hey ladys and gents, I've got an old Washburn idol series guitar In need of a new neck. im not looking for an exact Washburn replacement just curious as to where i can get a decent quality neck on a budget (cheaper the better!). after trawling through amazon and ebay finding a plethora of imports from all over, I'm lost as to what to go for or where to go next, help! haha
Last edited by alftheworldaway at May 1, 2016,
Guitars with bolt-on necks are not made with standardised dimensions unless you own a Fender or some other ultra common guitar.

It means that chances are, only a neck from another Washburn Idol will fit the body properly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
cheers buddy, Im not to fussy about it following the curve of the body as long as the width is correct and it sits where it needs to. I've a seen a few of the fender replacements with the same width with the higher frets on the fretboard going past the length of the neck itself, I could just saw these off as I just want something playable.
I've gotten a good amount of quality parts from guitarpartsonline.com - just contact the guy via the website with dimensions you need to see if he can meet them. He's pretty helpful and might accommodate that stuff. I think there is a Jackson style, Strat, Tele and Kramer styles of necks. Prices are actually pretty decent too
[Aren't Washburn Idol's set neck?

And what TooDeepBlue ment was not fitting NOT as far as aesthetics are concerned but every company has their own standard of neck dimensions (some have more than one) and if you won't get a neck with same exact heel dimensions and heel-body contact point, you get a guitar that you won't be able to tune/intonate (among many other problems that might occur) and is simply unplayable.
Last edited by tsc86 at May 1, 2016,
Quote by alftheworldaway
I've a seen a few of the fender replacements with the same width with the higher frets on the fretboard going past the length of the neck itself, I could just saw these off as I just want something playable.

That's not how it works, buddy.

The fact that the fingerboard on some necks extend past the neck heel means that unless the old neck you had also came with a fingerboard extension of exactly the same dimensions, then it is simply not going to work. The area where the neck bolts on would be in a different location to where they're supposed to be and so intonating the new neck would be completely impossible. You would've wasted $100 on a guitar neck that was of no use to you.

Just because a guitar has a bolt-on neck doesn't mean that you can bolt any old neck onto any old body. Like I've said, get a neck from another Washburn Idol if repairing the old neck is not an option. Try to get a neck from a Washburn Idol that was of the exact same model as what you originally had.

Otherwise, there's no guarantee that anything else you'll buy will fit.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by alftheworldaway
hey ladys and gents, I've got an old Washburn idol series guitar In need of a new neck. im not looking for an exact Washburn replacement just curious as to where i can get a decent quality neck on a budget (cheaper the better!).

You need an exact Washburn replacement. Bolt necks can be VERY different in how and where they attach, and you can find yourself with a neck that doesn't even sound the right note when you fret something. You don't simply bolt in a random neck and assume it will work. Not.