Hey guys. In having humidity/humidifier woes!

So now I have bought myself a nice guitar I want to look after it properly.
There's the humidifier sticky that I read and then that got me worried. So I did the stupid thing and consulted Google and got every answer under the sun from humidity will destroy your guitar in no time to don't bother it's a myth and all in between. Here are my concerns. I live in the UK it's often wet and usually quite mild temperature. I know heat and water equal humidity. I do not posses a case for my guitar as it doesn't leave the house. It lives in my living room hanging on the wall. we rarely have the heating on in the house as hot water is on demand and we have the attitude of stick a jumper on before the heating.
If weather stats, forecast and a very old hygrometer are to be believed then it has been, is currently and is due to be around 70-80% humidity.
What should I do?
I've seen the planet waves two way humidipacks for around £15 but I can't afford a hard case. Would a waterproof soft case suffice?
Please help me, I've got myself all in a panic because I am terrible for really overthinking things.
Thanks
Thom.
Here read this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=987641

I would like you to answer a couple of questions though.

Why don't you think you can believe the weather report?

80% is getting close to saturation. Why on earth do you think would you need a humidifier at those levels?

BTW, none of what you poster is quite accurate. Air will only hold so much water at any given temperature. So then, air at temperature "X" will hold "X" amount of water, and that equals "relative humidity.

When air temperature is raised, the "relative humidity" drops, because warm air will hold more water.

That becomes a factor in winter when outside air temperature is very low. The required rise in air temperature could be extreme. Say it's 10F outside, and you want the house to be 70F. So air outside is at 10F at 50% RH. But when subjected a 60 degree rise in temp from the house heater, would net you about 10% RH, indoors temperature. Then you would definitely need a humidifier.

But, if it's 60 outside @ 80% RH, and 70F indoors, the RH would be pretty near the same.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 30, 2016,
I live in the UK too. All my guitars live with me and some of them have done so for over 45 years. None of them have ever experienced a humidity different from what the good old damp UK naturally provides.
I read that sticky cranky. That's what I refer to in my OP and what
Kicked this whole thing off. If a guitar should be kept at 45-55% humidity and its 80% then surely I need de humidify? Also i don't really trust the weather report because this last few months it's been wrong much more than its been right. And the hygrometer in the house is something like 70 years old and I don't know if it works and it's sat pointing at 82%.
But anyway as said i read the sticky, did more reading, got overwhelmed by the sheer amount of conflicting info, so I asked here.
I think the first thing you might want to do is get a hygrometer that you know is accurate. If it is really 82% that is very high. I live in a basement apartment that is very humid and I have a dehumidifier that I keep set at 48. Not only for my guitars, but when humidity gets extremely high for lengthy periods, mold anywhere can be a problem. If you keep the atmosphere in your home stable (40-60) or so, I think you will be fine without a hard case or humidifier. A hard case is nice thing to have though if you have an expensive instrument that you want to protect. As far as guitar humidifiers I like the kyser lifeguard. It fits snugly in the soundhole and you can put in in damp for low humidity or with the sponge dry to absorb moisture in low humidity.
Quote by Thom1989
I read that sticky cranky. That's what I refer to in my OP and what
Kicked this whole thing off. If a guitar should be kept at 45-55% humidity and its 80% then surely I need de humidify? Also i don't really trust the weather report because this last few months it's been wrong much more than its been right. And the hygrometer in the house is something like 70 years old and I don't know if it works and it's sat pointing at 82%.
But anyway as said i read the sticky, did more reading, got overwhelmed by the sheer amount of conflicting info, so I asked here.

Well, 80% RH isn't all that good for you either.

If we assume the RH in your area averages 80%, then you do need to do something.

There really isn't that much, (if any ?), conflicting information in the sticky. What I believe is happening, is that you haven't quite gotten the temperature to amount of water vapor in the air relationship fully worked out yet.

For example of a reverse situation of heating during the winter, picture this summer scenario; 85F Hot air, with 40 % RH will become 65F with 60 or 70% RH, just by virtue of the sun going down!

If you're still running the house heater, RH will be lower indoors than outdoors. How much lower will depend on temperature rise.

You need to figure out what the average humidity in your area is, not the daily forecast. If a week from now you're going to have a string of 30 or 40% days, you need do nothing.

A hard case mitigates or levels out the daily changes.

If you live on an island in the channel, then yes, you will need to dehumidify the entire living area, not just the guitar case or bag.

The weather report IS very meaningful when the indoor and outdoor temp are close to the same.

Two final points, NO you should not rely on an 80 YO hygrometer. They can be given what is called, "the salt test" for calibration purposes. Google that.

I honestly can't tell if you have an issue yet, or you're (as you pointed out yourself), simply being histrionic. I/we, need more long term info on your area and climate, before we can give valid advice.

You could consult an almanac. That should have yearly day by day data.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 30, 2016,
Have had a look and have a bit more info.
Taken averages from what I can find of my local climate history.
Humidity lowest is 70% highest is 87%
Temp for this time of year average of 15C
House tends to stay at around 19-21.
Had a look at the salt test and will try that when i get home.
Thanks for all that cranky. Really useful!
Bit of and update.
So I've salt tested the hygrometer. Was sat at just under 80 so I think that means the humidity in the house is at around 77-78.
Have borrowed my parents de humidifier and that brought the room down to around 65-67%(calculated not indicated)
is 65 acceptable for the time being or do I still need to de humidify?
This brings the next issue. As said I don't have a hard case but I do have a TGI extreme padded guitar case. If I buy and use a planet waves humidipack in that case will it be effective or will it just be a waste?
Thanks for all the advice thus far.