So lately I've been wanting 2 things in a guitar, A Warlock body, and a Floyd Rose. I've been Warlock because I love the way they sit, and I want a Floyd because some of my favorite bands use a locking trem heavily (Pantera and Slayer). Theres a fairly new line of BC Rich called the Warlock core X. Its a Warlock body, fat pole pickups, and a Licensed Floyd called the "R-lock". now heres my question, would this Floyd be a "good" Floyd. A lot of things i've read say stuff like "If it isnt real or an Ibanez edge dont bother" or Theyre pretty much the same, so is getting this guitar with the licensed floys a bad idea? Thanks.
1. There are no more licensed Floyds. When the patent ran out there was no need to license anything.

2. I have no idea how good BC Rich's Floyd-alikes might be.

3. There are excellent aftermarket double locking trems that look and work exactly like the Floyd Rose. And generally, the quality on what we *used* to call a licensed Floyd has come up, for the same price, because the builders no longer have to include the cost of the licensing fee in the cost of the trem.

4. Floyd Rose (the company) itself offers trems that would have been called "licensed" in the past (as in, made by manufacturers out of lesser or slightly different materials than those offered by Floyd Rose as OFR or FRO versions).

IMHO, most of these are just fine. If you're buying a $400 guitar, you shouldn't expect the equivalent of a $200 bridge on it. If you're going to be beating the hell out of it, pay the extra money and buy the expensive version. OTOH, I have what WAS a licensed version on a 1992 guitar that's still going strong (learn how to maintain them). I've got an OFR version sitting on the shelf ready to replace it, but haven't had to go to it just yet.
All Floyd style tremolos are not created equal, some are junk some exceed the quality of the actual Floyd branded trems both Korean and German, most companies have their version of the Floyd locking trem most of the big players like Jackson and Ibanez etc. will have more than one version. The Ibanez Edge systems were widely regarded as equal and by some even superior to the actual Floyd's but there are many versions of the Edge now and some are real turds.

Like dspellman said a $400/$500 guitar isn't going to be equipped with a $200 bridge, but for the most part a majority of the copies are adequate.

More recently companies are loading Floyd Rose 1000 series systems on guitars in the $700-$1000 range, they are Korean made and have similar specs to the German built trems, some of the parts are not quite as good and the build quality is not quite as precise but they are still reliable performers from my experience.

I recently replaced the factory Jackson trem on made 93 King V that was made in Japan by Takeuchi, I replaced it with an OFR upgraded with stainless screws, titanium saddle blocks, brass big block etc, I have about $350 (the same amount I paid for the guitar used in 95) into the Floyd the King V has been my war horse since I bought it, to be fair the Takeuchi whammy was still working fine I just wanted to hot rod my old reliable axe.

The biggest issue with a lot of copies is longevity parts might break, knife edges wear out etc. by this time though if it is a great playing guitar $200 will upgrade to the real thing. I always burn up Google checking out forums and reviews both professional and users reviews, research is your friend when buying music gear!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 28, 2016,
If you want that guitar, the type of tremolo shouldn't keep you from getting it. You can always upgrade it eventually.
Quote by dthmtl3
If you want that guitar, the type of tremolo shouldn't keep you from getting it. You can always upgrade it eventually.

+1 on upgrading
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

From a few pictures it looks like a regular licensed Floyd to me which most manufacturers have defaulted to the same measurements of the OFR. In order to directly swap in an OFR you would need to compare measurements.

Now, OTOH if the trem works leave it alone until you really need to replace it. Make sure you maintain the trem (lube the knife edges with Chapstick, don't change the action under pressure, keep everything lightly lubed with gun oil or 3-in-1 oil, etc.)
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .