So I just picked up a very heavily used Ibanez RG321MH. I'm thinking this will be my metal guitar and I'm looking to replace the stock pickups. I was considering Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, would this be a good replacement? Any other pickups I should be considering? Thanks.
What would a set of John Petrucci Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups sound like in my guitar? Will the mahogany body make much of a difference to the sound?
Depends on your amp.
Will the mahogany body make much of a difference to the sound?

Not really, no.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
The mahogany won't make a difference when the guitar is plugged into the amp.

You should stalk the thomann website, they have demos for every single pick-up (as far as I know) and it's a generally good estimate of what they kind of sound like. I mean it's not perfect, because well different amp etc, but it'll get you the idea:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_crunch_lab_dp228_bk.htm

Personally, I prefer DiMarzio over Seymour Duncans, but each to their own.

Edit:

So I went off on a pick-up listening binge... and holy shit I have fallen in love with the Seymour Distortion SH-6 Distortion Mayhem set:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_ssh6_set_distortion_mayhem.htm

I've bought two. For me and what I want from a guitar tone, they slaughter the jazz pick up, but again, each to their own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVxuTL5Fic
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Last edited by Anthony1991 at May 1, 2016,
I got a Dimarzio Paf Jo and Dimarzio pro jo in my shred guitar. Works great. I have tried an Air Noirton and Air classic for a lower power setup sounded great. I had a Duncan JB in one of my partscasters and was not fond of that pickup.
I have an RG270 with the CrunchLab/Liquifire set and I really like it. Actually sounds pretty killer through my Bandit for bedroom practice, plenty of chunk and midrange grind I like. JB/Jazz combo is a safe choice too. They'll cover just about any style fairly well.

Is there anything specific you're looking for in your pickups? More clarity, output, different tone, anything like that?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
For a heavily used guitar, definitely check out ebay for used pups. No point spending twice as much on new ones when they will sound the same.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
I have the CL/LQ setup in a prestige. Great combination.

Don't fuss on the wood too much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I need to do a proper setup on this guitar before I change anything in it. Lots of fret buzz all over the neck. This guitar was abused.
Quote by 240SXNL
So I just picked up a very heavily used Ibanez RG321MH. I'm thinking this will be my metal guitar and I'm looking to replace the stock pickups. I was considering Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, would this be a good replacement? Any other pickups I should be considering? Thanks.

Depends on the kind of metal...if you are into 80s hard rock (what was called metal then), I'd go with the JB/Jazz. More modern metal I'd look at the Sentient/Pegasus, or even the black Winters for serious death.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Depends on the kind of metal...if you are into 80s hard rock (what was called metal then), I'd go with the JB/Jazz. More modern metal I'd look at the Sentient/Pegasus, or even the black Winters for serious death.

I'm not into the 80's metal. Modern for me.
Can someone link me to a site with information on doing Ibanez setups on a hardtail guitar? I haven't worked on an Ibanez in years.
Yeah then the Sentient/Pegasus or Black Winters would be my choice.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan