I need some advice on how to get a specific tone, similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg0zCD1XCtQ

I'm currently using a Marshall 1960a cab with a Jet City 333 head, but I'm actually shopping around for a decent combo amp to use at band practice. With that considered, what is the best way to get a similar tone to this one? is there a pedal or something that anyone could recommend.
A lot of that gain comes from some sort of pedal and very high output pickups. High-gain distortion boxes like the Boss HM-2, TC Dark Matter, or Digitech Death Metal are popular choices for someone on a budget.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Chuck used a Marshall Valvestate amp back then, with a BC Rich Stealth equipped with a DiMarzio X2N, hope that helps.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
Chuck used a Marshall Valvestate amp back then, with a BC Rich Stealth equipped with a DiMarzio X2N, hope that helps.

Thanks mate, that gives me a rough idea. I was thinking about getting a Marshall MG combo for practice but was told they are shit. Looking at a Fender 100w combo amp at the moment.

Quote by JustRooster
A lot of that gain comes from some sort of pedal and very high output pickups. High-gain distortion boxes like the Boss HM-2, TC Dark Matter, or Digitech Death Metal are popular choices for someone on a budget.

Thanks mate, I had a look at the Digitech death metal pedal and it seems they don't make them anymore, only found a few used ones on Ebay. I used to have a Boss HM-2 but sold it because it drained my batteries so quickly, I'll have to look up some reviews on the Dark matter pedal.
Quote by AmadeoQuattro
Thanks mate, that gives me a rough idea. I was thinking about getting a Marshall MG combo for practice but was told they are shit. Looking at a Fender 100w combo amp at the moment.

Fender is probably one of the last places I would look for the sound you are going for. Valvestates can be had used for super cheap, I'd look and see if I could find one.

Thanks mate, I had a look at the Digitech death metal pedal and it seems they don't make them anymore, only found a few used ones on Ebay. I used to have a Boss HM-2 but sold it because it drained my batteries so quickly, I'll have to look up some reviews on the Dark matter pedal.

You could get an adapter! The HM-2 is a pretty excellent pedal for this type of sound

See above. I think that you really want a Valvestate man. That amp NAILS this sound, with very little tweaking really.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Valvestate is the way to go here, as mentioned above -- with high-output pickups.

But, you may be able to get there with your Jet City, as long as you can get enough gain by boosting it with an OD pedal. But the key to getting that tone is to scoop your mids considerably. I know, I know, I'm going to get a ton of shit from the "modern metal" guys here -- but scooped mids is EXACTLY what you're hearing on that album (and it sounds awesome). Note -- I didn't say BURY your mids; I said scoop them. You need enough mids to be able to hear the bass guitar going through the mix. It would help if your Jet City had an effects loop, because then you could use an EQ pedal there as well to really fine tune the thing. Putting an EQ up front of the amp won't really achieve the desired results in this case.

As for an HM-2 -- yes they do eat batteries. If you have other effects pedals, and can run a daisy chain, that will feed the HM-2 with the correct voltage. Otherwise, you need a 12 volt adapter or use batteries. (It sounds best with batteries though IMO). It is a very finicky pedal. Furthermore, it's not exactly the same sound as that of the album Human. Yes, it can provide a dark, grim, and gnarly death metal tone, but in its own signature way. If you can't get that trademark Death tone with your JC and a boost pedal along with scooping the mids, then the HM-2 is the first pedal I'd reach for. It'll be different, but in no way less brutal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood