I imagine this is absolutely scooped mids?

How hearable do you want that higher pitched guitar at the start?

Turn the rhythm guitar down, drums are more than just additional noise in the background. And since you have very little mids don't be afraid to let the drum cymbals occupy that spectrum a bit more, you can always dip them when the solo guitar comes in

You might want to center the drums and have some reverb on the cymbals/snare, just so they expand a bit more rather than kind of being hit and immediately disappearing

Sounds like you double tracked the guitars and fully panned each, yes? If you do that the trade off is you gotta turn them down because suddenly they're just uber whilst everything else looses it's punch

The solo guitar at 2:25 is a sizable volume boost, typically in a mix you actually lower the other instruments by half a DB rather than pushing the solo volume (I know it's subtle but it does work wonders), you can do this using automation

I'd really try and get the volumes more balanced as the main thing, they're quite inconsistent

I feel like there is some bass playing in there? I can't really hear it and I'm not sure it's all that a good bass tone either, when you have such bass driven guitars the actual bass loses a lot of its definition. I appreciate that for metal you just wana scoop the thing and whack the bass up for that that chugg sound, but the bass exists for a reason; you might want to back off on the bass dial for the guitar and let the bass carry that umph. You'll be surprised at how much rounded and defined the overall track becomes because of that, though I appreciate that as a guitarist it's just like turn those guitars up and fuck everything else

When the guitars cut out and do the panning thing, it's best not to do a full hardcore pan. You might want to do like 50% left, then 50% right. Also I think that you've got absolutely no noise whatsoever during those kind of staccato parts? The problem with complete noise removal is that it actually makes people feel really uncomfortable, when there's silence on records or in movies they actually just put a mic in an empty room and record that, then slip it in. Just having empty room noise makes people feel better - it's same thing as when you walk into those chambers that are super super sound proof, it's a horrible feeling.

Here's a good YouTube playlist called 'How I Mixed', it's helped me out a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECMmwNjoUcY&list=PL3gffKm0tqiJ82vl3gLY-sHqdwWEsbKtC

For reference here's a metal cover I did of Rob Scallon 4 months ago:

https://soundcloud.com/tornintegral/super-metal-audition-rob-scallon-cover

There's a lot more that I can do to it... and it has glaring problems to me now, but solo onwards I think is great.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Rookd
Thank You Anthony for real haha..I will try those things out and check that video out.That song you did for rob scallon or whatever is awesome!!! Really great guitar playing dude!

Haha cheers, that solo was an improv one take as well, totally bossed it That song was damn hard to learn too, 140BPM and there's a lot of movement on that main riff; to be honest even after a week or learning the song it was still rough, it's not as clean as I'd like it.

Oh on my recording as well, I did double track my guitars - but I used two different guitar settings for them. That can really do a lot to bring a track forward and make it more spatial. For example I think in the left ear I had a heavier chuggy bass-mid setting, whereas for the right ear I had more of a light-bass-mid with some minor delay on.

For the solo I'm using the right ear guitar setting, but I EQ'd the mids/high to be a bit louder than they were as standard. This allowed me to get a guitar tone that sounded familiar but wasn't a straight copy, and it gave more of a solo tone as well.

That mix took me about 3-4 days of spending a fair amount of time on it, it was a real task But honestly it's doing mixes like that that really push your mixing level, the frustrating thing was when I'd finished the project I had 10x the experience I had when I first started it. But I wasn't going to start all over
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.