Page 1 of 2
yeah okay i get that you are in love and married and stuff but it is p cringey to me

wbu hmu
also no offense to anyone here who has a joined online profile of sorts but yeah those are my thoughts wbu hmu
these exist?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Isn't this a modern right of passage? Marriage certificate, joint bank account, and joint social media?

Ah - the faux front of security in transparency.
yeah its grim
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

so when I met my husband, he had quit facebook quite a while back. eventually, his friends started treating my facebook page as if it was a joint page, beginning posts with "hey show this to _____" or "to ______", which was fine at first but got really annoying really quick

after a certain point, I told him he needed to just get back on facebook. thankfully he knew that meant getting his own account, lol.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Deffo worthy enough of being considered cringe
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
IDK on Facebook it might just help to consolidate into one profile, especially if they're the sort of people who aren't good with or don't often use the internet. Saves fussing with friends lists and passwords, no?

My nan and grandad do it, just through my nan's profile as she's on it a lot more.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My wife and I have individual accounts, and I would NOT want them merged (nor would she).

I don't want to see the cat videos her friends posts, and my stuff is generally about cars, guitars and firearms and although she enjoys 2 of those three she doesn't want to see it regularly either.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Hypenated last names make me cringe, maybe I'm old fashioned but when a couple get married the women takes her husbands last name, I can see celebrities and professionals who need to do it for professional reasons but the average couple.

The most cringe worthy example of this is a guy where I work named Jesse has a hyphenated last name, as we communicated by e-mail I was under the assumption that Jesse was a women, until I met him, he took his wifes last name and hypenated it with his last name.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
I don't want to see the cat videos
No offence but you should be sterilized.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
nah it's okay cause they are being upfront about it. I can choose to associate with the couple, not just associate with the individual and get tricked into associating with the couple

my little pet peeve is people who have them+their partner in their profile picture in an individual profile (I get the reasons why but still). Most people I know in a relationship have a couple profile picture, to the point where I just assume anyone solo in their pictures are single (then I get surprised when I see "in a relationship with" but I tend to assume the person places a huge importance on their own individuality rather than figuring that their relationship is either not sappy and/or deep enough for couple pictures).

It's so common that I just look past it but it does bug me a little deep down seeing my fb feed full of couples profile pictures of people I only associate on an individual level, when I don't know or care about their partner at all. maybe i'm getting to the age where everyone I know are in such committed relationships, starting family units and such, that you can't really deal with one person without involving the other (then again I know a few people with amazing relationships that don't plaster pictures of them and their SO everywhere)

though idk if there joint accounts on fb, haven't seen any.

*foreveralone salt obv*
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Evilnine
Hypenated last names make me cringe, maybe I'm old fashioned but when a couple get married the women takes her husbands last name, I can see celebrities and professionals who need to do it for professional reasons but the average couple.

The most cringe worthy example of this is a guy where I work named Jesse has a hyphenated last name, as we communicated by e-mail I was under the assumption that Jesse was a women, until I met him, he took his wifes last name and hypenated it with his last name.

I'm cool with taking someone's last name and doing the whole double-barrelled deal, represents equal terms we are supposedly getting married under. if I ever get married either we hyphenate or we both keep our own last names (kids get hyphenate)

also you get some cultures where throwing in everyone's name is no big deal, eg spain.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Evilnine

how about mind your own business tho

Quote by theguitarist
I'm cool with taking someone's last name and doing the whole double-barrelled deal, represents equal terms we are supposedly getting married under. if I ever get married either we hyphenate or we both keep our own last names (kids get hyphenate)

also you get some cultures where throwing in everyone's name is no big deal, eg spain.

hyphenating is cool, but starts to be a problem down the road when Jennifer Smith-Johnson decides to mary Roger Brooks-McKinney and they have a kid named Christopher Smith-Johnson-Brooks-McKinney
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan

It's not like I confront these people about it, I just loathe them in secret
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
It's not like I confront these people about it, i just loathe them in secret

that's pretty petty
PM me for newts
I don't get the problem with choosing the wife's surname I mean it's a name? Are you shallow? Is your lineage important to you, as though that carries in any practical way that isn't your sperm? Is it cringey because you project this caricature of them think they're "progressive" or "feminist" or whatever?

I'm not the marriage type but my surname is Beaney. I spent my childhood being likened to a stuffed animal toy. I'd jump at being called Mr. Smith any day of the week.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by StewieSwan
that's pretty petty

Don't get to bent out of shape about it, it's not like I think it should be outlawed, I just find it to be a bit pretentious, it's not like I despise people who do it the whole "loathe them is secret" was just a joke, my daughter hyphenated when she got married I still love her but yes it made me cringe.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Don't get to bent out of shape about it, it's not like I think it should be outlawed, I just find it to be a bit pretentious, it's not like I despise people who do it the whole "loathe them is secret" was just a joke, my daughter hyphenated when she got married I still love her but yes it made me cringe.

You do realize that not every culture has the same traditions with names, yeah? Or should everybody just do what's normal to you? Also, maybe they don't want to lose their name because it's part of their identity and heritage. When my mom divorced my dad she changed back to her maiden name and she said it was very empowering for her and it made her realize that she regretted losing it to begin with. Your view that a woman should relinquish her name to her husband is out-dated and kinda sexist, mate.

Quote by Banjocal
I'm not the marriage type but my surname is Beaney. I spent my childhood being likened to a stuffed animal toy. I'd jump at being called Mr. Smith any day of the week.

bruh, when I used to spellcheck papers in Word it would go, "Did you mean Hitler?" for my last name.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal
I don't get the problem with choosing the wife's surname I mean it's a name? Are you shallow? Is your lineage important to you, as though that carries in any practical way that isn't your sperm? Is it cringey because you project this caricature of them think they're "progressive" or "feminist" or whatever?

Wow I didn't mean to highjack this thread and get everyone bent out of shape, I don't care if my wife wanted to go by her maiden name and not take my surname the hyphen is just not my thing.

I don't project any caricatures on anything, so no need to put words, thoughts in my mouth/head that aren't true, you know what they say about assumptions.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by theguitarist
nah it's okay cause they are being upfront about it. I can choose to associate with the couple, not just associate with the individual and get tricked into associating with the couple

Yeah good point. I fucking hate it when you're having a conversation with one half of a couple and they said "___ says you should ____" or whatever.
Quote by Evilnine
Wow I didn't mean to highjack this thread and get everyone bent out of shape, I don't care if my wife wanted to go by her maiden name and not take my surname the hyphen is just not my thing.
I don't project any caricatures on anything, so no need to put words, thoughts in my mouth/head that aren't true, you know what they say about assumptions.
While I realise my post was written particularly annoyed-ly I'm just trying to understand the logic, and not strictly yours - some people take it really seriously.

It was a question, not an assertion - I've seen some folks do that. Also phenomenology.

Quote by StewieSwan
bruh, when I used to spellcheck papers in Word it would go, "Did you mean Hitler?" for my last name.
ok you win
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal

Be honest. You spent your childhood being called Weenie.
Quote by StewieSwan

hyphenating is cool, but starts to be a problem down the road when Jennifer Smith-Johnson decides to mary Roger Brooks-McKinney and they have a kid named Christopher Smith-Johnson-Brooks-McKinney

spanish system is kinda cool, even though still father centred.

think kids get both father's main surname and mother's main surname but father's surname is their main surname and when they themselves have kids the kids get the main surname only (and mother's surname as second surname)

getting married doesn't change your main surname but the "wife" can get the husband's surname replacing their 2nd surname (from their mother) if they want.

then you get goofy shit like iceland where everyone's surname is like "<parent's forename>'s son"

I think something like spanish system could work with your example but just have it so that it's up to the couple to decide whose surname is going to be the first surname. and then the kids could still turn around later on and officially swap their first and second surnames around if they want.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Banjocal
While I realise my post was written particularly annoyed-ly I'm just trying to understand the logic, and not strictly yours - some people take it really seriously.

It was a question, not an assertion - I've seen some folks do that. Also phenomenology.

ok you win

I understand where you are coming from, for me it was just how it was when I was growing up, the women took the man's name, the hyphen just sounds odd to me I guess and I am not really fond of it.

FWIW I grew up with my parent's calling me Joey and was likened to a baby kangaroo throughout most of my childhood, it was not until Jr. High that I was being referred to as Joe or Joseph, kids are like that they will always find something to make fun of
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

we should just have barcodes instead of names
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by theguitarist
spanish system is kinda cool, even though still father centred.

think kids get both father's main surname and mother's main surname but father's surname is their main surname and when they themselves have kids the kids get the main surname only (and mother's surname as second surname)

getting married doesn't change your main surname but the "wife" can get the husband's surname replacing their 2nd surname (from their mother) if they want.

then you get goofy shit like iceland where everyone's surname is like "<parent's forename>'s son"

I think something like spanish system could work with your example but just have it so that it's up to the couple to decide whose surname is going to be the first surname. and then the kids could still turn around later on and officially swap their first and second surnames around if they want.

I vote that when we get married we get to choose or make up a new surname that we as parents and our kids will go by, I would choose Pit and name my kids Mosh and Arm
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by chrismendiola
Be honest. You spent your childhood being called Weenie.
I really didn't it was "beanie baby" and "baked beans"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Seems relevant:

The Human Zoo - Mr Joint Facebook Account
Karen and Stanley’s marriage is a lot like wanking in a mate’s sleeping bag: sure it feels comfortable, but ultimately it ruins friendships. Near friendless but in love, Stanley sails the lonely sea of isolation, guided only by the shining star of his yearly tooth-happy birthday gobby.

One fateful night, Stanley consumed his permitted 6pack in record speed. Drunk on misadventure, he ripped off his shirt and sent a blurry topless mirror selfie to a babe’ing coworker. The grainy snap was heavy on the under chin angle and about as sexy as an airport toilet glory hole. Stanley waited with bated breath. Seen. But never replied.
Unbeknownst to Stanley, Karen has checked his phone ever since a “random slut” liked his profile picture in 2014. World War 3 erupts and after weeks of sleeping on the couch, a treaty is agreed on. Stanley was about to enter the emasculating world of joint Facebook account ownership. He will never be able to forgive himself for betraying his love, but at least he can atone for it.

“Karen andStan” wasted no time making its mark on social media. Every photo posted was of Karen and her girls and the endless Minion memes led their contacts to believe that Stanley was barely even a co-pilot on this starship cunterprise. Nevertheless, there was always an undue confusion as to who the fuck was actually using the account.
Karen receives a notification about a bucks night invite. She permits Stanley to temporarily re-attach his balls and use the account to let them know he was “maybe attending”. He comments, “Sounds good guys, would love to come”. Karen snatches her phone back, and replies to the comment, “ha ha if he gets permission!!!! Ha ha”.
The exchange sends dickless shockwaves down Stanley’s spine. He has had enough and replies again, “p*ss off Karen!”. Holy shit.

The red mist of mega bitchery fogs Karen’s vision. She goes into attack mode and replies, “HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT!! Guys, he thinks he is a big man, but trust me, he is VERY SMALL”.

The capslockery stokes his masculine wiles, “I’ve bl**dy had enough babe! I’m going to the event and that is that, Chr*st almighty”.
The atmosphere is tense with anticipation. Stanley's barely-mates are desperate to know who emerged the victor of this clusterfuck of awkward weakcuntery. Well, they don’t have to wait long, as Karen andStan post a status update:
“I would you all to know that Stanley is very sorry for the comments he made on FB and says he will definitely be taking his lovely wife Karen out for dinner tonight! Xoxo”.
Jesus.

All credit goes to https://www.facebook.com/TheBellTowerTimes/?fref=ts
I hate it. I would never do it. Your profile is supposed to be you, your personality. Are you supposed to just become one person/creature when you are with someone?
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by DardySon
Seems relevant:

The Human Zoo - Mr Joint Facebook Account
Karen and Stanley’s marriage is a lot like wanking in a mate’s sleeping bag: sure it feels comfortable, but ultimately it ruins friendships. Near friendless but in love, Stanley sails the lonely sea of isolation, guided only by the shining star of his yearly tooth-happy birthday gobby.

One fateful night, Stanley consumed his permitted 6pack in record speed. Drunk on misadventure, he ripped off his shirt and sent a blurry topless mirror selfie to a babe’ing coworker. The grainy snap was heavy on the under chin angle and about as sexy as an airport toilet glory hole. Stanley waited with bated breath. Seen. But never replied.
Unbeknownst to Stanley, Karen has checked his phone ever since a “random slut” liked his profile picture in 2014. World War 3 erupts and after weeks of sleeping on the couch, a treaty is agreed on. Stanley was about to enter the emasculating world of joint Facebook account ownership. He will never be able to forgive himself for betraying his love, but at least he can atone for it.

“Karen andStan” wasted no time making its mark on social media. Every photo posted was of Karen and her girls and the endless Minion memes led their contacts to believe that Stanley was barely even a co-pilot on this starship cunterprise. Nevertheless, there was always an undue confusion as to who the fuck was actually using the account.
Karen receives a notification about a bucks night invite. She permits Stanley to temporarily re-attach his balls and use the account to let them know he was “maybe attending”. He comments, “Sounds good guys, would love to come”. Karen snatches her phone back, and replies to the comment, “ha ha if he gets permission!!!! Ha ha”.
The exchange sends dickless shockwaves down Stanley’s spine. He has had enough and replies again, “p*ss off Karen!”. Holy shit.

The red mist of mega bitchery fogs Karen’s vision. She goes into attack mode and replies, “HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT!! Guys, he thinks he is a big man, but trust me, he is VERY SMALL”.

The capslockery stokes his masculine wiles, “I’ve bl**dy had enough babe! I’m going to the event and that is that, Chr*st almighty”.
The atmosphere is tense with anticipation. Stanley's barely-mates are desperate to know who emerged the victor of this clusterfuck of awkward weakcuntery. Well, they don’t have to wait long, as Karen andStan post a status update:
“I would you all to know that Stanley is very sorry for the comments he made on FB and says he will definitely be taking his lovely wife Karen out for dinner tonight! Xoxo”.
Jesus.

All credit goes to https://www.facebook.com/TheBellTowerTimes/?fref=ts

perfect.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
This makes me wonder how that couple who met through UG and got married are doing.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
This makes me wonder how that couple who met through UG and got married are doing.

I'd put money on them having broken up and neither of them can bear to come back to UG due to the memories and not wanting to "take" UG in the breakup so we just get abandoned in the street.

(have legit seen this happen with user couples here, like it's a workplace romance or something lol)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
that's pretty terrible tbh

i mean, who was privacy?
my friends private message me really strange things sometimes, so I don't think i'd want my wife seeing that lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by kalypto
from here

it needs to be something seemingly innocuous that leads to a completely different discussion usually about some social issue or religion or whatever.
i win
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 28, 2016,
to be fair when I hear a double-barrel surname I think "possible tryhard progressive" but well done
Quote by Joshua Garcia

wait wait wait thread?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It might seem a bit petty - but this caused a rift in a relationship of old for me.

I was seeing some chick with Latin blood. Naturalized and really only 10 years off the figurative boat. When things were getting a bit more serious, I started looking into her family. I inquired about why her sister and nephew don't share a last name. Latin lineage lesson ensued. I inquired why her sister didn't take her Latin husband's name and was accepting of the "Latin heritage" response.

Later that night, I asked about name changes and retention on her part. Ethnocentrism took over. It's weird to think that I'd expected her to adopt the "Euro/American-standard" for surname and lineage, but I hadn't considered it to be any other way. It was something I took for granted.

Now that I look back at it - it seems a bit short-sighted, and taking on a husband's surname shouldn't compromise the desire to spend time with my ladyfriend, but it bothered the spit out of me. Not really sad that one got away. That was just more of an ethnocentric eye-opener about what I expect to face down the line where heritage elements and "the way things are done" get thrown to the wayside.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
Page 1 of 2