Firstly, I don't know a lot about the electronics of how all this stuff works so forgive me if this is a stupid question. If I want to get a multi effects pedal to use with a tube amp how does that work? I know some of the multi pedals are pretty much like a solid state amp in itself just without a speaker, so it seems to me that I wouldn't be able to just run that into a tube amp. But again I have no idea what I'm talking about. Some clarification on this matter would be appreciated!
You can turn off the amp modelling and then they work quite well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Multi-effects units' distortion and amp simulations are often not very good in comparison to a reasonable tube amp. Higher-end units are okay though. But with units like the RP360, Zoom G3, some Line 6 units, etc. they shine best when used just for delays, reverbs, chorus, etc.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 30, 2016,
The way you get them to work is by not using them and letting the tube amp do all the work.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Will Lane
Multi-effects units' distortion and amp simulations are often not very good in comparison to a reasonable tube amp. Higher-end units are okay though. But with units like the RP360, Zoom G3, some Line 6 units, etc. they shine best when used just for delays, reverbs, chorus, etc.

^^^this^^^
I have a Line 6 Pod in front of my single channel no-effects-loop-equipped JCA 20. The only time I use anything but the reverb on it is when I want to beef up low volume distortion for my SSS Strat.
If you used cheap multi-fx units, they sound cheap. There are some really good ones out there ($$) that sound really awesome.
For just an effects device (like the Line6 M-series), just use them between the guitar and amp. For something that has amp sims, go straight into a PA.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The way you get them to work is by not using them and letting the tube amp do all the work.

I probably should have been more clear, I'm quite happy with the amp and the OD pedal i have. I'm strictly talking about effects, ie. Reverb, delay etc. I recently made the switch to tube and I'm used to having all these things in one amp so there's been a bit of a learning curve
Last edited by ryane24 at Apr 30, 2016,
Sure it can be done. Just make sure it's a quality unit, many stated here before. But if I were you I'd think about which effects do you actually need, because if it's just 2 or 3 you may get a better bang for the buck going the traditional stompbox route.
I highly recommend the Line 6 M9. Just throw it in the fx loop and that'll give you a spiffy 56 second looper and some intense sounding delays, reverbs, tremolo, all that good stuff. Its perfect for the specific task you're looking for imo. I scored mine for $220 used (sold my DL4 to fund it, luckily it has a DL4 built in). I've owned quite a few <$400 mfx and the M9 has been my favorite, it sounds awesome with a cranked tube amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 30, 2016,
The problem I have with complicated effects units is that it can often become all about the effects. That is my issue though and may not be yours. I had a boss unit years back and finally just canned it to play balls to the wall straight through a good tube amp. I use some classic pedals and a true bypass switcher from loop master. The switcher allows me to pull the pedals individually out of the signal path when I am not using them.

I think the suggestion about using the effects unit for delay and reverb is a good one. If your amp has an effects loop you could run it through there and keep it out of your front-end signal path. Remember that you can get a floor switcher from a source like loop master and still get an effects unit. You can pull it out of the signal path whenever you want that way.

With regards to effects units, there is always more than one school of thought (for and against). Neither is really wrong.
highly discourage the multi effects pedals as inexpensive/appealing they can be. I had a digitech for a long time and it did the job, but now have slowly invested in a whole board. Takes your playing to a completely different level. If you must go multi effects, stick with BOSS
Quote by Colelewing
highly discourage the multi effects pedals as inexpensive/appealing they can be. I had a digitech for a long time and it did the job, but now have slowly invested in a whole board. Takes your playing to a completely different level. If you must go multi effects, stick with BOSS

Oh yeah? Because the mfx you bought sucked, all mfx suck? Is that how it works?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20