I'm getting kinda tired of playing hours of technical exercises and scales without learning any music. But finding music I like that is withing my grasp is a challenge, so if any of you could recommend some death metal that isn't too hard to play I would greatly appreciate that.

Here are some Death Metal bands that I like: Aeon, Cattle Decapitation, Opeth, Hideous Divinity( who I highly recommend checking out if you haven't), Fallujah, Death(my favorite), Alkaloid, Cannibal Corpse, Decapitated, Necrophagist, Wintersun and more.

While I am prepared for a challenge, pretty much all of these bands write stuff that is far more challenging than I can play write now, but I'm hoping somebody can recommend something that will be a do-able challenge.

I would prefer that any recommendation be somewhere sorta close to E or D standard. I only have one guitar, and while I am saving up for a sweet 7 string right now, that's at least a couple months off. Though if you have recs for when I get that, that's cool too.

I also feel that I should mention that if you have recommendations that aren't Death Metal specifically, that's cool too! DM just happens to be what I'm really in the mood for right now.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Apr 30, 2016,
Opeth - Masters Apprentice
Opeth - Baying of the Hounds
Opeth - When
Opeth - Black Rose Immortal
Opeth - The Apostle in Triumph
Opeth - The Drapery Falls
Opeth - Hex Omega
Opeth - The Grand Conjuration
Opeth - Deliverance
Opeth - Wreath
Opeth - Dirge for November
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Advent

Most of Opeths' music not challenging, except for some of Still Life and some of their newer stuff, but if you keep on practicing, you will find that even that most of their music is easy. The songs I listed are songs I learnt quite quickly when I started playing guitar.
Last edited by memphes at Apr 30, 2016,
Pull the Plug by Death was one of my first favorites when I started. Not too technical or too fast, still awesome
I pretty much agree with memphes. However, I have been playing for several years and am still challenged by some of those. Note though that I suck and don't practice often

My recommendations would all be by Death, namely Symbolic, Flesh and the Power it Holds, and Crystal Mountain.
Quote by djentgo
Carcass - Heartwork

Ah, that's a great song. I'll definitely make sure to learn that one. It has a pretty simple solo too.

Quote by memphes
Opeth - Masters Apprentice
Opeth - Baying of the Hounds
Opeth - When
Opeth - Black Rose Immortal
Opeth - The Apostle in Triumph
Opeth - The Drapery Falls
Opeth - Hex Omega
Opeth - The Grand Conjuration
Opeth - Deliverance
Opeth - Wreath
Opeth - Dirge for November
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Advent

Most of Opeths' music not challenging, except for some of Still Life and some of their newer stuff, but if you keep on practicing, you will find that even that most of their music is easy. The songs I listed are songs I learnt quite quickly when I started playing guitar.

Well I've started learning Masters Apprentices as of today. I can't believe I never tried to learn it considering its one of my favorite Opeth songs. But man, that fact that I never learn songs really shows when I try to play this stuff. Its not super complicated, I'm just not used to it. Thanks a ton for all of these suggestions!

Quote by Keskimaki
Pull the Plug by Death was one of my first favorites when I started. Not too technical or too fast, still awesome

Quote by nyarlthotep57
I pretty much agree with memphes. However, I have been playing for several years and am still challenged by some of those. Note though that I suck and don't practice often

My recommendations would all be by Death, namely Symbolic, Flesh and the Power it Holds, and Crystal Mountain.

I love Death's music, heck Schuldiner is my favorite guitar player, but the only issue is that the solos are almost never within reach.

Although I did at one point know all of Crystal Mountain, I've just forgotten a good chunk of it. And I'll try Pull The Plug once I've finished Masters Apprentices. I can't remember how difficult the solo in that song is, hopefully not too shreddy.

And Memphes, like I said, I could probably re-learn Crystal Mountain, but a lot of Death stuff is well beyond my level. Especially anything off of The Sound of Perseverance. I've just gotta be diligent with my practice routine and then hopefully I can play that, it is my favorite song off of my favorite album ever after all. I'm not expecting too much but I will definitely try Symbolic. Thanks.

Quote by StupidGenius11
Black metal instead of death, but Freezing Moon by Mayhem is always a blast to play.

I'll check it out. I really don't listen to enough black metal honestly. Just some Behemoth, a couple of Immortal songs and a Watain song. So I'm definitely eager to dive a little deeper into the genre. Thanks.

Quote by AvoidingBee7
December flower by inflames

I'll definitely check this one out. I've heard that In Flames is a good band, I've just never listened to them in my life. I guess this is the time to start! Thanks.

And long post complete! Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've gotten a bunch just here but if anyone else has more, please don't hesitate. I wanna be busy for the foreseeable future.
Here's my suggestions:
The Promethean Song - Insomnium (D Standard)
Countless Skies - Be'Lakor (Drop D)
Nymphetamine Fix - Cradle of Filth (D Standard)

I'm not sure if CoF counts as DeathMetal, but I'll list it anyways
also, most of these are melodic death metal songs, if the melodic is not what you're looking for, sorry :/
Quote by Parac
Here's my suggestions:
The Promethean Song - Insomnium (D Standard)
Countless Skies - Be'Lakor (Drop D)
Nymphetamine Fix - Cradle of Filth (D Standard)

I'm not sure if CoF counts as DeathMetal, but I'll list it anyways
also, most of these are melodic death metal songs, if the melodic is not what you're looking for, sorry :/

Thanks! I'm not sure what CoF counts as either, but I'll check it out! I love melodic death metal actually, in fact I prefer it! I listed Wintersun didn't I? But yeah, I'd take Wintersun over Cannibal Corpse anyday. Once again thanks for the suggestions! I can't say I've listened to any of the bands aside from one CoF song, but I'll check it out.
You could try Zombie Ritual by Death. In terms of picking it's quite fast, but it's totally not among their most difficult songs.

Spirit Crusher shouldn't be that difficult either. At least when compared to the rest of The Sound of Perseverance songs.
"Conquer All" and "Ov Fire and the Void" by Behemoth

Seems both songs are easy to cover on the electric guitar. Check them out if you are interested.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter