I was reading about another poor guy gunned down by cops. He was obviously mentally ill and, naturally, the cops gunned him down rather than risk even the smallest injury to themselves (heroic aren't they?).

Anyway....why don't police departments issue a dart gun with tranquilizer darts to be used in the instance of genuinely crazy people armed with screwdrivers, knives, etc? Animal Control departments use tranquilizers....why not the cops?

I'm not saying to take their guns away (although we'd be better off if they did), I'm just saying they should have a "safe" alternative to taking down crazy people who aren't really a threat to others.
Last edited by TobusRex at May 3, 2016,
Probably because tranquilizers don't work fast enough during a genuine emergency at a dose that's relatively safe for humans. idk though
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Probably because tranquilizers don't work fast enough during a genuine emergency at a dose that's relatively safe for humans. idk though

I was thinking more along the lines of crazy people "holding cops at bay" with weapons like screwdrivers, knives, etc. It's pretty common in the USA that some nut will raise hell, while not actually harming someone, and brandishing some crappy weapon. Cops generally shoot those people down if they don't surrender. I'm not talking "emergency" situations.

An example of when it would've been useful: a homeless, mentally ill elderly woman (I think she was 74) "brandished" a screwdriver at cops when told to leave an area. Naturally they shot her dead because a 74 year old mentally ill woman with a screwdriver is a deadly threat to healthy, wellfed, LAPD officers.
Last edited by TobusRex at May 3, 2016,
Quote by Aeolian Harmony

So use low dose muscle relaxants instead. Something like rocuronium, because you can also carry around suggamadex, which can counteract rocuronium if you shoot the bugger with too much.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
They already have tasers, but they don't always use them in the right situations so the problem lies elsewhere.
doesn't really work when you get some bull who already has a system full of meth or crack or whatever.
Real bullets can't stop them sometimes.
The thing about a gun shot is, no one is allergic to them.

Drugging somebody though, that's a whole other question. Not to mention if they have taken other drugs it could cause some serious problems, hell even if they're just on a normal prescription you won't quite know what will happen if you suddenly start firing tranq darts at them. With a gun shot it tends to be pretty obvious how the person was injured, if they're been drugged and had a reaction or something else happened, well, it's a lot less obvious how to bring that person back.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony

Yeah this and dosing is difficult. I mean even tasers are only mostly non-lethal, this would fall between a taser and a gun. Bad idea.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by 20Tigers at #33955287
Because it would take all the fun out of being a cop.

basically, this.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
tranks are based on size and weight so it wouldn't really be possible to get an one size fits all dosage. as mentioned if someone was allergic then there'd be a lawsuit.

cops rarely shoot anyone around here and certainly no 74 yr old woman.
First, dosage would vary person to person and that makes it impractical for emergency situations. Secondly, people might have an allergic reaction and have serious medical problems or death from it. Thirdly, liberal crybabies would still get all up in arms about a cop tranquilizing someone, so what's the point. Tasers work fine.
PM me for newts
Quote by Anthony1991
The thing about a gun shot is, no one is allergic to them.

Drugging somebody though, that's a whole other question. Not to mention if they have taken other drugs it could cause some serious problems, hell even if they're just on a normal prescription you won't quite know what will happen if you suddenly start firing tranq darts at them. With a gun shot it tends to be pretty obvious how the person was injured, if they're been drugged and had a reaction or something else happened, well, it's a lot less obvious how to bring that person back.

Hmmm I'm pretty sure that everyone is allergic to a gun shot

If the police tranq a perpetrator and then they die from an allergic reaction of fatal interaction with another drug that was in the perpetrator'system this will almost always be revealed during an autopsy.

Proper dosage is an important part in a tranquilizer being non-fatal , it's hard to judge body weight/mass in the heat of the moment to decide correct dosage.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

the only weapons cops should have are stun batons/ hand tranquilizers

even stun guns are better than real guns in terms of people getting killed simply because they are a certain race, cop hit list/hate crimes, etc
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at May 3, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Hmmm I'm pretty sure that everyone is allergic to a gun shot

If the police tranq a perpetrator and then they die from an allergic reaction of fatal interaction with another drug that was in the perpetrator'system this will almost always be revealed during an autopsy.

Proper dosage is an important part in a tranquilizer being non-fatal , it's hard to judge body weight/mass in the heat of the moment to decide correct dosage.

Haha no one /wants/ a gunshot, but no one is actively allergic to being shot in of itself Like no one has gunshot allergies
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Tranquilizer darts take a few minutes to set in. Hardly effective against someone coming at you. However, there isn't really an argument against not using your taser against unarmed people.
Why not just use net-guns in these situations, so you don't have to worry about allergic reactions to the tranquilizer/unhealthy precondition before tazing/etc?

Not trying to brag or anything, but I catch loads more fish with cast-nets than poles
Quote by Fat Lard
Why not just use net-guns in these situations, so you don't have to worry about allergic reactions to the tranquilizer/unhealthy precondition before tazing/etc?

Not trying to brag or anything, but I catch loads more fish with cast-nets than poles

I remember hearing about those net guns decades ago, nothing about them since. I'm guessing they didn't work very well?

Also the cops supposedly have those "bean bag" guns which knock the shit out of people (sometimes killing them), but generally leave them alive and bruised. Whatever happened to those bean bag guns?
Quote by JustRooster
Tranquilizer darts take a few minutes to set in. Hardly effective against someone coming at you. However, there isn't really an argument against not using your taser against unarmed people.

u should check out my sovereign citizens thread
PM me for newts
I'm not sure about bean bag guns, but rubber bullets? They still use those. But even they can kill, which isn't even that surprising.

A net isn't practical for any and all situations; you've got be able to see the target, you've got to be in closer proximity, and you only have one shot. If you're in Scooby Doo, sure nets will work great.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by JustRooster
However, there isn't really an argument against not using your taser against unarmed people.

I'm having a little trouble with the double-negative here. You mean that arguments can't be made against taser use?