So I recently picked up a Hellraiser FR from a guy on craigslist. I think it's a model from 2008. Anyway, this guy must have had battery acid in his sweat because the black paint is almost completely gone, the little saddle blocks are corroded and it just plain looks like ass. Even the bar itself is like...legit rusted. It seems to work alright, though I'm fairly new to floyds and it seemed to need some fine-adjusting at least once through a play session, though nothing extreme. It also might not be perfectly set up (which I did learn to do thanks to another kind person on craigslist and uncle Ben Eller). Anyway, due to the awful cosmetic condition, the nut being a bit worn on the d string and the potential for knife edge wear I've been thinking of some hardware replacement.

I have a few questions and concerns and first and foremost...I have no interest in throwing down $200 for a new german floyd rose because i'd rather just sell the guitar, toss in said $200 (which I can't justify spending, anyway) and buy something even better. So my question is whether or not there are any UPGRADES from a floyd rose special that are under $100. I know a replacement is around $70-80 for the whole kit and caboodle which isn't bad and hell...I don't mind tossing in that kind of money to make an otherwise lovely looking guitar look great again. I was also wondering if it would be cheaper or even wiser to just replace some of the parts.
Quote by Velcro Man
So I recently picked up a Hellraiser FR from a guy on craigslist. I think it's a model from 2008. Anyway, this guy must have had battery acid in his sweat because the black paint is almost completely gone, the little saddle blocks are corroded and it just plain looks like ass. Even the bar itself is like...legit rusted. It seems to work alright, though I'm fairly new to floyds and it seemed to need some fine-adjusting at least once through a play session, though nothing extreme. It also might not be perfectly set up (which I did learn to do thanks to another kind person on craigslist and uncle Ben Eller). Anyway, due to the awful cosmetic condition, the nut being a bit worn on the d string and the potential for knife edge wear I've been thinking of some hardware replacement.

I have a few questions and concerns and first and foremost...I have no interest in throwing down $200 for a new german floyd rose because i'd rather just sell the guitar, toss in said $200 (which I can't justify spending, anyway) and buy something even better. So my question is whether or not there are any UPGRADES from a floyd rose special that are under $100. I know a replacement is around $70-80 for the whole kit and caboodle which isn't bad and hell...I don't mind tossing in that kind of money to make an otherwise lovely looking guitar look great again. I was also wondering if it would be cheaper or even wiser to just replace some of the parts.

If your not interested in spending the cash for an OFR which is understandable, look on Craiglist or Ebay for a used Floyd or a decent used copy, which are usually affordable.

The other option is to try and replace the blocks if you can find compatable blocks. If you can live without the guitar for a few days, you can remove the tremolo and dissasemble it coat all of the various parts in light oil or spray with WD40 and place them in a ziplock bag for a few days or a week (depending on how bad it is corroded) and let the oil do it's thing, it will penetrate the nook and crannies etc. Then remove the parts from the baggy wipe off the excess oil and reassemble it it will look much better without the rust even if the paint is worn. It's Ok to leave minute amounts of oil in the hard to reach areas which will actually help protect from future corrosion.

It's a cheap fix it won't make the trem look new if the pain is worn but it will look better minus the rust and fuction much better. I have done it to a couple of trems on used guitars that I bought luckily the paint was still in good shaped and they came out looking almost new
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 4, 2016,
The Hellraiser FR is actually a pretty damn good guitar, so if you like it and the cosmetics are the only issue it's probably worth it to go with higher quality components.

Or you could find what you need from these folks. I've found that most of their stuff is far better than the price would suggest.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Tremolos-And-Tremolo-Parts_c_203.html
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin