Hey Guitarists!

Been playing for nearly a year now and want to change my setup a bit. Currently i got a Jackson with a Poplar body and high output pickups with a solid state amp. Yes, i know, not a good setup. So i want to get a new guitar and a new amp, i was thinking just get an Esp and leave the stocks in it, although id really love to replace them with duncans.

But heres my question: Should i buy a new guitar worth 500$ or buy a cheaper guitar and then buy a Amp like the Orange Micro terror?(TUbe preamp)
If you're interested in an improved sound, it would benefit you more to dedicate the entire budget to a new amp
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I have to agree, a new amp should be top priority. Your Jackson is good enough to get the job done.

Let us know what your musical preferences/influences are and what your space/size requirements are. You can get some nice amps on the used market with $500 dollars.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
You can make just about any guitar sound good through a great amp. Not the other way around. Tone wise get the best amp you can for the entire budget. And depending on what kind of music you like a pedal too
Thanks for all the replys! I just heard that Poplar was a shitty wood and considered buying a New guitar :/. I dont play gigs, i mostly just jam out in my room with it cranked pretty loud. I just dont wanna be replacing the tubes every 5 weeks. I want them to last like 3 months.
Quote by dinik
Thanks for all the replys! I just heard that Poplar was a shitty wood and considered buying a New guitar :/. I dont play gigs, i mostly just jam out in my room with it cranked pretty loud. I just dont wanna be replacing the tubes every 5 weeks. I want them to last like 3 months.

Tubes last waaaaayyyyy longer than that.

Also don't worry too much about the poplar - long as the guitar plays well and the electric bits aren't too crummy, it's fine. If you like, you can take the guitar to a tech or luthier and have them set it up for you, just to get the most out of it.

You seem to have enough money to get yourself a pretty nice amp. Depending on where you're located, what music you play and if you're willing to consider used gear, we can make some recommendations.
Quote by dinik

Valves usually last years before they might ever require replacement. Although it depends on how the amp is biased (most are biased very cold for maximum valve life) and how loud you're using the amp on a regular basis.

The wood in your current guitar is not going to matter. There is a long, loooooong list of things that are so much more important and make such a bigger difference that any difference the wood could be making will be drowned out by those other variables anyway.

What styles of music do you play? What bands do you want to sound like? What features are you looking for in an amp? Are you willing to go used? Where are you located? Do you have a good used market where you live?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Im planning on buying a new one. I live in California bout an hour from San Diego and love metal. Metal is my thing and i always play down tuned. Plus my current pickup is wayyyy to hot for my SS amp
A 6505+ combo would be a good place to start looking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Another vote for a 6505/5150 combo. You may be quite surprised at how that Jackson sounds when you plug into one!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by dinik
Im planning on buying a new one. I live in California bout an hour from San Diego and love metal. Metal is my thing and i always play down tuned. Plus my current pickup is wayyyy to hot for my SS amp

You're near SD? You should be able to find a good deal on a used Carvin V3 or one of their older models.

A new V3MC- a 50w mini combo- runs about $680 new.

If you want to stick with SS, their SX300 is fully metal capable, and is well within your price range:
http://www.carvinaudio.com/collections/sx-series/products/sx300
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r7yFc7StPYs
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 2, 2016,
To go against what everyone is saying about tubes, if you're only playing at home, getting to the sweet spot of those amps requires cranking them up to levels your neighbors may not approve of.

If you're still trying to discover your personal sound, and don't want to invest money into an item you may regret or feel pigeon holed in, a modeler may be your best bet. It's still SS, but gives you a lot more versatility than a 6505 kind of amp. If you'd prefer that round, once you started performing outside your bedroom, maybe you'll have a much stronger personal opinion about what it is you want from your guitar.

Something like a Flextone is something I'd recommend in those cases.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by megano28
To go against what everyone is saying about tubes, if you're only playing at home, getting to the sweet spot of those amps requires cranking them up to levels your neighbors may not approve of.

If you're still trying to discover your personal sound, and don't want to invest money into an item you may regret or feel pigeon holed in, a modeler may be your best bet. It's still SS, but gives you a lot more versatility than a 6505 kind of amp. If you'd prefer that round, once you started performing outside your bedroom, maybe you'll have a much stronger personal opinion about what it is you want from your guitar.

why do people still say this?

you can play a tube amp at any volume you want.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

Of course you can
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Quote by AcousticMirror

+1 bullshit.

I guess there are still some people who think that the earth is flat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by megano28

It goes against what everyone here says because we've grown out of that ignorance. The reality is that some amps may sound great at low volumes and be all valve. Some sound like shit at low volumes and they'll be all valve too. Has nothing to do with the fact that the amp is valve.

If this confuses you, please read this article.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_guide_to/killing_the_myths_of_low_volume_amp_performance.html

The Flextone is a modelling amp where its higher gain models are purposefully designed to sound like a 6505. It's an amp that tries to pigeonhole itself as being a 6505. But even then, it's second rate at doing that.

I'd say buy a 6505 if a great high gain metal tone is 99% of the reason you want a new amp. There's a good modding community for the 6505+ 112 combo, and the mods you can do with that amp (with the help of an EQ and a TS9) can make it rip. As a metal player, I'd rather have an amp that is a one trick pony (but kicks ass at that one trick) than an amp that's capable of doing all kinds of sounds, but all of them are done mediocrely. But that's just me.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The minute the word "metal" was uttered I figured folks would be plugging the 6505+ combo. As they should, it's the go to amp for the brutalz. That and they are still fairly abundant on the market and relatively easy to find in most larger music stores.

I'd like to suggest the Peavey Ultra Plus combo amps (Ultra 212 or Ultra 112). They can still be found for good prices on the used market and sound really great. The Peavey XXX combo amps can be found for decent prices as well.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
a DSL2000 or JCA can do metal very easily, and both are very versatile should your interests begin to change.

Also when it comes to metal, or any genre with more gain than anything, your tone will mostly be coming from the preamp, so power amp distortion isn't necessary. you have a master volume, sue it!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It goes against what everyone here says because we've grown out of that ignorance. The reality is that some amps may sound great at low volumes and be all valve. Some sound like shit at low volumes and they'll be all valve too. Has nothing to do with the fact that the amp is valve.

If this confuses you, please read this article.

That particular statement was geared towards the 6505. The tubes comment was more for looking at something more versatile, rather than an amp like is being recommended. Which I stand by. That( 6505) amp sounds best at higher volumes. Doesn't mean it sounds like shit.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_guide_to/killing_the_myths_of_low_volume_amp_performance.html

The Flextone is a modelling amp where its higher gain models are purposefully designed to sound like a 6505. It's an amp that tries to pigeonhole itself as being a 6505. But even then, it's second rate at doing that.

Are you seriously saying that a modeling amp pigeonholed anything? If anything, I'd accept that it's a jack of all trades, master of none argument, as it's valid. You're implying the exact opposite, which contradicts what a modeling amp does.

From my personal experience, and watching people ask for advice here, those that ask for suggestions with no other information other than a genre they like should not be buying a specific sound amp. Their taste and experience isn't developed enough typically to make the right choice about what they want. Rather than invest hundreds more into an amp he could end up losing money on when he decides he wants the sound of a Marshall or Mesa Boogie instead.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Don't argue haha. Just need some answers :P.

What do you guys think of a v22 infinium. I'm planning on getting that and replacing the tubes right away cause I heard their shit. And it's quite cheap, So I'll have left over for a Digitech tl2 distortion pedal!
Save yourself some trouble and pick up a used 6505+ 112 combo for $350 (you should be able to find about 10,000 of them for sale in SoCal). Spend the next $90 of your budget on an Eminence Governor 16ohm speaker. If you still have it in your budget, pick up a used Tubescreamer (any OD pedal will do, really).

Ignore the comments about it "needing to be cranked" to get good tone. It will blow your solid state amp away anywhere from whisper volumes all the way to ear-bleed levels. They sound GREAT at low volumes. But they can bury a drummer too, if that's your thing.

And if you're interested in modding, I can sort you out there as well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Save yourself some trouble and pick up a used 6505+ 112 combo for $350 (you should be able to find about 10,000 of them for sale in SoCal). Spend the next $90 of your budget on an Eminence Governor 16ohm speaker. If you still have it in your budget, pick up a used Tubescreamer (any OD pedal will do, really).

Ignore the comments about it "needing to be cranked" to get good tone. It will blow your solid state amp away anywhere from whisper volumes all the way to ear-bleed levels. They sound GREAT at low volumes. But they can bury a drummer too, if that's your thing.

/thread
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by megano28
That particular statement was geared towards the 6505. The tubes comment was more for looking at something more versatile, rather than an amp like is being recommended. Which I stand by. That( 6505) amp sounds best at higher volumes. Doesn't mean it sounds like shit.

I disagree. The power valve saturation you get with high volumes isn't the sort of tone that is associated with the 6505. It can make the low end sag as volumes increase which pushes the amp away from the tightness in the low end that the amp is famous for.

Not to mention that all things that are musical sound better louder anyway. So to say that any amp sounds better when it's loud is in some part to do with the illusion of how we perceive sound, not a function of the amp itself.
Are you seriously saying that a modeling amp pigeonholed anything? If anything, I'd accept that it's a jack of all trades, master of none argument, as it's valid. You're implying the exact opposite, which contradicts what a modeling amp does.

Modelling amps try to tonally pigeonhole themselves as something they're not with all their amp models trying to emulate popular amps. I don't see how this is so hard for you to understand. But whatever, it really isn't all that important. What really matters is if it sounds good. Whether you consider it a 'pigeon hole' amp or not is irrelevant.
From my personal experience, and watching people ask for advice here, those that ask for suggestions with no other information other than a genre they like should not be buying a specific sound amp. Their taste and experience isn't developed enough typically to make the right choice about what they want. Rather than invest hundreds more into an amp he could end up losing money on when he decides he wants the sound of a Marshall or Mesa Boogie instead.

Well if I had a modelling amp and I found that I prefered the sound of a Marshall, I would sell the amp and proceed to buy a Marshall. If I buy a 6505 and found that I'd rather have a Marshall, I would proceed to sell the 6505 and buy a Marshall. I'd be losing money either way.

Gaining more experience when it comes to how an amp sounds and how one wants it to sound is something that comes naturally in either situation.

And what if he really loves the tone of a 6505, (and lets face it he probably will find something to like about it) the most popular high gain valve amp in the music industry, one made famous by thousands and thousands of metal bands the world over? If he likes any metal tones that are remotely modern sounding, the chances of him liking it are going to be great.

There's no right or wrong answer on whether a modelling or valve amp would be more suitable in this situation. They're both viable choices. But I'd rather risk for something better than to compromise because I wasn't sure I was going to like it. And it's hardly a serious risk to take anyway; Youtube amp demos exist for this sort of thing!
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 3, 2016,
I will have to agree that tone woods don't really matter on solid body electric guitars, the sound difference is negligible at best, the used 6505 combo is a great budget valve amp for metal tones, +1 on a speaker upgrade!

I have a 6505+ 120 watt head playing through a 4X12 with 2 Eminence Swamp Thang and 2 Texas Heat, it gets some brutal high gain metal tones and great crunch tones as well even at low volumes
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by megano28
That particular statement was geared towards the 6505. The tubes comment was more for looking at something more versatile, rather than an amp like is being recommended. Which I stand by. That( 6505) amp sounds best at higher volumes. Doesn't mean it sounds like shit...

my 5150 block letter does fine at 3am. don't know what your problem with it is.

poweramp distortion died decades ago (time period wise, some still chose to emulate it).

master volumes exist for a reason.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^some amps/tones still rely on power tube distortion FYI

Quote by KailM

+311

TS:

1.) There is a post in the Rules and Resources sticky on how to get good amp advice. You've provided most all of that by now but just wanted to point that out.

2.) I would stear clear of the Bugera V22. It is a cool amp but not geared for what you want to play.

3.) There is a 6505+112 combo on the San Diego craigslist if you are interested. There is also a Peavey VIP3 100w combo for like $225 if you are more into the modeling thing. I have a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and recommend one of those if you can find one.
Power amp "distortion" (I'd call it grind) is healthy and living in all tube poweramps...don't know why some people keep on insisting that it is dead. It is one of the reasons why power amps win the day for the most part in everyone's rig. Even mildly cranked tube amp starts to exhibit some of this grind as the amp opens up, and sound "better" to unknowing ears. It is part of your tube tone, whether it is 6505 or an Orange, it is still there. Maybe not marketed as much anymore?

I am with Kail

thread/
Quote by diabolical
Power amp "distortion" (I'd call it grind) is healthy and living in all tube poweramps...don't know why some people keep on insisting that it is dead. It is one of the reasons why power amps win the day for the most part in everyone's rig. Even mildly cranked tube amp starts to exhibit some of this grind as the amp opens up, and sound "better" to unknowing ears. It is part of your tube tone, whether it is 6505 or an Orange, it is still there. Maybe not marketed as much anymore?

I am with Kail

thread/

There might be some coloration, even some "distortion," but that distorting isn't a result of the power amp being driven beyond it's limits unless it is cranked up quite a bit. That is what people are referring to when they say power amp distortion is a trend of the past.

I agree with you that a tube power amp will provide some coloration (or at least I have found in my experience that it does), but the point is that what is considered a modern metal/rock guitar tone does not depend on the power amp to provide all the distortion, or even most of it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.