So I sent in my Thunderhorse to Epiphone to fix what I thought was a dead fret issue but it turns out the neck was apparently completely out of whack (The rep said twisted). So Epiphone deemed it was unfixable and since it's a limited run model they can't get me another one. So the guy asked me for other guitars I'd be interested in and this was the list I came up with... Not really a Les Paul fan the body/neck doesn't feel comfortable to me but here you go... Also Epiphone Archtops aren't exactly ideal for metal lol

1. Ltd. Ed. Tony Iommi SG Custom
2. "1958" Explorer Goth
3. Les Paul Custom 100th Anniversary Outfit (Cherry)
4. Jeff Waters Annihilation-II Flying V
5. Epiphone G-400 Pro (Cherry)

I love Sabbath so my number one pick is the Iommi sig, I chose the Goth explorer so I can potentially replace the Thunderhorse but not to keen on it TBH. I just got a Hinds signature V but, the more I look at the Jeff Waters V the more it starts to grow on me...
I'd go for the Iommi, for sure!

That thing looks so fine!

I just got an Epiphone Gary Clark with Gibson pickups (although those are P90's) and they ROCK! I couldn't imagine that the pup's on the Iommi model should be anything less than stellar!
Yeah, id go for the 84 explorer as well. Also, now there is a new Brent Hinds signature flying V out, and that thing looks awesome, and is loaded with his signature Lace sensors. Its also a silverburst, like the thunderhorse was.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Sucks about your Thunderhorse! I'd have to agree with the 58' Explorer option.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Does it have to be an Epiphone?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Does it have to be an Epiphone?

I don't believe Epiphone's return/exchange policy would include exchanging for an Ibanez, Jackson or PRS :P

Sorry, I had to...

Coming back to the subject, my vote would go on either the Iommi sig (I'm a Sabbath fan as well) or the '84 Explorer.
Do they still make that Robb Flynn baritone V? I know the finish was kinda fugly but still, a baritone V might be cool.
Last edited by tsc86 at Apr 29, 2016,
Why the 84 over the 58? Everyone here like EMGs? I don't really have the option to swap out the pups right now. I've traditionally played guitars with high output passive pickups. That's what I'm most used. Plus the Goth version comes with a pick guard.

I can't believe they can't fix the neck though. I really liked that guitar :/ I was so keen on having two silverburst guitars. Now I'm gonna have to hope to snag one in good condition off Ebay later in future.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Apr 29, 2016,
I'd get the Iommi tribute, I am a biased Sabbath/Iommi fan tho!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I'd get the Iommi tribute, I am a biased Sabbath/Iommi fan tho!

Yea man, if they confirm I can get that one I'm going for it. I love Sabbath, my first Epiphone ever was an SG.
Quote by anthonymarisc
Why the 84 over the 58? Everyone here like EMGs? I don't really have the option to swap out the pups right now. I've traditionally played guitars with high output passive pickups. That's what I'm most used. Plus the Goth version comes with a pick guard.

I can't believe they can't fix the neck though. I really liked that guitar :/ I was so keen on having two silverburst guitars. Now I'm gonna have to hope to snag one in good condition off Ebay later in future.

I like the Goth, but the '84 is pretty sexy looking. Plus, I've heard the satin finish on the Goth is a pain in the ass to keep clean.
And who says swapping pups isn't an option right now? I've got a set of these in my LTD Explorer, and they're brilliant!

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/Screamers-Humbucker-Pickup-Matched-Set-Color-Choices-2114.htm
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
The Goth just isn't my style. The 84 comes in White which is a very clean look. I could care less about the EMG's, but at least they're brand name pickups, unlike the Goth. Plus the 84 is a higher valued guitar at the very least on a retail level. I would at least want Epi to replace my guitar with something of similar value.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
The Iommi, "1984" Explorer (modeled after Hetfield's MoP Explorer), or a second Hinds V, because they're just so damn pretty.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
The Iommi, "1984" Explorer (modeled after Hetfield's MoP Explorer), or a second Hinds V, because they're just so damn pretty.

Lol I thought about getting a second Hinds V lmao
Sad to hear about your Thunderhorse. Go with the Iommi SG and look for another used Thunderhorse, maybe even upgrade to the Gibson Thunderhorse. Another option is to wait for the first SnowFalcon off the line. I don't really care for the colour scheme on Toki's guitar,, but another Dethklok guitar would be cool.
The 84 has an overall better look in my opinion, being gloss finished, having regular inlays and the classic logo position and style. If you want a pickguard, you could always install one using double sided tape that doesn't leave glue marks. Easy and you can always go back to the original look.

Say what you want about EMG's, they're quality stuff. Seeing as you mentioned you play mainly metal, I think they'd be better than the stock Epiphone pickups as well.

If you'd consider a Les Paul anyway, I'd look into the Lee Malia signature. If you're into the look, I think it's great.
Those Les Pauls are gorgeous I mean

but if you're not into that I'd say the next lushest thing is the Iommi.
Ditto on those LPs being gorgeous. But OP doesn't seem to like LPs.

84 Explorer over 58 Goth for every reason stated above. I'm a passive pickups guy as well but pickups can be changed any time and you can sell the EMG for additional profit.

I do second the another Hinds V motion you can always try to trade it for a used Thunderhorse.
Quote by tsc86

I do second the another Hinds V motion you can always try to trade it for a used Thunderhorse.

Not a bad idea actually.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Agreed!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
So they gave me an update...

The Iommi SG is available

The 58' & 84' Explorers were both offered to me and they'll also throw in a hard case for either model.

The 100th Anniversary Les Paul is currently out of stock but they can send me another one, the Jeff Waters V is a long shot though.

Also even with a hard case thrown in, the G-400 Pro isn't equal in value to the Thunderhorse so they recommended I choose a more pricy model.

So would the best course of action be to take the 1984 Explorer in Ebony with a free hard case? I don't like EMGs but I guess I can save up for some Seymour Duncan Black Winter pick-ups and then have a local tech switch em out.
Very tough choice... Narrowed it down to...

Tony Iommi SG vs. 1984 Explorer EX w/ Hard Case
Iommi would be my pick.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Iommi would be my pick.

I went with the 84' Explorer they're throwing in a free case couldn't pass that up but I do LOVE SGs so I'll definitely get one in the future.
I'd get the Les Paul personally. Best value there. The Iommi is cool too - 24 frets and USA pickups.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by anthonymarisc
I went with the 84' Explorer they're throwing in a free case couldn't pass that up but I do LOVE SGs so I'll definitely get one in the future.

What colour did you choose?
Quote by n3cr0p57
What colour did you choose?

I chose Ebony, If the headstock matched the body I might've gotten the Alpine White. Plus the black hardware doesn't look good on the white one to me. The Iommi was really hard to pass up on but I'd rather get a free guitar with a free case nom sayin'?
I'm hoping to win that Tony Iommi SG so badly, if you can get one and turn it down I'd hate you. I don't know you but I'd hate you. SGs are just so comfortable, and I had to sell mine when I was poor years ago. One day I'll have another........but man that sucks about your thunderhorse, cant they just replace the neck? is it that specific that they cannot? Just seems odd.
Quote by whiteouteyes
I'm hoping to win that Tony Iommi SG so badly, if you can get one and turn it down I'd hate you. I don't know you but I'd hate you. SGs are just so comfortable, and I had to sell mine when I was poor years ago. One day I'll have another........but man that sucks about your thunderhorse, cant they just replace the neck? is it that specific that they cannot? Just seems odd.

I entered that contest lol, the SG is my favorite guitar ever to be completely honest with you. But I have a thing for Explorers and Vs too.

The neck is set in, I don't know how you would fix a warped neck. Yea IDK, it's weird cause the fretboard is resin not wood so you'd think it'd be more resistant to that kind of thing :/

EDIT: What I really want is nice old fashioned SG with a Maestro Tremolo those things are the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at May 1, 2016,
Lol you guys are making me very tempted to send another email saying I want the Iommi SG instead lol

EDIT: Screw it I'm going for the SG. It was my number one pick after all.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at May 1, 2016,