I'm contacting a few guys to try to start something with. I never lead a band so i don't know the steps to take. If they say yes to my offer, then what? Where do i go from there? Should i get us all in a room and jam to see if we're a good fit? Sorry for the noob question
Learn a few songs first. Dont just turn up and say "i guess we should jam now.....". Select a few songs and then try playing trough them. It will be easier to jam after everyone gets comfortable with playing. And also make sure you have a big enough space, 4 people with instruments tend to take a lot more space than just 4 guys sitting around.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
See what music you're all into and find a mutually enjoyed song. Learn it and play it as a group, it's always best to try and start with something that's familiar to everyone. After 2-3 songs to get you all hooked into each other's style etc, then you can start bringing jams and original work etc.

The thing about band leading is that it can vary very wildly between bands. Some bands are very democratic whereas others can be very strict, it's best to see what the people are like and what gets them to produce the best work. My band is democratic, and we listen openly to each person, then we cast votes at the end (we're 5 members, so an odd number helps), and we go with the majority and that's the end of it.

Can it be a bit disabling at times? Yeah, occasionally. But i'd say the pros of democratic voting vastly outweigh being told what to do, it's meant to be fun after all.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Do you need to be the leader? I mean, from what I remember, you have no band playing experience. Also, a band doesn't necessarily need a leader. To me declaring yourself as the leader sounds a bit bossy. Well, of course if the other guys in the band are fine with you being the leader, then fine.

But yeah, as others have said, decide in advance what songs you are going to play. "Just jamming" doesn't always work, especially if you have never played together. You need to learn each other's playing styles and get comfortable with playing with each other.

Ask them what songs they would like to play and suggest a couple of songs yourself. And before you start playing together, you want to be sure that everybody knows the songs and knows their parts.

Also, you may not sound awesome the first time you play together (you most likely won't). Learning to play as a band takes some time. Of course the better the musicians are and the more band playing experience they have, the faster you will also learn to play as a band. Band playing is a skill that you need to learn. It's not the same as playing alone in your bedroom.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 29, 2016,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Do you need to be the leader? I mean, from what I remember, you have no band playing experience. Also, a band doesn't necessarily need a leader. To me declaring yourself as the leader sounds a bit bossy. Well, of course if the other guys in the band are fine with you being the leader, then fine.

The person who starts a band is usually looked as the leader of the group. I have no plans or interest in joining anyone's band so the only option left is to start my own. You obviously misinterpreted my post because im not "declaring" myself leader. If you start a band you have to direct the members to where you want the band to go. Im not taking full control of the group, Im just giving my guidance on what I think the group should do when we meet up. Im not being "bossy". Im just doing what every person who starts a band has to do. You cant start a band and have absolutely no agenda of what to do. People look at the person who started the band for a bit of guidance (atleast in the beginning stages).

Also, does it matter if i don't have experience? You have to start somewhere. What else am i supposed to do? Join a band i hate for the sole purpose of gaining experience to be able to start my own band? Sounds like a waste of time to me. I think I'll do fine starting my own group.
OK, if by "leader" you mean the one that decided to start the band, fine. Of course you can start your own band. I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just giving my opinion on it.

No, you don't need to join a random band. Of course find musicians that have the same interests as you. That way the band will work better.

I just remember the last thread and maybe that had an effect on how I worded my post.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you've never been in a band before you might just start looking for one other musician first. Find someone who shares your ideas and tastes in music. It's a lot easier to find one person at a time then try to put four or five people together at one time and find they all have different ideas. Once you have found one person it's easier to fill out the band and it's good to have another persons opinion.

One last piece of advice. Make it a priority to find musicians who sing. Most times it's usually left as a last minute decision when in reality it should be a priority. It usually ends up with four guys looking at each other saying "Do any of you sing?" The singer or hopefully singers will be the focus of a live performance. Don't settle for the guy who just sings a little better than everyone else. In my experience good musicians are easier to find than good singers especially ones that can sing harmony as well.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 29, 2016,
It's a good idea at the very start to figure out whether you are a cover band or an originals band.

As you have little experience, it's a good idea to be a covers band because you can learn how to play with others without worrying about writing the music.

If you agree with this approach, pick 5 songs to play the jam and tell the other guys to learn them. At prac play the songs.

If instead you would like to do originals, write the songs or ideas for songs, record them on your phone and email them to your bandmates. They write their parts at home and you get them together at prac.

I personally find practicing without a plan or jamming randomly to be a waste of time if your goal is to get a band up and running. So either way you go, give the other guys something to work on for prac.

If prac happens and someone hasn't learnt their parts, give them another shot. If at the next prac they still haven't learnt their parts, find someone else.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Apr 29, 2016,