I was wondering if it is possible to use my Fender FM212DSP as a head for a Crate Flex 412A cabinet. Asking because I don't want to damage my amp due to careless experimenting. If it's possible, would someone please provide the proper steps required to reach this goal? Thank you!
as long as your combo has an amp out and the impedance matches that of the cab then you are good to go. just run a speaker cable (not a guitar cable) from the out into the cab and rock away.
Quote by paulpalma6
I was wondering if it is possible to use my Fender FM212DSP as a head for a Crate Flex 412A cabinet. Asking because I don't want to damage my amp due to careless experimenting. If it's possible, would someone please provide the proper steps required to reach this goal? Thank you!

in a conventional sense it is not possible to hook an external cab to the FM 212 DSP. according to this manual there is no external speaker jack.

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/FM_212_DSP_manual.pdf

usually there is a 1/4" speaker jack connecting the speakers to the amp, but the FM212DSP doesn't seem to do it that way. i believe the speakers are wired directly in the chassis, this means you can't just unplug the native speakers and use an external cab or plug an additional cab in conjunction with the native speakers.

it would be possible to cut the speaker wire coming from the amp and splice a 1/4" TS jack onto it or install a 1/4" jack plug in the amp, but most people wouldn't consider it to be worth the effort and this approach falls squarely outside the realm of 'conventional', but it is possible. if you do something like this then any speaker combination wired up 4 ohms or greater will work with the amp.

edit: another unconventional approach is to run the preamp out to another power amp and use that to power the 4x12, but this also is not too useful in that you need another power amp so what would be the point.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 3, 2016,