Page 1 of 2

The former bicycle factory Tovarna Rog, located in the very centre of Ljubljana, Slovenia, was occupied in 2006 by a group of young intellectuals, artists, social activists and other creative forces. Since then, it has become an unique and idiosyncratic place of encounter and work for a huge number of individuals, groups, organizations and initiatives, including festivals, galleries, meeting places and clubs, exhibitions and a Social Center that offers help to migrant workers and provides education and support for refugees and other marginalized groups. In spite of the absence of public electricity, Rog has celebrated its ten years of steady production, renovation and construction all along the planted courtyard and its meeting and forum points, the concert hall, the skate park, cirkusarna, a playground on the first floor used for training kung fu and playing football, break-dance floors and various Slovenian and international artist’s studios, demonstrated once more that the old industrial complex is a lively place for creation and experimentation that breathes with its neighborhood, the city and its inhabitants. At the same time, Rog is becoming an attraction for foreign visitors and its history is a part of Slovenia’s art history and cultural landscape. However, the municipality and its mayor ‪#‎ZoranJanković‬ are planning to start a "renovation" project which includes the demolition of several buildings hosting some of these activities, the subsequent eviction and dispersion of current users of Rog and the establishment of a new center for visual arts and creative industries. This project, intended to be financed through European funds, is not foreseen to be developed from or in dialogue with the 10-years experience of hundreds of participants in autonomous Rog activities. On the contrary, it is supposed to conclude the gentrification-led process of revitalization of city historical center and privilege the notion of cultural industry instead of autonomous and experimental creation of artistic and social events. We want to keep Tovarna Rog as it is with all its people and content at the same place and secure its future self-development. Please help us to achieve that. Sign, like, share and spread this information! You will support that way not only this exceptional pole of cultural life in Ljubljana, but also the spirit behind its efforts, a one of solidarity, communal thinking and free creation.

http://www.pravapeticija.com/neomejen_rog_uporabe__support_autonomous_tovarna_rog

Just google translate it or something.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
signed because i saw Ljubljana and i think that's a cool word
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
donezo
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
merci

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
I don't feel like I know enough about the situation to sign this in good faith.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
then don't sign it

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Background

The space has been left to decay since 1991. In 2000 two large scale exhibitions were held in the premises (Break 21, 4th International Festival of Young Artists and 17th Biennial of Industrial Design). In 2006 the informal interdisciplinary TEMP group decided to take the initiative and act. The change of the function from factory to cultural centre was achieved not through a classic occupation squat but in accordance with an original concept of a new, temporary production unit. The production of independent and non-profit cultural programmes started here in March when Antonio Negri became one of its first guests and lecturers (revisited in 2011).

TOVARNA ROG: We are temporary - Smo začasni by redbuttonstudio on

YouTube About Tovarna Rog in 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCn-dnNcF4

Public programme and activities

The Rog Factory is open to all those working in the non-profit sector. To date the project has involved the co-operation and participation of hundreds of individuals and numerous cultural and social organisations.

The first festival in Rog was the Politically Incorect Film Festival (PIFF) in May 2006 followed by the Rog Festival organised by the users. In June the Open Rog final exhibition of the World of Art curatorial course was organised on the premises by SCCA-Ljubljana Centre for Contemporary Arts. Later this year Bunker Institute organised a round table on the artistic mobility on behalf of the Balkan Express Network and one of the Mladi levi Festival performances took place in Rog. For some time the power supply was ensured by the renown Slovene film director Franci Slak who filmed his Kakor v nebesih, tako na zemlji film on the premises (produced by Radio-Television Slovenia).

In 2007 R.O.G. Skatepark was opened and a group of independent new media and visual artists established Cirkulacija 2, an interdisciplinary platform for contemporary art. The Rogovila Festival of Sound with concerts ranging from experimental to flamenco and metal took place in the summer and was accompanied also by the acoustic and sound technical workshops. In 2008 it evolved in a multimedia set of events produced by the artists working on the premises. The major 2008 events were organised in support of the Rog activities due to the threats by the Municipality to close down the cultural and social centre (on the other hand Rog offered space for the intervention screenings by the Kinodvor Cinema which was temporarily closed down by the state). Regular contemporary dance rehearsals (organised by Fičo Balet in the frame of the Nomad Dance Academy) took place in Rog and culminated in the closing performance Homo Canis by Kire Gjorevski. 2009 saw the Freedom to the Worlds music festival with bands such as Nikki Louder, Golliwog and Doggy Stones as well as the traditional annual Open Door Rog Festival.

Since the beginning one of the most persisting regular activities in Rog is generated by the Rog Social Centre (SC Rog), a laboratory for global citizenship, which has organised numerous actions, lectures, symposia and informal public debates tackling the issues of asylum seekers and migrant workers (e.g. the IWW – Invisible Workers of the World and the Nomad University initiatives).

Development

Municipality of Ljubljana envisions the renovation of the degraded area (over 51,700 m2) in the context of the creative industries and has not yet seriously considered the findings about the needs for space by the Rog's temporary users. According to the municipal plans, based on a public-private partnership the main building is to be transformed in Rog Contemporary Arts Centre with exhibiting spaces (1,900 m2), production centre, studios and artist in residence programmes (3,400 m2), art shops, educational spaces and mediatheque in symbiosis with the commercial areas such as parking places, apartments, shops, bars, restaurants, hotel etc. The ratio of this symbiosis, however, tends to be in strong favour of the private commercial activities (80 % of the total area).

In 2008 Municipality of Ljubljana published a public tender for the renovation which was won by the MX-SI Architects from Barcelona (with former leading urbanist Marjan Bežan in the team), in 2011 the winner of the competition for the extension of the Gösta Contemporary Art Museum in Mänttä, Finland.

In 2010 Municipality of Ljubljana joined the Central European project Second Chance in which it takes the transformation of the former Rog factory as a case study, compared to Nueremberg (former AEG factory), Leipzig (HALLE 14 of the former Cotton Spinning Mill), Venice (the Arsenale), and Krakow (the tram depot in the St. Lawrence district). The project aims at developing innovative strategies and concepts to upgrade the former industrial site to a key cultural hub in the city.

http://www.culture.si/en/Tovarna_Rog

Info from a more mainstream source if you want it.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Lol what? Non-Slovenians can sign this? This petition probably won't be accepted at all then
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by kalypto
signed

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
then don't sign it

But I want to since you asked me to...

Thanks for posting more stuff about it. I'll look into it some more.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Carnivean
Lol what? Non-Slovenians can sign this? This petition probably won't be accepted at all then

okay don't think for a second that im writing this for you because you're one of the last people i'd ask for this or expect support from, but since other people might have similar concerns...

what actually happens with the petition is irrelevant, the only aim is to publicly apply pressure to the authorities

Metelkova Mesto, a similar cultural collective that was once a Yugoslav military barracks, very close to Tovarna Rog, has been a target for demolition for years and there has never been any official petition (that i know of) signed, that would demand anything from the gov't

however solely through public interest and the efforts of its users it seems to have reached an agreement with the current mayor and his office. it's most likely not the end of its troubles with the municipality but at least for now its future seems to be fairly stable

people are trying to achieve the same with Tovarna Rog. the foreign signatures show that apart from the local artists and youth, it also interests foreigners and might be a viable tourist site for more alternative minded folk

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Apr 30, 2016,
Who knows why foreigners would sign it though? Maybe they're just helping out a friend. Kinda like this thread. I dunno how you could determine that non-Slovenians who sign it are seriously interested in touristing just because they sign it.

I would leave the assessment of tourist potential up to experts, businessmen etc. as far as getting the govt to stop demolishing things they like, well you need your own citizens to stand up for that. If you can't get your own citizens, then the cause is failed
Quote by Overlord
actually translated and read about the first half. Good stuff.

I signed
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Vedna za domovino
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Carnivean
Who knows why foreigners would sign it though? Maybe they're just helping out a friend. Kinda like this thread. I dunno how you could determine that non-Slovenians who sign it are seriously interested in touristing just because they sign it.

I would leave the assessment of tourist potential up to experts, businessmen etc. as far as getting the govt to stop demolishing things they like, well you need your own citizens to stand up for that. If you can't get your own citizens, then the cause is failed

lol

Quote by k.lainad
actually translated and read about the first half. Good stuff.

I signed

Quote by Pastafarian96
Vedna za domovino

hvala

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK_eYzZGH9Q

is this where your name comes from (not the video specifically, but these jam sessions), and are u in this video?
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
is this where your name comes from (not the video specifically, but these jam sessions), and are u in this video?

yes

and no, but i would very much like to be

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Cool, well I signed it. gdluck
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
thanks bae

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
So am I right in concluding that the city government wants to tear down an established cultural center, in order to build a new cultural center that pretty much excludes the people who established the current cultural center?

Yo jam, which country do I live in according to that list?
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lol

Sorry, JSF, forgive me for bringing up actual intelligent points. What would you rather hear? "It's gonna work!" "This is an effective means to your end!"?

I can say those things if that makes you feel better
Quote by Overlord
Quote by ultimate-slash
So am I right in concluding that the city government wants to tear down an established cultural center, in order to build a new cultural center that pretty much excludes the people who established the current cultural center?

on paper yes, although realistically this will probably end up being a failed shopping center with 20% cultural area at best. and the building will begin in no less than 10 to 15 years at which point the investors will either be bankrupt or in jail because of corruption, because that's just how shit goes down in slovenia.

ok im being a little melancholic, but generally the state has not shown a lot of talent for building stuff. the stožice stadium still hasn't been completely finished even tho it began construction in 2011

Quote by ultimate-slash
Yo jam, which country do I live in according to that list?

Nizozemska

Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
lol

I gotchu homie

ayy

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Carnivean
Sorry, JSF, forgive me for bringing up actual intelligent points. What would you rather hear? "It's gonna work!" "This is an effective means to your end!"?

I can say those things if that makes you feel better

i aint mad at you bae

but yeah i knew you were just gonna bring up the 'feel better' thing no matter what i say, so i'd rather just type out a condescending 'lol' and be done with it

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
on paper yes, although realistically this will probably end up being a failed shopping center with 20% cultural area at best. and the building will begin in no less than 10 to 15 years at which point the investors will either be bankrupt or in jail because of corruption, because that's just how shit goes down in slovenia.

ok im being a little melancholic, but generally the state has not shown a lot of talent for building stuff. the stožice stadium still hasn't been completely finished even tho it began construction in 2011

Nizozemska

ayy

Thanks, I was trusting in Google Translate, but I should have just Wiki'd it

edit:

14 s per 28 posts :')

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
i aint mad at you bae

but yeah i knew you were just gonna bring up the 'feel better' thing no matter what i say, so i'd rather just type out a condescending 'lol' and be done with it

No matter what you say? Well, what were you going to say?
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
No matter what you say? Well, what were you going to say?

lots of really smart stuff

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff

I would think you would actually care about the effectiveness of this petition, but I guess don't wanna hear any critique about it. Shutting all that out is easier I guess I hope you get what you deserve
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
I would think you would actually care about the effectiveness of this petition, but I guess don't wanna hear any critique about it. Shutting all that out is easier I guess I hope you get what you deserve

Yep and thank you

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Yep and thank you

So you just don't care that the petition is kinda dumb for what you're trying to accomplish with it?
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
So you just don't care that the petition is kinda dumb for what you're trying to accomplish with it?

Da

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Da

Are you dumb?
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Are you dumb?

You do get that you're just keeping this thread bumped, right?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You do get that you're just keeping this thread bumped, right?

Oh shit you're right. That never occurred to me.

Whew, thank god it doesn't matter at all
Quote by Overlord
Page 1 of 2