So I've been taking private lessons almost a year now because, last year I got fed up with sucking at the guitar for so many years and finally wanted to become good at the instrument. Progress has been slow and steady and I've come a long way since getting my first guitar when I was 10 yrs. old, the problem is now as a young adult I juggle work, gym, and girlfriend, between my practice time. Obviously because I continue to pay for weekly lessons I have intentions of progressing with the instrument.

So this past week I worked 6 days straight and am on my final day of a 3-day weekend. The first day I just messed around with the guitar, then second day I did the same and worked out, and now on my final day I wanted to devote as much time to dedicated practice on whatever it is I choose. My dad invited me to the pool with my uncle's and my girlfriend recently has gotten over strep but wanted to see me. I just wanna practice but essentially turned them both down. Now I feel bad for wanting to practice, but all my life I've kinda been a loner. Always on my own not very many close friends. So I enjoy my personal time.

Am I wrong for wanting to practice all day? I have the drive to do so as well...
Just play. Don't worry about that other bullshit.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Still might want to say hi to the GF, though...

Nothing wrong with being a loner if that is your choice. If you keep people at too far a distance, though, you may find yourself just being alone.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 29, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Still might want to say hi to the GF, though...

We're texting as I play but I think I'm right to be weary of catching strep throat
Call me crazy but family and GF trump guitar playing in my life.
Take the time that you want to take to play guitar without neglecting your responsibilities. If you're worried about being a loner and you're uncomfortable with it, you could maybe look for a band or go to some jam sessions. You'll get to know people and you'll be playing as you do.

I have stuff to do as well and juggle multiple things, but I set aside an evening a week for one band and wake up early in the weekend to play for other projects and for myself. And then I just pick up an instrument whenever I have spare time and I feel like playing.
This is real. One of the toughest choice you make as an adult is how to spend your time. It is a very difficult and personal decision.

I approach it but carving out 20 minutes of guitar practice time a day. That is very focused time, usually on one song, scale, progression or piece of theory. Often I do it quietly on an acoustic.

The other times I play are when I have a larger slot of time to myself. Usually it requires as least an hour, as I tend to take 10 minutes just to get warmed up. That time is full bore electric and maybe an extended rig.

My opinion is obviously to do what I do: Be disciplined about your time and respect your own values with regards to Family, Faith and Friends.
I used to feel guilty for not practicing

that passed eventually
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I appreciate the difficulty of juggling. Between work, band practice and other things, it's difficult for me to find the time and energy to really sit down and work on the high level things I've been working at for a while. It's much easier to just play whatever rather than focused practice, but meh, just the way it is.

One way or another I just make time for it, it's all about goals and aspirations. I want my playing to be at an incredibly high level, that means I put in several hours a day regardless of how i'm feeling - though sometimes I'll take an off-day just to take a break from it.

Though to be frank I sacrificed gym/regular exercise to do this. I get more pleasure from guitar than working out, so now I just have one day a week where I work hard physically and spend the rest playing guitar/doing other things.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R at #33949563

This.

Do what you want to do, man. Take advantage of this time now where you are feeling inspired to practice, because there will certainly be times where you don't want to practice at all. I'm sure you'll be able to see your gf/family another time.
I always keep a guitar within arm's reach in case I want to do some picking (when I'm at home). I pick an hour a day, maybe more, on my day's off. I work 12 hour shifts during the work week though, so guitar time is at a premium. I probably play 30 minutes a day during the work week.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R at #33949563

WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by Hydra150
I used to feel guilty for not practicing

that passed eventually

thank god
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Anthony1991
I appreciate the difficulty of juggling.

Especially when it's chainsaws.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i'm the same way, bud

very introverted, like yourself.
i would rather sit in my room and record/practice songs with my band than go out to lame parties or hangout with people who don't really value my time.

just do whatever the fuck you want, life is short, make the most of it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I kind of do both, I am not introverted but with time I've had to learn to enjoy spending lots of time alone with the guitar, because I wanted to progress with music and the intrument, and was the only one from my closest friends who listened to rock/metal or wanted to actually spend time with the instrument.

For me, no feeling beats recording a song I like, being all impatient about releasing it or practicing cool or challenging stuff with the guitar, it's soul building. Lifting weights is also very good and takes like 1 hour.

gf is kinda meh, don't have one, don't care, though I do think it's good to go out and party or drink with friends once in a week, takes away lots of stress
idk this is adult life you know, too many things to do in too little time (or the polar opposite). if you want to practice guitar more than you want a healthy social life, sure, keep practicing. if you want a healthy social life, learn to compromise.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
idk this is adult life you know, too many things to do in too little time (or the polar opposite). if you want to practice guitar more than you want a healthy social life, sure, keep practicing. if you want a healthy social life, learn to compromise.

what is this... social life you speak of?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
git rid of girlfriend.

girlfriends HATE guitars

they think it sexy when they see person on stage playing

but as soon as they realize you need to PRACTICE to be sexy guitar on stage they go...

"OH WHY AREN'T YOU PAYING SOLE ATTENTION TO ME AND MY DAILY BULLSHIT OF COMPLAINING ABOUT MY FEMALE WORK COLLEAGUES AND THE FACEBOOK DRAMA I AM CAUGHT UP IN ??"

she'll just drag you down and into a loveless marriage and kids you never really wanted but were bullied into having and you'll lose all your fun freinds and things and be stuck with a wife that silently resents you for no good reason and kids that will leech all that lovely money you could be spending on the things you WANT to spend it on.

Spend all your time on fun and guitars and only thinking about YOU. YOU are all that matters in YOUR world. Don't give in to that "expected of you in society" bullshit.

OR, she might be real cool about it if you sit and discuss that matter, who knows ?

Definitely the former is the reality tho. Not the latter.
HAIL TIM SMITH, HARBRINGER OF FADELESS SPLENDOUR !

Most beloved recent band discoveries : Midori / Mass of The Fermenting Dregs
Quote by akunohana20151
git rid of girlfriend.

girlfriends HATE guitars

they think it sexy when they see person on stage playing

but as soon as they realize you need to PRACTICE to be sexy guitar on stage they go...

"OH WHY AREN'T YOU PAYING SOLE ATTENTION TO ME AND MY DAILY BULLSHIT OF COMPLAINING ABOUT MY FEMALE WORK COLLEAGUES AND THE FACEBOOK DRAMA I AM CAUGHT UP IN ??"

she'll just drag you down and into a loveless marriage and kids you never really wanted but were bullied into having and you'll lose all your fun freinds and things and be stuck with a wife that silently resents you for no good reason and kids that will leech all that lovely money you could be spending on the things you WANT to spend it on.

Spend all your time on fun and guitars and only thinking about YOU. YOU are all that matters in YOUR world. Don't give in to that "expected of you in society" bullshit.

OR, she might be real cool about it if you sit and discuss that matter, who knows ?

Definitely the former is the reality tho. Not the latter.

You know nothing
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
You know nothing

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
OP, don't let people shame you thus.

Quote by Pastafarian96
You know nothing

You = Ygritte confirmed
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
I wish

My skills with a bow aren't bad though
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day