I'm returning to guitar after decades away and need an "amp" to compliment my Gibson ES 175D archtop and lack of skill. The relevant parameters are that I want some kind of modeling just for the flexibility down the road (warm/jazz tones are my immediate interest here), I only play for myself and in a small bedroom (very cramped so space is a premium), and my Windows 7 laptop will always 'be in front of me'. And I really prefer a Windows interface to modeling parameters although I own a decent Android tablet.

Recording is not part of my immediate future (my interests at the moment are playing fingerstyle stuff that will stand alone with no accompaniment), but down the road ...

I have decided that the amplification part will be some kind of 5 to 6 inch powered monitor speaker (Rokit, etc), so the modeler remains. And I cannot make up my mind between some kind of DI and software like Amplitube (or others), or some stand alone box like the Boss GT-001 (there are others). I'd like to keep my total $ at this point under $600, and either of those solutions would get me there.

When I think about this the GT-001 based solution is a bit simpler (it COULD be run with only two 'boxes' - GT box, and speaker where an Amplitube solution always requires 3). OTOH, I would assume that an Amplitube type (or others) solution will tend to 'keep up with technology' over time better than the GT-001, although that is hardly inevitable.

What do others think about this tradeoff? Thanks.

dave
Last edited by DaveLeeNC at Apr 28, 2016,
There are only probably several thousand possible combinations that would work, but given your parameters I'd look at one of the Fender Mustang amps (probably the II), which seem to check your boxes and also give you the flexibility to play somewhere else if you choose to in the future.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
First question I have, are you willing to buy used?

I've heard some quality results from VSTs via a PC, but I have always found a stand-alone monitor to be more intuitive and much easier to dial in.

I would probably opt for a POD HD series over the Boss, however. The Boss may be better on the effects end, but the amp modeling on the POD is going to more-than-likely be superior.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Agree with the Fender Mustang recommendation. You can plug the Mustang into your computer via USB and use the FUSE software to control and configure it. Or use it stand alone and have plenty of good tones ready to go.
The Mustangs are good amps that can get lots of sounds quickly, and if you dive into them, have deeper parameters. I'd start there being that it is an all-in-one solution, unlike the PODs, where you still need amplification.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
For me, if your aim is mostly clean tones, I haven't really found a VST that really sounds decent enough to replace a real amp. There are some nice ones out there but even things like AT or GR I find lacking big time for cleans and lower gain tones. The VST stuff I prefer for higher gain stuff.

Maybe the Mustang might be up your alley but I haven't used it personally so I can't really give my 2c about it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think the Mustang would be a reasonable fit but TS' budget is at $600. I think they can do better than a Mustang at that budget. If we are considering both the powered speaker and a modeling unit, okay. But aren't there other options that would do both better? I am not keen on modeling but I know Mustang is not the pinnacle here...
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
I think the Mustang would be a reasonable fit but TS' budget is at $600. I think they can do better than a Mustang at that budget. If we are considering both the powered speaker and a modeling unit, okay. But there are other options that would do both better methinks.

We can spend more, but given his stated desires is it necessary?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
We can spend more, but given his stated desires is it necessary?
Good question. I wish I had more experience with the Mustang line to know how "good" the sounds are. I know they are reasonable for the price, and considering TS' parameters they may be the best option. Then again, TS might grow out of the sound too quick. I was going to suggest the VOX AV series as far as sound quality is concerned, but I only know them from video demos.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 28, 2016,
Take a look at the Yamaha THR Series, maybe they have something for you. Great practice amps for relatively low budget, with usb option for settings and recording.

I own a THR10X and the modeling is pretty good for such a price. It's just not really dynamic in terms of covering other genres. But I bought the 10X for it's high gain modeling (there are also low and mid gain models).
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
Thanks for all the comments. The Fender Mustang series certainly got my attention. But I have a real space problem in this bedroom that serves as a spare bedroom, my den, home for my exercise bike, and my guitar stuff (12x12 room). I have a space in a bookcase that would live just to my left and be a handy place to house an amplifier. But I am limited to 12.5 inches height which rules out even the Mustang I (but not the THR).

And I am curious as to how folks would trade off something like the Boss GT-001 vs. a 'pure software thing' like Amplitude.

dave
Like I said, I think there is a convenience factor. In my experience, the stand-alone processors are easier to dial in and don't require extra equipment.

You seem rather stuck on the GT-001, any reason?
In your situation I'd really look into an inexpensive guitar to USB Interface (I use a Rocksmith Video Game Cable) and software like Peavey ReValver (Very intuitive stand alone interface and plugs into a DAW (recording software) if you want).

You can get the ValveKing sim for free with ReValver so you're only about $30 into the setup.

If you're liking it then invest in some monitor speakers like Rockit 8" inch and/or some headphones (Audio-Technica ATH-M50X).

Save the extra $ for lessons to fast track your renewed hobby! There will be plenty of opportunity/desire to buy more crap later on.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Regarding the GT-001 question, there is no overwhelming reason for that choice other than it fits my requirements and for some reason a online tutorial that I stumbled into 'just clicked'. But that isn't much of a reason.

And something just occurred to me. I had rejected the Line6 POD HD500X primarily due to the size. However I have just realized that I could slip this thing under my bookcase and it could live there, controlled by the editor. A POD plus monitor speaker is pushing the top end of my budget, but I could make that work. I need to think seriously about this.

And I guess this is a waste of 'pedal power' but I don't think Line6 sells POD HD technology in a desktop format (from what I can tell). Or at least not that I can see until you hit the Helix price point.

And I have another question since folks here are being so helpful. What EXACTLY is a 'patch' in the context of amp modeling. I assume that it derives from the use of patch cables, but is a 'patch' a specific set of all settings from cabinet model to EQ settings (including effects/etc)? Or is it something less. I keep seeing this referred to but I am not sure what is or is not actually part of 'a patch'.

For example if I have 'a patch' that I am happy with and I tweak up the treble a bit. Is 'the patch' now different or is this something outside of 'a patch'?

Thanks again.

dave
The POD HD (desktop) is discontinued but can be found cheap on the used market.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The POD HD (desktop) is discontinued but can be found cheap on the used market.

Thanks for the tip - didn't realize this.

dave
If you want to use it live you'll want the floor controller version. A used HD500 or 500X shouldn't be too much and leave you enough for powered monitors.
There's nothing wrong with a PC interface and SW but you are limited to the PC and unless you plan on taking a laptop around with you you'll forever be tethered to where you PC lives.
Moving on.....
Quote by DaveLeeNC

And something just occurred to me. I had rejected the Line6 POD HD500X primarily due to the size. However I have just realized that I could slip this thing under my bookcase and it could live there, controlled by the editor. A POD plus monitor speaker is pushing the top end of my budget, but I could make that work. I need to think seriously about this.

And I guess this is a waste of 'pedal power' but I don't think Line6 sells POD HD technology in a desktop format (from what I can tell). Or at least not that I can see until you hit the Helix price point.

And I have another question since folks here are being so helpful. What EXACTLY is a 'patch' in the context of amp modeling. I assume that it derives from the use of patch cables, but is a 'patch' a specific set of all settings from cabinet model to EQ settings (including effects/etc)? Or is it something less. I keep seeing this referred to but I am not sure what is or is not actually part of 'a patch'.

For example if I have 'a patch' that I am happy with and I tweak up the treble a bit. Is 'the patch' now different or is this something outside of 'a patch'?

A "patch" is shorthand for a user preset, and you've pretty much figured it out. There are actually more things that can be included in a user preset if you have an HD500X or an HD500X Pro (rack version), including (if you have a Variax guitar) specific settings for the Variax including guitar models/parameters and alternate tunings. If you have a patch that you're happy with and you tweak the treble up a bit, the original patch doesn't change unless you go through the process of saving all current parameters as a new user preset.

The nice thing about that is that if you have a song that includes a delay setting, but a section of the song actually works better with a completely different delay setting, you can save that second setting as part of a whole new user preset, and then go back and forth between the two settings. Much easier than trying to tweak dials on a conventional pedal board quickly.

Line 6 has sold the Pod HD "bean" (desktop) for some years now, and you should be able to find one used for a pretty reasonable price. The "Live" or integrated pedal versions are the most-sold, and the rack versions are recording favorites, but I think the bean may be the most useful overall. They never ported the "X" part to the Pod HD.
Look into an Atomic Amplifire. It's small and has some of the best modelling for the price. It can easily be used on a desktop or on the floor. You also use the computer editing if you wish.
I use the POD HD Pro X regularly. Its the rack mount unit. It is phenomenal for the price I paid for it and its extremely versatile. I highly recommend it.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
While the Amplifire pushes the budget, for my case it has one relatively serious drawback - it does not have a digital/USB output requiring that you go through a DI (that I do not own and this assumes that ultimately I will want to record something). I guess the thinking here is that most folks in this market have a DI.

But in my case this requires that I ultimately 'add a box' to the ones that I will already own. And FWIW I really do not see any advantage (other than cost) of using your own DI, no matter how good the darn thing is (in the configuration that I would be using). You have the best achivable digital representation of the Amplifire output already inside the Amplifire. Going through a D-A conversion in the Amplifire (output) just to go back through a A-D conversion in your $2000 DI - I don't see how this could yield a better quality signal than what the Atomic folks could have given me directly.

Of course cost pushes things beyond my target and surprisingly, the device is not in stock right now (at the manufacturer level).

dave
Quote by RBM01991
I use the POD HD Pro X regularly. Its the rack mount unit. It is phenomenal for the price I paid for it and its extremely versatile. I highly recommend it.

Given my recent realization that I do have room for a big, but flat thing like the HD500X, that (or even a used desktop POD 500) is back in the hunt.

dave
Quote by DaveLeeNC
Given my recent realization that I do have room for a big, but flat thing like the HD500X, that (or even a used desktop POD 500) is back in the hunt.

dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDQQq1CQYD0

I have a video up here showcasing what I do with it. The playing starts around the 7-8 min mark if you just want me to shut up and play
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds