Hello, ive been on here regarding my fret buzz a while back, anyway that has much improved still there, but not worth spending £40 to get it setup correctly, when i only paid £80 for it. So anyway i have a cheap spring loaded capo, and its causing problems and its rubbish. So i am deciding that im going to spend a few more pounds and get a nice capo. i like Shubb capos and they seems widely used.
Im not sure weather to get the Shubb C1, or the S1 what would you guys say i should buy?
thanks
~James
Those are both good choices and will both work well. The s1 is the "deluxe" version which may mean it could last longer than the c1, although both are pretty solid designs and neither is likely to break on you. I have the s1 and it works great. Paige capos are also pretty good.
Quote by derek8520
Those are both good choices and will both work well. The s1 is the "deluxe" version which may mean it could last longer than the c1, although both are pretty solid designs and neither is likely to break on you. I have the s1 and it works great. Paige capos are also pretty good.

is the S1 worth the extra money?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

oh, i would prefer to get one without a spring as i like the idea of being able to apply as much pressure as needed, without over doing it. Also a spring over time would (i imagine) become less efficient, and would need replacing sooner. than one without a spring
Quote by JamesHumphries4
oh, i would prefer to get one without a spring as i like the idea of being able to apply as much pressure as needed, without over doing it. Also a spring over time would (i imagine) become less efficient, and would need replacing sooner. than one without a spring

I can understand the novelty of being able to fully adjust how much tension the capo imparts on the neck, but in my experience it solves a problem that doesn't really exist. I've never had a problem with that capo imparting too much or too little tension on the strings because I always put the capo as close as possible to the barred fret without it fretting out that the strength of the spring 'bending' the string out of tune is not a problem I've ever noticed.

And the spring being very thick makes it extremely long lasting. It'll probably last long enough to out-spring you.

But at the end of the day, it's only a capo. They're cheap. Not much consequence to be had in buying a capo you don't like.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 1, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I can understand the novelty of being able to fully adjust how much tension the capo imparts on the neck, but in my experience it solves a problem that doesn't really exist. I've never had a problem with that capo imparting too much or too little tension on the strings because I always put the capo as close as possible to the barred fret without it fretting out that the strength of the spring 'bending' the string out of tune is not a problem I've ever noticed.

And the spring being very thick makes it extremely long lasting. It'll probably last long enough to out-spring you.

But at the end of the day, it's only a capo. They're cheap. Not much consequence to be had in buying a capo you don't like.

i am weary of buying a spring capo, ive bought a trigger style one for about £4 and its the biggest piece of rubbish ever! it works for about 5 strings then depending on which place i exert force depends on which E string works. and even so there is some buzzing, i dont want to buy a spring one and i get the same problem.
I don't like spring capos either. The Shubbs are OK, but I prefer screw capos like the Dunlop Victor or Planet Waves NS. The reason is that you adjust the pressure each time you use it, and don't drag the string out of tune. Even with a Shubb, I find I have to adjust the screw if I move to a different fret, never mind a different guitar.

The tuning problem can be alleviated by having the capo very close to the fret you are capoing.
Quote by JamesHumphries4
i am weary of buying a spring capo, ive bought a trigger style one for about £4 and its the biggest piece of rubbish ever! it works for about 5 strings then depending on which place i exert force depends on which E string works. and even so there is some buzzing, i dont want to buy a spring one and i get the same problem.

It could be that the capo you bought didn't have the correct fretboard radius for your guitar.

Either that or your capo was a really bad one, which for £4 I wouldn't rule that out. I think I had a capo like the one you're describing and it really was awful.

I've never had those problems with the Grover one though.

The Planet Waves ones are really good too. They're fully adjustable and well priced.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 1, 2016,
Quote by JamesHumphries4
is the S1 worth the extra money?

If you have an extra few pounds/dollars/whatever then yeah, just go for the s1.
My biased option again (I work for G7th), but have you tried a G7th Performance 2 capo? All you have to do to put it on the guitar is squeeze it into place as hard as you would a barre chord and it holds. To release you just squeeze the release lever. You have total control over the tension placed on the strings so you know it will stay in tune. They're lightweight, easy to store on the headstock or behind the nut and come with a Lifetime Warranty.