Hello everyone,

I have a 1997 Marshall Bluesbreaker amp. It's not the 35th anniversary white edition. It's the 50 watt black version, and I'm having a bit of a hard time getting some information on my amp, because most of everything I find, is for the 35th anniversary white edition, not the black version. I bought it used and don't have any real documentation to go with it.

My question is if it is hand wired? The serial number is M-1997-40-0834-A. From my research of Marshall serial numbers is, that, it was built in England in 1997 around August or September I believe. On the amp, there are certification stickers with the name of the person who wired it, along with the name of the person who inspected it. To me this tells me it is in fact hand wired. Is this correct or not?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
(free bump day)

Why don't you just open it up and look?

Take some pictures for us while you are it. There are several definitions of 'hand wired' when it comes to amps so we won't know unless we see it. Just be careful not to touch anything on the inside of the chassis and you'll be fine. You can touch the outside of the chassis, including the transformers, all you want. I tell you that because you will need to grab those probably in order to successfully lift the chassis out of the headshell. They are the big heavy square things.

I actually doubt that it is truly hand wired in the traditional sense. Someone may have manually hooked up the power section or pots but don't be shocked if most of the signal wiring is PCB.
Might be tough getting specific info here. I would think the Marshall forums would be better help

That being said have you tried calling Marshall and asking there?

Also nice seeing you again
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
(free bump day)

Why don't you just open it up and look?

Take some pictures for us while you are it. There are several definitions of 'hand wired' when it comes to amps so we won't know unless we see it. Just be careful not to touch anything on the inside of the chassis and you'll be fine. You can touch the outside of the chassis, including the transformers, all you want. I tell you that because you will need to grab those probably in order to successfully lift the chassis out of the headshell. They are the big heavy square things.

I actually doubt that it is truly hand wired in the traditional sense. Someone may have manually hooked up the power section or pots but don't be shocked if most of the signal wiring is PCB.

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit leery of completely opening it up to see. I'm just a novice when it comes to electronics, and I don't want to damage or break anything. How "idiot proof", for lack of a better term, is it to open without damaging or breaking anything?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Might be tough getting specific info here. I would think the Marshall forums would be better help

That being said have you tried calling Marshall and asking there?

Also nice seeing you again

Thanks for the suggestion, I did post a comment in that thread too, but haven't got any replies yet.

Thank you! It's great to be back!
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
^ Good point. A real Handwired version reissue is probably twice the cost of the non hand wired PCB version.

Quote by Led Head
Thanks for your help. I'm a bit leery of completely opening it up to see. I'm just a novice when it comes to electronics, and I don't want to damage or break anything. How "idiot proof", for lack of a better term, is it to open without damaging or breaking anything?

You won't hurt anything. I've not opened a Bluesbreaker but if my Valveking is similar I'd flip it upside down. Unscrew the 4 screws that hold the chassis to the cabinet. Possibly unhook the speakers if needed. Slide it out. Take a picture. Slide it back in. I actually have a clone of sorts and I made a blog in my profile that might give you further safety instructions. Mine is a head though.

If you took the chassis completely out and put both hands inside the chassis and accidently touched the wrong parts then yes - you could seriously hurt or kill yourself. Do like I said and you won't hurt anything including you.

Most of Marshall's reissue amps that are truely handwired have a HW at the end. Like Marshall Bluesbreaker 1962HW.

Here is what a reissue handwired one would look like using an eyelet board:

Here is what a reissue non handwired one would look like using PCB:

As I mentioned, even on the PCB version there is some hand wiring going on. A machine can't do everything.* That's probably what is causing you confusion.

Is this your amp?

http://www.kenstanton.com/Marshall-Handwired-1962-Bluesbreaker-30-Combo-Amp-p/msh1962hw.htm
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 5, 2016,
This is the inside of my amp. It looks as though its the PCB model with only partial hand wiring. My amp is the 50 watt version with tremelo.

My next question is, how much do these sell for now? I'm thinking of getting a bit smaller combo amp. I really love this amp, but it's a bit too heavy and isn't very portable for what I use it for. Also to get the tone I'm looking for, I have to have it cranked, and it tends to drown out the rest of the band :P and I therefore can't quite get the tone/distortion that I want from it.

The other option is to find a good attenuator to use with it. One that doesn't colour the sound too much. I bought a Weber Mass attentuator, but it broke. If there is a guide to how to fix this attenuator I wouldn't mind trying to fix it first before buying a new one.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall DSL40C
Last edited by Led Head at May 6, 2016,
that's pcb. I mean yes there's a bit of handwiring that has to go into every amp but just the flying leads isn't technically considered handwired.

Seems like people are pricing these anywhere from 1400-2k with the handwired version going for 200 more.

My favorite attentuator right now is the fryette power station.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i rarlely advocate for an attenuator (i don't have much experience with them to be honest), but this is probably a scenario in which i would.

how small are you thinking of going if you get a new amp? you may be able to shed 10 lbs getting something different, but that (to me anyways) is worth having a nice tube amp.

wheels are a good thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i rarlely advocate for an attenuator (i don't have much experience with them to be honest), but this is probably a scenario in which i would.

how small are you thinking of going if you get a new amp? you may be able to shed 10 lbs getting something different, but that (to me anyways) is worth having a nice tube amp.

wheels are a good thing.

I was thinking of a 30 watt combo amp. I was thinking of maybe the Marshall DSL40 or the Orange TH30. Maybe the Orange AD30, but it's a bit too dear for me, and it's also quite heavy as well.

I do have casters on my Bluesbreaker which helps a lot, but doesn't help for lugging it up stairs lol.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall DSL40C
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Did you want something in the same kind of style as your Bluesbreaker? Fender has a new line called the Bassbreaker and it does really good classic rock and British blues tones. I really like the clean sounds they can produce as well. Most of the range are single channel amps but the 18/30 is a 2 channel one.

You could also get something like an 18 watt kit if you don't mind the volume.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've got one other question I was hoping that you guys might be able to help me with. I'm trying to figure out which tubes (if any) are used in the rectifier of this amp. I know which tubes are the power tubes. But there are a lot of other tubes on the amp, and am curious as to which ones are the rectifier tubes. I believe it should be the tube on the far right in the picture, is that correct? Or if someone is able to find the spec sheet for this amp it would be greatly appreciated! I'll post a picture below of what the amp looks like.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall DSL40C
Last edited by Led Head at Mar 5, 2017,
get some lube, this thread is necro
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Led Head
I've got one other question I was hoping that you guys might be able to help me with. I'm trying to figure out which tubes (if any) are used in the rectifier of this amp. I know which tubes are the power tubes. But there are a lot of other tubes on the amp, and am curious as to which ones are the rectifier tubes. I believe it should be the tube on the far right in the picture, is that correct? Or if someone is able to find the spec sheet for this amp it would be greatly appreciated! I'll post a picture below of what the amp looks like.

GZ34 far right on the pic. The lone bigger tube IIRC
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster