I have a lot of interests to get into for my guitars and stuff so I can't tell I want to pre-order those red 81 & 85 EMG pickups for my $300 Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric guitar and the fact I've been waiting for red pickups in a loonnngggg time. Yes, I still have those original pickups on my Dean guitar since I got the guitar as a birthday gift so I want to change them to play metal and black/death metal with high gain, low/mid tone for good. I may be interested in pre-ordering them soon though.

If you haven't heard anything about EMG, I would recommend you to look up their new pickups if you are interested in any EMG pickups or a fan of EMG. Man, those red EMG pickups looks sick as hell.

http://www.emgpickups.com/red-series/guitar.html
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
+1 I think the red EMGs would look great on a black guitar, I might be interested in a set for my 93 Jackson King V, ID be interested in getting an ear on that Glenn Tipton set, I have 81/85 on two guitars and an 81/81 set with Afterburner on a third I'd be game to put a set of those GTVs just to change things up!

FWIW I'd look into a guitar upgrade first, it doesn't make much sense to shell out $210 on pickups for a guitar that's only cost $300 new
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 3, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
+1 I think the red EMGs would look great on a black guitar, I might be interested in a set for my 93 Jackson King V, ID be interested in getting an ear on that Glenn Tipton set, I have 81/85 on two guitars and an 81/81 set with Afterburner on a third I'd be game to put a set of those GTVs just to change things up!

FWIW I'd look into a guitar upgrade first, it doesn't make much sense to shell out $210 on pickups for a guitar that's only cost $300 new

Good to hear from ya! I have never owned a single EMG pickup since I was interested in getting a black chrome one for my black V guitar but I always have other interests to buy. Right now, I'm about to save my $ and get red EMG pickups big time now. As for your logic, what does 93 mean? The year you've brought a Jackson King V electric guitar or something?

Also, I must buy and add Q-Parts of silver/chrome skull or black acrylic red (original, pearl or/and abalone) knobs to replace the original black knobs on my black V guitar just to make my guitar looks killer as hell. Man, would that be a dream?!
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
i am guessing he means 1993. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There's a couple of points you need to be aware of before switching your guitar over to active pickups:

1) Active humbuckers do not suddenly make a guitar more suitable for metal. The output of active pickups like the Seymour Duncan Blackouts Metal and EMG 81X & 85X are only around a third more than common high output passive humbuckers, and even then you only get that extra output on full chords; single notes are no more powerful than with a passive. Some active humbuckers, like the EMG 60A, are actually less powerful than common high output passive humbuckers.
Also, even the most powerful active humbucker will not make your tone sound any more 'metal'; more output from pickups is just like turning the gain knob on your amp up one more step. If you aren't happy with your current tone and you're aiming for a metal sound, look at either a new amp or an overrive pedal, instead. Pickup swaps are good for tweaking your tone once you've got everything else as close as you can get; pickup swaps are not good if you want to drastically chang your tone because they make so little difference in terms of distortion levels.

2) Changing a guitar from passive pickups to active pickups requires quite a bit of work. You need to replace not only the pickups but also the volume and tone controls, and the output jack. Depending on the guitar you may need to replace the pickup selector switch, too. Additionally, you must remove the ground wire from the bridge and find a place to store the battery. Of course if you ever decide to go back to passive pickups, you need to do that whole change over again in reverse.
None of this is hard work if you know what you're doing, but you do need to do your research; some guitars simply don't have enough space to fit active components. The EMG site has .pdf files with all the installation and wiring info you need.

3) The red EMGs aren't going to be going out of stock any time soon and more colours and options will be on their way once the first batch has sold. Don't pre-order. All pre-ordering means is you're guaranteeing you will be paying the maximum price. Wait for them to actually come out, and after a little while you'll be able to buy them cheaper, and/or other colours and pickup styles will be available which may suit you more. The first line of red EMGs only covers the most basic pickup models with the old preamp; I'd wait for the new 'X' preamp to be released in red, as they're an upgrade over the old EMG pickups in every way. More minimum/maximum output range, lower impedance, even less noise, etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.