Poll Options
View poll results: wbu
the racist, whiteocentric hollywood patriarchy strikes again
16 38%
freeloading liberal whiners drown in PC gone m.a.a.d. world
26 62%
Voters: 42.
Page 1 of 2
I went with racist because how many fucking superhero movies does the world need fuck hollywood.
If Michael B Jordan can be The Human Torch then Tilda Swinton can be the Ancient One.

I think the director summed it up, he basically said he could have casted a Tibetan in the role and gone big on Tibetan culture but that would have pissed off China and lost them a large section of the market. They could have cast a Chinese actor but that would not only disrespect Tibet but probably, if they were being faithful to the original comic, fall into a Chinese stereotype which would have pissed off SJWs more. The Ancient One is not a massive character but is crucial to the origin story so they had to cast someone, why not a very talented actor who is known for her sexual ambiguity, which could then translate to racial ambiguity for the purpose of this film?

I don't remember anyone was complaining when the guy who was supposed to be Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins was a Japanese guy with no lines who got killed off unceremoniously only for Liam Neeson to be revealed as the real one. I think a lot of the people complaining about this just want to be seen to care about social issues and this is an easier target than doing some actual reading and thinking about issues that matter.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by neidnarb11890 at #33950159
I went with racist because how many fucking superhero movies does the world need fuck hollywood.

yeah forreal
I bring balance to the force
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Definately not whitewashed.
That's when it's dominated by some other race and then u go in and wash it with whiteness, like jazz.
Hollywood has always been white.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Apr 30, 2016,
Quote by EyeNon15
Definately not whitewashed.
That's when it's dominated by some other race and then u go in and wash it with whiteness, like jazz.
Hollywood has always been white.

I think you'll find Hollywood's roots are black and white.

And also silent. STFU actors.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by RAB11
If Michael B Jordan can be The Human Torch then Tilda Swinton can be the Ancient One.

It's funny how you don't get much uproar when a black person gets cast to play a white character (unless James Bond turned into a black guy)

I picked the PC gone mad option. Because the above quote demonstrates what hypocrites PC people are.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
It's funny how you don't get much uproar when a black person gets cast to play a white character (unless James Bond turned into a black guy)

I picked the PC gone mad option. Because the above quote demonstrates what hypocrites PC people are.

I don't care who plays Bond, as long as it's not another "Bourne with British accents" film.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I wonder if at some point they went "hm, we don't know that many Tibetan actors, should we just get a random Asian?" and then scratched that idea thinking it could be seen as racist
I'd be for reinstating Jim Crow laws if it meant no more comic book superhero movies.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I don't know but posting a bunch of videos an not spoilering them should be a permabannable offense.
they're only as racist as the audience. they are required to cast big names to make the big moneys. name one tibetan actor as famous as tilda swinton.
Quote by Jackintehbox
they're only as racist as the audience. they are required to cast big names to make the big moneys. name one tibetan actor as famous as tilda swinton.

Have you ever actually hear anyone say "OMG, Tilda Swinton is in a new movie and I didn't know until NOW? TO THE CINEMA!!!!"

No, me neither.
Quote by Diemon Dave
the circumstances are racist, hollywood is just not bending over backward to fight it. so if you're one of those people who thinks that doing nothing means doing harm, then they're racist.

and it's different from innocently owning slaves back when all your neighbors were doing it, because...i don't know shut up
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Apr 30, 2016,
Quote by JackSaints

Are you serious? The amount of horrible shit that was thrown at Michael B. Jordan for Fantastic Four was unbelievable. Donald Glover once said as a joke that he'd like to play Spider-Man and recieved a barrage of racist bile for it.
Quote by BelowTheSun
Are you serious? The amount of horrible shit that was thrown at Michael B. Jordan for Fantastic Four was unbelievable. Donald Glover once said as a joke that he'd like to play Spider-Man and recieved a barrage of racist bile for it.

Quote by BelowTheSun

Difference being the idiots throwing shit at Jordan were classed as bigots and the idiots throwing shit at Swinton are classed as SJWs.

@Ali, genuine question. Did you feel your culture was being appropriated when Gods of Egypt came out starring mostly Western actors?

Last edited by RAB11 at May 1, 2016,
I haven't seen Gods of Egypt and no, because I'm not an ancient Egyptian, and I also don't care about cultural appropriation. I'm also not an American Egyptian or African American, so how I personally feel about a film I haven't seen isn't indicative of much. I'm still for better casting practices.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at May 1, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I haven't seen Gods of Egypt and no, because I'm not an ancient Egyptian

mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Binary oppositions perpetuate existing power structures and leave the polis divided in unneeded hierarchies and oppressed by an unseen oligarchy.

die pc scum
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
what are we defining 'hollywood' as?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I haven't seen Gods of Egypt and no, because I'm not an ancient Egyptian

Seriously though, casting The Ancient One was a lose-lose situation. Either cast a Tibetan and have people calling for your head because of racist stereotyping, or cast non-Asian and have people calling for your head for whitewashing. Marvel knew they were taking a hit whatever they did, so they just cast someone that's going to knock the role out of the park. Usually I'm one of the ones calling for diversity in casting, but in this case I can't get mad about it.
chris rock will fix it all as soon as he can dig up some racism that's funny
Hollywood is fails to cast minorities because: 1. They want to appeal to a white audience; 2. Most well known actors are white and they want to use a celebrity to sell tickets; and 3. Hollywood doesnt cast minorities because of 1 and 2 so it ensures there are no well known minority actors.
Quote by BelowTheSun

Seriously though, casting The Ancient One was a lose-lose situation. Either cast a Tibetan and have people calling for your head because of racist stereotyping, or cast non-Asian and have people calling for your head for whitewashing.

Same thing with Danny Rand, really.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Except Danny Rand's always been white but gets his superpowers through appropriating Chinese culture so it's all good.

Quote by ThrashUnleashed
Same thing with Danny Rand, really.

I think if Danny Rand had specifically been cast Asian-American it would have been alright. Then he's not a magical mystery Asian, he's an American who, I dunno, goes to find out some more about his heritage and has magical powers thrust on him. That's not so bad.

The issue with avoiding typecasting is that if you say 'we won't cast any Asian martial artists because racism', then you're completely ignoring the fact that there are a lot of Asian martial artists Not sure Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan ever minded.
Page 1 of 2