Hi people, I relic'd my fender sunburst replica guitar, as you can see! I just wanted some opinions from fellow guitarists and said to myself, why not UG? Waiting your comments. Thanks!

I'll be honest, I think it looks pretty bad. It doesn't look like its an old guitar thats seen its ups and downs, it looks like someone took heavy sandpaper to certain spots and ground the hell out of it
Just a few things:

Aside from a few exceptions, you don't really see guitars with that much wear. Another thing to keep in mind is you want it to look like play wear and not something that looks sanded down and chiseled. Most of the damage would come from picking, belt buckles and the occasional ding from a cymbal or table bump. You might find a bit of wear at areas where you would be into contact with like the top of the body where you might rest your arm.

This is more of a taste thing but if you intend on relicing the guitar its a good idea to age the hardware as well. I find shiny, chrome parts stick out like a sore thumb on relic'd pieces. Especially with a heavy relic style like yours.

Relicing isnt the easiest thing to do. I would probably have practiced on some cheapo bodies first.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by natadams149
I'll be honest, I think it looks pretty bad. It doesn't look like its an old guitar thats seen its ups and downs, it looks like someone took heavy sandpaper to certain spots and ground the hell out of it

http://m.imgur.com/nmg4jGC?r

That guitar looks exactly like someone was trying to do what you were trying to do, and failed.

Anyways, purposefully making a guitar look like it was played more than it was is an odd trend. Just play the thing and eventually it will look just as worn as you are hoping it will.

You could put some bumper stickers on it to cover the sandpaper scarring a bit. Best thing I can think of.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
If a no tumble slide after falling out of the back of the van @ 80 MPH is the look you were going for...congrats. At this point your best option IMO is to pull it apart and strip sand it to bare wood.

I'm sorry but that looks fucking terrible. It looks like someone puked up some mac & cheese on it.

I'm of the belief that relicing a guitar is something you earn by playing the crap out of the guitar and getting good at guitar in the process.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 30, 2016,
I'm not a fan of relic'ing a guitar. That being said I can appreciate when it is done well. This was not well done. It is kind of an art that takes time to do (days) and knowledge about wood, finish and wear patterns..

An old worn guitar is worn smoothly over the entire finish and the exposed wood has darkened with age. The area between open unfinished wood and finished sections will be gradually worn, not abruptly just chopped off. This does not look smooth, worn or old. It looks like someone just got pissed and beat it up. You kind of went way over the top. I never saw a guitar that beat up ever. Sorry.

You did say it was a replica guitar. I hope that means Chinese copy. Now that you've gone this far you may just want to remove the neck and sand down the whole guitar and refinish it in a dark color (black, dark blue etc.) and just count it as an experiment that failed. The guitar is still salvageable just YouTube some instruction videos on refinishing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 30, 2016,
It's all personal preference, so if you like it great. However, I personally think it looks pretty bad. Hopefully that isn't a main guitar and just a project you were testing it out on. I would cry if my strat looked like that
Not well done.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've never seen a guitar with that kind of natural wear.
It looks exactly like a guitar that someone has taken a grinder to.

I spend some time at the local Los Angeles used/vintage guitar stores (such as Norm's Rare Guitars) and occasionally drop into Rumble Seat guitars in Ithaca, NY. Lots of time at the local guitar shows as well. Even among the oldest '50's vintage guitars, none has that kind of natural wear.
What did you do, bro?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bsadowsky3031
If a no tumble slide after falling out of the back of the van @ 80 MPH is the look you were going for...congrats. At this point your best option IMO is to pull it apart and strip sand it to bare wood.

Actually, yes I wanted to make it look like that. I imagined my ex throwing it from a hill.

Thanks for all the comments!

And, guys, it's just a fake guitar, I can always sand it down again. It wouldn't be a problem.
Last edited by mertkarakus1 at Apr 30, 2016,
What did you use to remove the finish? A Dremel? A chisel?

I'm not a fan of artificially relic'd guitars but if you are going to do it look up some pics of vintage well worn guitars or go find a video on YouTube to show you how, the paint should be worn in a gradual fade where the player makes contact over a number of years arm, body, fingers, pick scratching etc. Some random chips and dings as well as scratches and maybe some buckle rash on the back. Some wear needs to be created on the hardware also!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge