here are things that factor into my social status judgment:

your credit score
what knd of portfolio you have
what kind of lifestyle you lead
how clean you are
if you pick AWD because "i needs it for snow n such"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 29, 2016,
Fuck no. I'm also not above listening to anything, although I'm sure plenty believe I'm below or not quite entitled to listen to certain stuff. I assure you that I am. It's just dumb music.
It's music, a series of vibrations in the air
Everyone can enjoy which vibrations they want to
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
ugh I just don't care about the whole "culture" surrounding music anymore -- what's cool, what obscure, avant-garde records do you know -- I pretty much just listen to Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones these days -- holy shit it is so unbearably uncool how did I end up like this, but I don't even care.
Nope
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't associate the two, but if you were to do so, my taste would be exactly in line with my social status - I listen to music nobody listens to, and I have no friends. It works out alright.
If there is a God, it's me.
i find your usage of 'social status' peculiar

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm an adult now

your credit score
how clean you are

this version of adulthood is super narrow and boring

Quote by Dreadnought
- thinking that street cred for listening to a certain era of a band is a thing

my friends and family talk about 'emo cred' to describe old and obscure music but it's not a concept we take too seriously.
I used to be the guy described by the OP but I'm becoming less and less so as I've grown up.

I mean I'm definitely still biased towards the same few genres but i don't dismiss new and different stuff as easily as I used to, and not nearly with as much contempt.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Apr 30, 2016,
Quote by Dreadnought

nah, at least not here

Quote by Dreadnought
- thinking you're above certain genres

nah

Quote by Dreadnought
- thinking some songs are sacred or shouldn't be covered

nah

Quote by Dreadnought
- thinking only people who play physical instruments can be geniuses

hell nah

but the thing with shit like social status is that personal questions like these tend to be quite irrelevant

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
I associate pavlickk's music with being a fkin baws
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm an adult now

your credit score
how clean you are

XiaoxiFace.jpg

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
i regard anything that brings joy to even one person valid and deserving of it's own existence in the world. I will give ANYthing a chance. Sure there's stuff i don't dig, but i'd NEVER deny it to anyone else, should i have that hypothetical power to do so. Man most of the stuff i listen to on a regular basis is SO uncool and so un-listenable to most people I know, it'd be pretty rude to condemn their tastes.

I guess it matters to a lot of people when they're in their younger years to early 20s perhaps, but so do most things in their world. Seeing music in such a way, socially standing, is just another symptom of a much bigger picture that everyone eventually finds their way through. I never believed I would become so uncool when i was in my early 20s, yet....here I am...and totally comfortable with that because, after a certain amount of time there really are much more important things on your mind, sadly.
HAIL TIM SMITH, HARBRINGER OF FADELESS SPLENDOUR !

Most beloved recent band discoveries : Midori / Mass of The Fermenting Dregs
Quote by Dreadnought
this includes but is not limited to:

- thinking you're above certain genres

- thinking some songs are sacred or shouldn't be covered

- etc.

wbu

I wouldn't say I'm above certain genres, I do scoff at pop music a fair amount though. But only because it's so incredibly tired and predictable. That's not to say I don't enjoy one of 'big release' songs every now and then, it's just that... I can hear the fucking auto tune every single time. It annoys me because they're generating such a big musical following for not being musical but rather a personality. At least J-pop can go off in totally random directions, western pop literally hasn't evolved since the 90s; they seemed to find a formula and it's stuck ever since.

Having done vocaloid work and other non-physical instruments it's a lot clearer that - much like mixing and mastering - it's an entirely new skill set you have to learn. That said, it's much easier to learn software and how it works over developing physical skills. Physical skills require more time and muscle memory, software is much more forgiving in that respect. But I don't look down on e-instrument people, but again, much like Nick Jonas, some people pick it up and just give it a bad name.

I think that people who instinctively say 'I can't stand metal' is a frustrating approach though. What even is metal anymore? What metal have you experienced? Do you know the difference between hard rock and metal? I think if you're a musician and you haven't at least spent time exploring metal then yeah, for me, I'd probably class you as a lesser musician just because you've let your preconceptions get the better of you. Music is music, explore and listen to everything, you'll be better off for it.

Covers:

If someone fucking plays Guns & Roses Sweet Child O' Mine at a local gig for original bands I always cringe. I get it, G&R was big for you, but never - ever - cover that song in public surrounded by original bands. It's such a horrible moment and I keep experiencing it, it's like people don't learn. I don't think the song shouldn't covered because its sacred, you shouldn't fucking cover it because we've all heard it a million times and its the trademark of a wannabe band. Maybe in the US it goes down better but in the UK it's a sure fire way to get the other bands to laugh at you.

And just don't cover Stairway to Heaven, no one wants to hear that.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
And just don't cover Stairway to Heaven, no one wants to hear that.

What about a solo piano version in the style of someone like Elton John?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

I have observed that young children with interest in classical music are usually from "better" upbringings. Often, children from said backgrounds often play violin or viola, but this is pure correlation.

There may be a correlation with listening to certain types of music and class but I think that's more upbringing and serendipity than it is implicit in an adult's social status, which can change.

Quote by Dreadnought
I don't even understand this one.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
I have observed that young children with interest in classical music are usually from "better" upbringings. Often, children from said backgrounds often play violin or viola, but this is pure correlation.

There may be a correlation with listening to certain types of music and class but I think that's more upbringing and serendipity than it is implicit in an adult's social status, which can change.

I don't even understand this one.

I think it's more to do with getting the exposure. Someone from a more affluent background is more likely to get exposure to more "refined" musical styles (e.g. Classical), whilst people in lower socio-economic groups are probably stuck with music they hear on mainstream radio stations.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
...yes that was precisely my point.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal

This is what I thought the thread would be about when I saw the title.
The examples given in the OP are less about social status and more about an overinflated sense of self-importance.
I was exposed to (virtually) no classical music as a child, yet I prefer playing and listening to classical music above all else.

I honestly wonder why sometimes
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
I was exposed to (virtually) no classical music as a child, yet I prefer playing and listening to classical music above all else.

I honestly wonder why sometimes

Something something not being your country loving dad something something.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
tbh: to some extent, yes.

maybe social status isn't the way to describe it tho.

but i tend not to be surprised when meeting someone who's really fucking dumb and find out they listen to a lot of generic radio hard rock
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Pastafarian96
What about a solo piano version in the style of someone like Elton John?

What about Kanye and Bohemian Rhapsody? I'd rather never hear no one famous cover anything than have Kanye cover something
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by EpiExplorer
Something something not being your country loving dad something something.

Nah I like most of my parent's music alright too, but classical music moves me in ways

I just remembered why I have a strange love of classical music, I remember my mum telling me that when I was about 3 we went to see my aunt and uncle and my cousin who was about 19 at the time and in an orchestra playing double bass. Apparently I just sat in awe of the bass and it's sound for like an hour while my cousin practiced.

Maybe that's why I like playing bass guitar so much
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Anthony1991
What about Kanye and Bohemian Rhapsody? I'd rather never hear no one famous cover anything than have Kanye cover something

Note: in the style of

And I forgot to mention, instrumental

Eh, it segues into phantom of the opera at the end instead of the solo so it's still better than the original being covered note for note
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
Note: in the style of

And I forgot to mention, instrumental

Eh, it segues into phantom of the opera at the end instead of the solo so it's still better than the original being covered note for note

My original point was that no local band should ever cover a mega single Just please, stop with the G&R covers, it's embarrassing to the highest magnitude
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Pastafarian96
Nah I like most of my parent's music alright too, but classical music moves me in ways

I just remembered why I have a strange love of classical music, I remember my mum telling me that when I was about 3 we went to see my aunt and uncle and my cousin who was about 19 at the time and in an orchestra playing double bass. Apparently I just sat in awe of the bass and it's sound for like an hour while my cousin practiced.

Maybe that's why I like playing bass guitar so much

classical can be pretty cash

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Eastwinn
this version of adulthood is super narrow and boring

that version of adulthood leads to committing suicide in your 40s because you can't handle the pressures of life anymore
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Anthony1991
My original point was that no local band should ever cover a mega single Just please, stop with the G&R covers, it's embarrassing to the highest magnitude

Yes, but note for note covers or variated ones?

Variated ones always seemed like ways of putting your own touch on songs and making them yours, essentially making less the original artist's song and more your performance

However G&R covers are cringey 99% of the time
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

LOL you guys thought I was cereal

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm an adult now

your credit score
how clean you are

This, but...

There is a back-door to this social status vs. music idea.

People listen to music for a variety of reasons - one of which being familiarity with expressed emotion. This hit me going back and FLAC-ing my CD's. Most of the discs were purchased in high school and early college years. About half of the discs allowed for adequate nostalgia, but I would turn them off after 1-2 songs due to my inability to relate to the message in the music.

I suppose, when I see a late 20's early 30's individual sitting in their car, blasting Simple Plan's "I'm Just A Kid" or any other song tapping into entitlement principles and how life isn't fair, I do cringe and judge the individual differently. I suppose that would be less attributed to social status, and more to social maturity though.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
Quote by Xiaoxi
LOL you guys thought I was cereal

Of course not, that's why I summoned XiaoxiFace.jpg
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Page 1 of 2