Opinions on the Marshall Valvestate series, considering a trade for a guitar I don't use anymore to a guy on craigslist. Would it be a significant upgrade to my old MG15, its a VS30, Thanks!
Meh, I wouldn't, its almost a lateral movement, the only thing you'll get out of it is more wattage...which at the quality where its at, is nowhere near necessary.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
no tube in the VS 30 so it's not much of a valvestate. it does have a 12" speaker which is better. tone wise it will be a small improvement but that's about it. if it can be had cheap you could do worse. i had one that i got at a garage sale a few years back.
It would definitely be an upgrade from your MG, even if just for the 12" speaker. But I think the Valvestate circuit was just better than the MG anyway. Not spectacular, but better than an MG.

I had a VS 65R combo that I kind of wish I still had. It was my first half-way serious amp and definitely sounded way better than the practice amps I'd used before. I eventually put an Eminence something or other speaker in it and it sounded decent at the time. Then I got into jamming with friends (playing metal, of course) and it couldn't quite cut through my friend's battering ram drumming, so I hastily "upgraded" to an MG halfstack. Bad mistake. Not only was it hardly any louder, its tone was a lot worse to boot.

Valvestates are great for old-school death metal tone and thrash.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at May 3, 2016,
Ehhh, I'd stay away. It's a slightly better MG brand, but not by much. I appreciate that it's not the MG name and they're not that all expensive, but I'd still stay away.

If you gave us a rough budget and what kind of music we play, I bet we could recommend some pretty killer combo amps for you; I imagine Blackstar will have some good stuff that's right for!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Depends what you are giving up and if you like old death metal guitar tone. I actually like the older VS line, and for what you can get one for they can be pretty cool. It definitely is not a particular versatile amp, but it IS brutal, and I actually liked the clean channel on the 100W head in the "super crisp, almost HiFi" kinda way.

Still, if you are going to be giving up any kind of decent guitar, I'd bail. The VS30 is about the lamest of all of them (I think there was the 15, which was even worse), and the stock speaker is pretty awful. The VS definitely needs a decent speaker.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You'd be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better off getting like Peavey Bandit if you want that old school metal tone, those things are brilliant.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
See I think the Bandits sound like shit

To each his own I suppose. I was able to pull some nice tones out of my Valvestate, but I also ran some unorthodox settings (treble near zero, bass at half, mids near all the way up).

I mean ultimately the VS (or the Bandit, for that matter) is not an amp to actively pursue. Really they are good for a free or near free amp but I'd never spend more than a $100 for one, and far less for the VS30.
Quote by dementiacaptain
See I think the Bandits sound like shit

To each his own I suppose. I was able to pull some nice tones out of my Valvestate, but I also ran some unorthodox settings (treble near zero, bass at half, mids near all the way up).

I mean ultimately the VS (or the Bandit, for that matter) is not an amp to actively pursue. Really they are good for a free or near free amp but I'd never spend more than a $100 for one, and far less for the VS30.

If you have the gain up on the drive channel they can sound absolutely monstrous. You've got to have a pair of pick-ups that are quite up for it though, if they have mid-to-high output a Bandit can destroy some heads. When I first heard one, well me and the bassist in my band, we were like, 'holy shit! This thing is awesome!'

But yeah I agree, a Bandit is not a king of tone. It kind of does one thing really, really well. Honestly man tell us a budget and I bet we can suggest a killer combo amp.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

i wouldn't bother with a VS. they have one good use (not my preference either), they do the death metal thing with a HM-2. good is subjective though (i hate it).

i would take a bandit combo over a VS combo any day of the week.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
hold out for something better.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The VS is better than the Bandit. I actually have a VS10 and a VS810 (the Schuldiner head) - they have a tone. The little thing cranked with OD does a few things really nicely, the big head has quite a few useable tones, besides thrash/death metal, it does decent clean, light to medium bluesy crunch, the reverb is quite nice (spring reverb). If you find one with a Celestion speaker in it in decent condition, it is a steal.
Quote by diabolical
The VS is better than the Bandit. I actually have a VS10 and a VS810 (the Schuldiner head) - they have a tone. The little thing cranked with OD does a few things really nicely, the big head has quite a few useable tones, besides thrash/death metal, it does decent clean, light to medium bluesy crunch, the reverb is quite nice (spring reverb). If you find one with a Celestion speaker in it in decent condition, it is a steal.

Yeah the 8100 amps are really cool. I would be interested to hear your settings for blues/crunch, I never could get one that was particularly smooth, always either mooshy or too harsh. Decent cleans and high gain I had no trouble with though, especially with a nice cab.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah the 8100 amps are really cool. I would be interested to hear your settings for blues/crunch, I never could get one that was particularly smooth, always either mooshy or too harsh. Decent cleans and high gain I had no trouble with though, especially with a nice cab.

I actually didn't use the "crunch" button on the clean channel but just increased the clean gain and lowered the master volume. I had a hot humbucker guitar at the time. My problem was that it couldn't be used with the other channel (the gain channel) as the master volume had to be lower.