Page 1 of 2
Do they? Quite often I see people moan about adverts like they're a bane to society rather than slight annoyances keeping you from content you really want to see.

Be it 30 second ads on the telly, banners on websites, those annoying little clips before a Youtube video, pop-ups, trailers before a film whatever, how sad does your life have to be that they're anything more than a slight nuisance? Does anyone really pay attention to them? Take any notice? Change their buying habits purely because of an advert?

They're just another one of those things in my opinion but I find the psychology behind really well-done adverts fascinating.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at May 4, 2016,
They annoy me because they're wasting my life to spend money I don't want to spend on things

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
If you don't want to spend the money, don't spend it.

I went like 30 years not caring that much.
Then ondemand and Netflix stuff happened and I can't watch them anymore. Those days are over.
Trying to watch something with commercials is torture TORTURE!!
I'm pretty close to leaving youtube forever if that gets any worse.

"slight nuisance" stop with the hipster assholery
Quote by korinaflyingv
TV ads aren't usually that bad but have been listening to the radio recently and some of them are excruciating.

This
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by RAB11
If you don't want to spend the money, don't spend it.

I don't want to spend money

Instead I'm spending time sitting through these adverts

Time is money

Advertisements are robbing me

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EyeNon15
I went like 30 years not caring that much.
Then ondemand and Netflix stuff happened and I can't watch them anymore. Those days are over.
Trying to watch something with commercials is torture TORTURE!!
I'm pretty close to leaving youtube forever if that gets any worse.

"slight nuisance" stop with the hipster assholery

But why are they anything more than a nuisance? Why not use the opportunity to go get a drink, evacuate your bladder, or call someone a hipster on the internet?

TV ads aren't usually that bad but have been listening to the radio recently and some of them are excruciating.

Yeah I can agree with that, and ad breaks on commercial radio tend to be a bit too long. But it's still very easy to relegate them to background noise.

Quote by RAB11
But why are they anything more than a nuisance? Why not use the opportunity to go get a drink, evacuate your bladder, or call someone a hipster on the internet?

Yeh there's this thing called a pause button if I need a break.

I tried watching Walking Dead not long ago it was AGONY.
40 minutes of show and 20 minutes of commercial.
Who needs 20 minutes every hour to pee and get a drink???
I don't watch enough tv or go through enough sites to get annoyed by ads.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Only really when they're bukkaked across a webpage. Or the constant popup pages.

That said those old Go Compare adverts make me cry inside. I fucking despise them.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by EyeNon15
Yeh there's this thing called a pause button if I need a break.

I tried watching Walking Dead not long ago it was AGONY.
40 minutes of show and 20 minutes of commercial.
Who needs 20 minutes every hour to pee and get a drink???

People with enlarged prostates, I expect.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
They can be a bit annoying to sit through, but I think the 'issue' is comparable to, say, the speed of your computer. You might start out with a computer that takes 10 minutes to start up, and that isn't an issue because you're not used to anything faster. Then you get a computer that takes 10 seconds to start, but occasionally it lags a bit and takes 30 seconds, and immediately you're annoyed by how slow it is.

But really, what offends me most is the stupidity of and blatant nonsense in some commercials. Who are all these two-faced dentists recommending different brands of toothpaste at the same time? THE NUMBERS DON'T ADD UP DAMMIT
Quote by ultimate-slash
They can be a bit annoying to sit through, but I think the 'issue' is comparable to, say, the speed of your computer. You might start out with a computer that takes 10 minutes to start up, and that isn't an issue because you're not used to anything faster. Then you get a computer that takes 10 seconds to start, but occasionally it lags a bit and takes 30 seconds, and immediately you're annoyed by how slow it is.

But really, what offends me most is the stupidity of and blatant nonsense in some commercials. Who are all these two-faced dentists recommending different brands of toothpaste at the same time? THE NUMBERS DON'T ADD UP DAMMIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brU_Pp-20g0
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I go out of my way to avoid even things I like if the adverts regularly piss me off. M&Ms for instance.
Some more than others. Some a lot more.

Especially any that a network puts on their on demand shows.

Because it's the same fucking commercial 5 times.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I have adblock and netflix! Never watching tv ever again!
That said, Sweden have a fairly okey amount of commercial breaks. But I tried watching tv in America, where the ads came every 5-6 min and it felt like someone with ADHD was switching the channel constantly because of low attention span.
A lot of ads genuinely annoy me. Car adverts and aftershave/perfume ones in particular because they tend to be pretentious bullshit that have nothing to do with the stuff being advertised. Also radio ads where they have someone quickly running through all the terms and conditions and then the same adverts are on all day.

tl;dr fuck ads
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
A lot of ads genuinely annoy me. Car adverts and aftershave/perfume ones in particular because they tend to be pretentious bullshit that have nothing to do with the stuff being advertised. Also radio ads where they have someone quickly running through all the terms and conditions and then the same adverts are on all day.

tl;dr fuck ads

A supermodel walks out of her hotel room naked.
She stops when she sees a tiger standing in her way.
She roundhouse kicks the tiger into submission.
The hotel explodes, but she emerges from the rubble, unharmed and wearing a sparkling dress.
Three muscular, oiled up dudes wearing only underpants and a bow tie appear and carry her into a limousine.
The limousine flies away and lands on a tropical island.
She karate chops a tree and a coconut falls into her hand.

She looks into the camera and blows a kiss at the audience.

The screen fades to black and the model whispers:
'My farts in a coconut' by Dior."
I use AdBlocker everywhere I can, even when I'm fixing people's computers/laptops on the side I install AdBlock automatically for them. Frankly, given the state of ads and pop-ups these days (they somehow have gotten as bad as they were back in the early XP days) it's a solid safety measure for your average user.

I don't really watch tv anymore because frankly, why would I? You've got adverts and watching in real time isn't even a question for me, I don't think I've legitimately watched anything on television in real time for maybe... gee, 4 years? I actually can't believe that, that's mad.

I also can't stand adverts from an intellectual stand point either, they're designed to be simplistic and to cater to the current trend, which pisses me off. I'm not a normal person, so using real life memes just annoys me because of the shear stupidity and assumption of hive mind mentality.

I also hate it when people say 'have you seen that advert!?' Don't assume I watch television, and don't assume I would even remotely consider watching adverts as part of that.

YouTube RED has it right, want no ads and want to support your favorite creators? Then subscribe for pretty low fee and help everybody out. If they don't want Game of Thrones massively pirated, guess what, fucking don't geo-lock it and charge for a world wide pass to view it in HD. Jerks.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
They don't annoy me as much as they just make me cringe.

They are grotesque though, it's essentially brainwashing for lack of a better term. Would be interesting to see what people would think of them if political and religious messages would be as pervasive as ads.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
They don't annoy me as much as they just make me cringe.

They are grotesque though, it's essentially brainwashing for lack of a better term. Would be interesting to see what people would think of them if political and religious messages would be as pervasive as ads.

Pretty much, it was Freud's nephew that developed modern advertising as far as I recall, using Freud's theories. Bit scary. He also developed the idea of political spin in the same fashion because he thought humans needed to be manipulated.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at May 4, 2016,
Can't stand internet ads, good thing adblock exists. As little as I watch cable, I hate cable ads because of how repetitive and obnoxious they can be, The Truth Campaign especially. They can go fuck themselves.
Yeah they do bother me. Spend at least a month in a country that doesn't have advertising then come back to a city city that does. You'll realise how much noise they actually generate and how awful it really is.

I honestly believe advertising/signage in the street should be limited to the face of a commercial premise only.

edit: lol, did not read this thread or OP before typing. But yeah Pirate Bay just ain't what it used to be.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at May 4, 2016,
I love watching trailers for movies when I go out and I feel like part of the movie watching experience is lost when I miss them.

I don't mind ads on TV because it gives me a chance to take a break and stretch my legs. Marathoning shows is OK but I'd rather not. There are a few ads I actively look fwd to because I think they're well-made.

I was gonna say internet ads bother me but actually not that much because that's how the sites I go to stay free.
cat
I love the ones that say "wait dont skip" cause then im just sitting there going hah fuck u *click*

Also yeah advertising annoys me cause it is basically brainwashing, but the amount of content it pays for kind of makes me okay with it.

Quote by Rebel Scum
Yeah they do bother me. Spend at least a month in a country that doesn't have advertising then come back to a city city that does.

What countries dont have advertising?
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Pretty much, it was Freud's nephew that developed modern advertising as far as I recall, using Freud's theories. Bit scary.

Yep, Edward Bernays. I listened to a podcast a while back about public relations, and he's the one who came up with the term 'public relations' because it doesn't sound as bad as 'propaganda'. He was also responsible for causing a war in some south american country just to help some corporation take over the banana crops and said they were all communist to get public opinion behind it, as well as a shit load of other downright evil shit.

As for ads, I run adblock plus, but on the setting where non-intrusive ads are still displayed so websites that don't have shitty ads can still generate some revenue. I feel slightly bad that youtubers that I watch don't make any money from my views, but ad revenue from each individual view is minuscule. Once I get a job and am making decent money (hopefully soon) I'll probably sign up for youtube red just to help out content creators and maybe hit up a few patreon pages.

I very rarely watch tv, but when I do it's always something that's been DVR'd so I can fast forward through the commercials anyway. I can't stand to watch real time tv anymore.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Yep, Edward Bernays. I listened to a podcast a while back about public relations, and he's the one who came up with the term 'public relations' because it doesn't sound as bad as 'propaganda'. He was also responsible for causing a war in some south american country just to help some corporation take over the banana crops and said they were all communist to get public opinion behind it, as well as a shit load of other downright evil shit...

Stuff You Should Know?

~~

Cable TV seems like paying for the opportunity to have ads to convince you to pay for more stuff. idk, I like internet streaming services for a whole load of reasons, most of which having nothing to do with ads, but I can't say they don't bug me.

I wish ads were cleverer though. So many are puerile gibberish and if I pay attention to them they make me go out of my way to avoid that product.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
I can usually tolerate them (don't watch TV or listen to the radio much) but the one I can't stand is the damn ads on UG mobile and the UG apps. I've already bought the apps, so for the love of all things holy stop asking me to buy the full package too
I find the youtube ones the most annoying, and its for the fact that 9/10 times when one pops up I'm trying to show someone the video and then we're both sitting awkwardly waiting for the ad to end after I've called their attention to look at the video.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by The4thHorsemen
^yup

~ stuuff you shooould knoooow ~
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Tv doesn't but I have lived in a world when youtube didn't have adverts so those on youtube do
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
People who say 'adverts don't work on me' are precisely the people they do work on
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Page 1 of 2