i'm looking to get a looper, something simple. i just need the ability to make loops, overdub, and undo/redo function.
i think i've read somewhere that the ditto has issues after a while with the switch, is it true?
the main contenders are the ditto, jamman express, boss rc-1, ehx 360.
is any one of them better than the rest?
any tips and advice would be appreciated
thanks
Here are some sites to get you started:

http://looperpedalreviews.com/

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/which-loop-pedal-should-i-choose

http://www.guitarsite.com/best-loop-pedal/

I use the Boss RC30 for jotting ideas and jamming and not for perfect time syncing for live performance. It's got something like 99 loops and memory of 3 hours and in stereo. However if you do need for live performance I suggest you get the additional Boss fs6 dual footswitch for quick real-time overdubbing. In any case, it's more affordable than the Boomerang III.
The Ditto is fine if you buy the warranty. I'd go with the RC1 or the 360 for no other reason that I wasn't all that impressed with the Ditto and I've had more issues with various Digitech products than every other brand combined. But really they're all a lotta fun and do the job well.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
The Ditto is fine if you buy the warranty. I'd go with the RC1 or the 360 for no other reason that I wasn't all that impressed with the Ditto and I've had more issues with various Digitech products than every other brand combined. But really they're all a lotta fun and do the job well.

Same, I got a Ditto as I rushed and the ditto effects my tone badly :/
I've had no issues with any digitech products I've had. I've had an original Jamman since they first came out. IIRC the external footswitch controls selecting the current loop. So unless newer Jammans are different I don't think you can control stop/start except with the switched on the actual unit.
Quote by Gab_Azz
Same, I got a Ditto as I rushed and the ditto effects my tone badly :/

Especially with overdubs. I already had a DL4 but thought I could use a dedicated looper but the sound q drop off from the DL4 to the Ditto left me unimpressed.

As for Digitech, 2 bricks in 2 years, the first a cheap vocal mfx, the second a Trio that bricked after just a couple months. Not to mention their annoyingly specific psa's. To be fair the Trio may be covered by the warranty, it's apparently a common issue, I just don't feel motivated to bother. The RP series is way behind most other mfx too, imo. I am a huge fan of the Hardwire CM2 od, awesome pedal, way underrated imo. But I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Digitech and have had enough issues that I won't be bothering with Digitech anymore. I'm poor, I can't afford junk.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
For a simple looper, I have used the Jamman Express for several years every day and it hasn't given up on me.
A DL4 or Line6 M9 is an amazing looper that does many other things. Choices get more complex if you want the looper to be capable of different things.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
^^ +1. I've owned several different loopers and like the DL4 the best, despite its 28 second record time. The only reason I'm not using the DL4 anymore is cause I upgraded to the M9, which is the same thing only the looper is 56 seconds (far more than I need) and sooo much more. The fx sound very good, intense, I'm highly impressed with the M9.
Strange, I always thought the Dl4 sound quality was quite low compared to the loopers out currently. I used a Flashback X4 as a looper for a couple years but the switches kept breaking. The EHX 720 Looper seems pretty good too. The Boss loopers have a lot of functionality, though I do think the sound gets muddy quite quickly from personal experience.
I think any muddy sound is due to the arrangement of the loops- think of it as a studio recording. If you add things that are all in the same EQ range, it gets muddy. I tend to vary pickups, tone knob settings, etc, as I build loops. Sounds I would never use by themselves sound great when layered.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I have a jamman solo and it's not perfect. It sounds great, Always clear, but here are some down sides.. looping distortion channels sounds just like pluging two guitars into one amp, the sound seem to cancel each other out and it sounds bad. This doesnt really happen when looping clean low gain channels. You have to plug your cords in after the jamman solo has booted up other wise it doesnt work. Lastly the jamman has a really cool fearure which lets you load sounds onto a micro sd card and then play them with the tap of a foot. This is awesome but it takes several seconds to load the sound effect before you can play it. The led blinks at you until it is ready to go. If you have a long sound effect, like a minute long, it takes a while....
Last edited by geo-rage at May 3, 2016,
All loopers will sound like crap if you feed them into a distortion channel, then play over the loop.
yeah i tried the looper on a friend's flashback x4 and had the same problem with looping distorted parts... thought it was maybe my amps fault
You have to put a distortion pedal in front of the looper, not use the gain channel of the amp (or put the looper in the effects loop).
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
what do you think about using the tc flashback/alter ego(and/or their X4 versions) as a looper? is it good enough compared to simple loopers like the ditto?
it's kinda killing two birds with one stone
Quote by sonictoothache
Here are some sites to get you started:

http://looperpedalreviews.com/

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/which-loop-pedal-should-i-choose

http://www.guitarsite.com/best-loop-pedal/

I use the Boss RC30 for jotting ideas and jamming and not for perfect time syncing for live performance. It's got something like 99 loops and memory of 3 hours and in stereo. However if you do need for live performance I suggest you get the additional Boss fs6 dual footswitch for quick real-time overdubbing. In any case, it's more affordable than the Boomerang III.

How does the fs6 help quick overdubbing?, i bought the fs6 and was dissapointed how it only seemed to turn on the fx of the rc30 or change memory slot with a held press. Would love to find a way to change the usage of the fs6.
Quote by gania13
what do you think about using the tc flashback/alter ego(and/or their X4 versions) as a looper? is it good enough compared to simple loopers like the ditto?
it's kinda killing two birds with one stone

Yes. Personally I prefer the DL4 over the Ditto and have even a-b'ed them and spent a week trying to like/justify the Ditto on my board. The Ditto isn't all that impressive actually, however, you'll get your moneys worth out of it, imo. As long as the switch doesn't break. Imo the Flashback is the better value though, just cause it has delays too...multiple delays. Delay/loopers usually have more limited loop time, but think about your favorite riffs and how long it takes to go through a single progression, not long probably. I prefer the efficiency and have even gone another step, the Line 6 M9 has a DL4 inside it and as a delay/looper even functions the same as the DL4. It has a few other tricks as well.
Personally, I like really long delays rather than loopers (10 secs or so), as I have control over feedback. Of course, you have a set loop time though.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan