If not, I'll know
I'm just my father's son

I took her down the same gravel road
that Daddy took Momma down years ago
Through washed out places
and sticking briars
There ain't much warmth from a hungry fire
Morbidly done

I feel like this one could use more development of the narrative--a verse or two more to tell the story in more detail
I've been on the fence about that very thing. I had a few other verse ideas going, but they were metaphorical and felt forced. I wanted a barebones, gritty tone, but another verse wouldn't detract from that too much I don't think.
I agree, additional metaphor wouldn't necessarily produce a grittier tone (unless it's a very well-chosen, well-executed metaphor).

I'd encourage you to go for another verse, perhaps focusing on sense experiences (sights, sounds, etc.) as details added to the narrative. Keeping it barebones, of course, but small additions could go a long way. Throwing in a few select adjectives, like you've done in the chorus (e.g., gravel [functions as an adjective], washed out, sticking, hungry) might be the ticket.
I have very little to add on top of AH's suggestion.

I like taking a dark subject and owning it - I like the Daddy-issues without being whiny, instead you're illustrating how those issues are manifesting themselves.

I'm not so sure on the last line of the chorus - but I think I might just being pedantic - the hungry fire - maybe a different adjective. Overall a good piece, I enjoyed reading it.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo