Hi everyone! I'm looking for a guitar under 500$ which has a Fenderish sound but very incisive and dry, and can handle heavy hardcore stuff (not metal) like Discordance Axis, Full Of Hell, His Hero Is Gone, Tragedy, Off Minor but also lighter stuff like Slint, Low, Nick Cave, Swans, Joy Division. I'm thinking about a Squier Telecaster Calssic Vibe '50 and replace the stock pickups by much hotter ones. What do you guys think?
i would go used MIM or maybe a HWY1 if you can find one.

i hear mixed things on the HWY1's from some people, but every one i have picked up i loved. i don't know if you would need a pickup swap, IIRC the stock pickups were on the hotter side.

you could throw one of these: http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/hot-rails-tele-bridge or one of these http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/little-59-tele (haven't tried this one though).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The MIM and HWY1s are too expansive and unfindable where I live. The pickups you listed are humbuckers and I really want a single coil sound. I've seen Bare Knuckles which have more than 11k ohms of output. Good idea?
Last edited by DustyTill at May 4, 2016,
You have provided budget, style and preferences, it will be most helpful is you would give us your location so we can provide the proper sources, also whether or not you are willing to buy used or does it have to be new?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Used MIM more than $500?

Squier, maybe?
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by DustyTill
The MIM and HWY1s are too expansive and unfindable where I live. The pickups you listed are humbuckers and I really want a single coil sound. I've been Bare Knuckles which have more than 11k ohms of output. Good idea?

you should be able to find them used under that???

HWY1's aren't made anymore so they will be harder to find.

yeah i listed humbuckers specifically because they would fare better for your "heavy hardcore" stuff.

bareknuckle makes good pickups. pricey but good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DustyTill
I live in France and it doesn't have to be new.

In Europe you should be able to find a variety of used guitars online in that price range. I can't believe the MIMs are so expensive there, but other than that, there are some good LTD and Schecter strat clones that are good. Used to have an Ibanez strat clone that was a cheapie but worked well.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
look for a Vintage (make not old guitar) Strat style guitar and put Lace Sensor pickups in it. you can get higher output ones in and still retain the positives of a single coil.
Quote by DustyTill
The MIM and HWY1s are too expansive and unfindable where I live. The pickups you listed are humbuckers and I really want a single coil sound. I've seen Bare Knuckles which have more than 11k ohms of output. Good idea?

I'd be VERY careful of hot single coils -- depending on where you play they can be really noisy. My personal experience is that the best thing you can do is use normal single coils and boost everything *just* before the preamp.
i love my squier j5, check em out.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I don't really have a problem with hot single coils. You should check out chapman if you are in europe. They should be a little bit cheaper then import fenders over there.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer