I really want to expand my musical theory when im in there. so im going to print up tab lessons to put in a binder. I play a lot of blues guitar and know very little about music theory other than the 5 shapes of the pentatonic scale. learned everything by ear but I want to expand my guitar playing skills to really have the guitar be an extension of me, learn it inside and out. a lot of people say caged system and modes. I dont understand modes at all should I just learn them all anyways even if I dont fully understand how they work? anyways all recommendations are appreciated

thank you in advance
also just cool acoustic songs that would expand my playing that I could print out tabs for would be appreciated . not much for heavy metal
Quote by julianharmel
also just cool acoustic songs that would expand my playing that I could print out tabs for would be appreciated . not much for heavy metal

Suggest you learn interval shapes ... they underpin anything you play on guitar (scales, chords) ... very few of them, very easy to learn. Get acquainted with the sound of the b3, 3 and 5 intervals initially.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/drastically_reduce_learning_time_with_intervals_part_2.html

You definitely want to learn the major scale (at least a couple of the 5 region shapes). More importantly, learn how to use it to create melodies (so learn its tone tendencies).

Listen to a few of favourite songs (non-blues, ideally), and notice how the 1, (b)3 and 5 get used in the melody Try making short melodies using 1,2,3 and 5, with different rhythms ... ideally by singing or hearing in your head.

Learn the chord types that are built from the major scale, and learn a few progressions of these.

None of the above is about named notes. It's all about relationships between pitches (how many semitones apart they are) ... it all just moves up or down the guitar when you decide to nail these down (e.g. a scale) from a given starting point.

This means learning at least 1/12th of what you'd be forced to learn using note names. (far less than 1/12th once chords come into the picture).

Wouldn't worry about modes for awhile. Get good with major. Minor will be easy after that. So many blues and rock players avoid major scale, in favour of blues and minor pentatonics ... then they can't function over the simplest of major chord progressions ... the staple diet of Western music.

Good luck with rehab!
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at May 3, 2016,
I'd focus on rehab to be honest. It's fine to play guitar and try to learn, but, I'd just bring it to play things I enjoyed, not to force myself to learn more things, because of some percieved "downtime".

If you are really committed to learning and aren't understanding things, perhaps a more structured learning approach would work for you. I'm not sure I'd advocate trying to go in and self-teach.

Best,

Sean
Quote by julianharmel
I really want to expand my musical theory when im in there. so im going to print up tab lessons to put in a binder. I play a lot of blues guitar and know very little about music theory other than the 5 shapes of the pentatonic scale. learned everything by ear but I want to expand my guitar playing skills to really have the guitar be an extension of me, learn it inside and out. a lot of people say caged system and modes. I dont understand modes at all should I just learn them all anyways even if I dont fully understand how they work? anyways all recommendations are appreciated

thank you in advance

If you want to get into theory - start by learning the C major scale in small clusters and learn the harmonized major scale. Pay close attention to the intervals ( 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.)