that have Chappers' name attached to it meant I was going to get a higher quality guitar.
Quote by Arby911 at #33948226
Exactly, which is why I don't think they are really a "bang for your buck" proposition, given the incredible variety of guitars available here?

Definitely, I could probably get a fully custom Agile in that range.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Definitely, I could probably get a fully custom Agile in that range.

Now that's an idea...
Quote by dementiacaptain
Now that's an idea...

Yeah not a bad one if TS wants to try a single cut.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by dementiacaptain
With your budget, you should be able to get a used US Fender, which would be the closest to your Squier while being the most significant jump in quality. Other guitars similar that you could look at:

G&L - their American line many be a bit out of budget, but you can find some good deals. Their Tribute line of guitars (import) are excellent though, and should be an upgrade from your Squier in every way.

Ahhh, forgot G&L! Good guitars! Ditto Carvins.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ahhh, forgot G&L! Good guitars! Ditto Carvins.

Yeah I was surprised they didn't make your list, but you get a mulligan. Don't expect this kind of leniency often, though

I suggest you go to several music stores and play EVERY guitar that you like the looks of and then several others that you don't to get a feel of what you really like in a guitar at this point - neck, frets, body style, control layout, pickup config, weight, how they hang on you, etc.

Play across every budget range.

Figure out what you want first and then others can help you more.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah I was surprised they didn't make your list, but you get a mulligan. Don't expect this kind of leniency often, though

Fair enough!

On the Carvin front, here's what they have in stock right now- the first 4 are basically in your price range (just).

http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=SB&dir=R&sort=price

You should be able to find a good price on a used one, but even new, if you look around their site and don't go for too much bling or bells & whistles, even a brand new semi-custom Carvin could be yours.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 28, 2016,
Just take a few deep breaths before you decide anything. I've just "upgraded" from my $2000 Gibson to a $65 hock shop Peavey. The point I'm trying to make is that more isn't necessarily better. - You have to have a clear picture of what you want to get that your present guitar lacks. Neck? Hardware? Sound? Mojo? Looks? Weight?

Metalmingee's advise is great. Try a lot of guitars that you like the look of in all price ranges - through a few different amps.
Quote by Tony Done
Just take a few deep breaths before you decide anything. I've just "upgraded" from my $2000 Gibson to a $65 hock shop Peavey. The point I'm trying to make is that more isn't necessarily better. - You have to have a clear picture of what you want to get that your present guitar lacks. Neck? Hardware? Sound? Mojo? Looks? Weight?

I was hoping someone would take this tack.

I was already a working musician (keyboards) when I started with guitar. My 'starter' guitar was a pair of Gibson ES-335s (a 12-string and a 6-string) that I still have. These days, "cheap" guitars can be surprisingly good. In fact, my most recent purchase was an Agile AD-2300 that looks like this:

That isn't mine; my knobs aren't reflectors and the P90's are a pair of Mike Reilander's $185 hand-wounds. A friend spotted it languishing on the used market in Vancouver and $130 had it in my hands in Los Angeles within a few days. After a bit of cleanup, it's become one of my favorite players. A friend of mine has the much more expensive Gibson equivalent, and we both like this one better.

An "upgrade" doesn't mean that you spend more money and get a better guitar. That's not how today's market works.
If you'd like a heavier tone maybe an Ibanez would do you good, just gotta put on a heavy humbucker, a duncan invader would be a great choice.
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer