Page 1 of 4
The newest edition of short story competitions is here!
Calling all writers!
If you're in to compete, let us know here and post your story!

deadline for submissions is June 23rd!

Rules:

No Plagiarism! (obviously)
No submitting stories that have been submitted to previous UG short story competitions!
Author's choice of theme, write what you want, be creative!
Word limit of 1300 words!
Have fun!

I or another dedicated user (lookin at you, ali) will keep track of users who are in to compete!
Judging process to be determined, Possibly an open poll for all users, lets discuss it here!
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Oh damn, I totally missed this thread! You had me at Short.

Anyway, yeah, PM me or Harvey for any questions, preferably me cuz I have no life. Also make sure you post in here so we can more easily keep track of participating users.

So far, I've got:

Aeolian Harmony
neidnarb
Cockatoo Slippy
JustRooster
Gatecrasher
Duanceclapdrix

Plus me & Harvey.

Most of us will be happy to offer tips if you're stuck on your story. Some of us will begrudgingly do so out of ego. Either way, you're getting advice. Get writin'. No excuses.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at May 5, 2016,
I got robbed last time. My story was the best and my sense of word play, metaphor, and reference was flawless. I will not be participating.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777 at #33957373
I got robbed last time. My story was the best and my sense of word play, metaphor, and reference was flawless. I will not be participating.

You ought to keep the submissions anonymous until voting's over. I've thought that about the Songwriting Thread but I guess it wouldn't help that much for that contest.
I'm in - how do we submit, by posting here?
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
Would you want it in a way that you can specifically post on UG or can I host it offsite for formatting/aesthetic reasons?
Like with last time - I'll consider entering if I feel like writing something short in the next few weeks. Too many other things on the go to commit to it though. Good luck to everybody who enters.
Submit your story by posting it here or if youre going to host it offsite then post your link here. You can also email me to submit your story at eddiegunderson4@gmail.com

woo woo story tiem
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Work is winding back down now to 8 hrs/day, so I'll probably start actually writing soon.
Quote by Skibolky
That's the trick though. At a certain point, shorter is much more difficult. I think about 1500 is it for me.
Quote by Skibolky
Yeah that's true. I'm thinking it's a case where your concept functions as your main character. I'm not sure I'll need fully-fleshed people, just ones that can elucidate a structure.

Then again I've read some really great flash shorts where the focal point is dialogue. That in itself gives you more motion to get two characters' arcs, but it still feels like you have one or two thoughts you're working with through structure. Kind of like humor, but where the punchline is more of a light jab on the shoulder.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll focus on dialogue between two characters for this one. Hoping it'll allow for some individual characterization as well as insight into their relationship. Very brief plot.

imaginary people in my head hmu
Quote by Skibolky
There once lived a blue caterpillar from afar the land of plenty. In the town of Atlop there lived many mushrooms. These mushrooms were of many vibrant colors, but in the town of Atlop, the color blue didnt exist. There were purple mushrooms, and green mushrooms, and pink and orange, but nowhere in the village of plunders around did a blue affair thrive from under. Jamal the caterpillar liked to eat the mushrooms. He liked the orange ones most. The mushrooms didnt mind being eaten, it was a natural part of their existence and they felt nothing but happiness their entire lives, they were real fungi. However... the mushrooms didnt like Jamal. They liked Dernski the red, and Schnoiyter the yellow, but they didnt understand Jamal, why was he so blue? The king, Alfod the pink and his wife Seal were expecting their first child, Bella. The entire mushroom kingdom was gathered around the Mushroopitol General awaiting the birth of Princess Bella the pink. The front doors slide open. King Alfod... he's pale. What's wrong? King Alfod, like a ghost with no reason, haunts his way back to his luxury Mushroogon and closes the door and drives off back to his palace. Jamal looks at Seal... and then at baby Bella... she is as white as snow. The entire kingdom of Atlop gasps in the key of B locrian, it was a Bm7b5 with a sustained 4... it felt as empty as space. How could such royalty of color turn out to be a deathly bleach? Completely unacceptable, Jamal, please devour this filth, this will not do. Jamal eats her. What? Jamal is evolving! Jamal turns into a beautiful rainbow butterfly and with a smile on his face, flies away into the night. The End.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at May 11, 2016,
Began working on mine.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Huu it's all in my head

Last edited by JustRooster at May 11, 2016,
Ok, I was waiting for inspiration before I committed, but now I have some and I will participate. Be warned: It's going to be ridiculous.
Missed this thread when it went up. I'll probably try and write something, but why do these things always happen when uni gets super busy.

Also, last time I didn't realise I'd won until like weeks later, and at that point it felt self indulgent to necro the thread with an acceptance post but it's just been left there hanging for ages so I'm gonna say a super belated, "thanks folks"
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Done with a first draft I don't think it's good, but eh.
Quote by Skibolky
That's alright A.H., I havent even gotten started on a first draft.

I've done nothing substantial since my last post. Discovered that the word cap is more of a challenge than a set theme. I think I just need to write something that is at 1300 words just to get a feel for what I can do.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Ok, I was waiting for inspiration before I committed, but now I have some and I will participate. Be warned: It's going to be ridiculous.

I nearly have a first draft complete, and it's every bit as ridiculous as I had hoped
Awesome!

Ah, this is a thing. Three weeks left.
Quote by Skibolky
Yup. I should start. Like with barebones conceptual stuff. I'm working on something else and it's hard to find an idea that's exciting.
I've ended up going with something fairly simple. More character-driven than anything like exploring a meaningful concept (at least, that's not the most apparent part).

I'm tempted to start over with something about... I don't know how to explain it, but a fragmented sense of identity related to exposure to too many contradictory ways of knowing. Some pomo-ish kind of thing.
Quote by Skibolky
That reminds me of being "raised by TV". Question though: what would stop that individual from having a holistic synthesis of those contradictory forms? And whaddya mean by 'knowing'?
I mean a "way of knowing" in the sense of the background epistemology/Weltanschauung/whatever you like to call it that functions as an explanatory mechanism for getting on with life. It's a phrase I overheard one day among some nursing students in their theory class.

I was thinking that exposure to multiple ways of knowing can be contradictory; for example, faithful religious belief and nihilism, for an obvious point of disagreement. There's a point at which critical thinking seems to lead to ambiguity or inability to argue further. Or, in older philosophies, the rationalism-empiricism divide which is sort of partly resolved by scientific methods which borrow from both (a synthesis of sorts).

I don't see why different ways of knowing couldn't be combined into some kind of synthetic whole, though, through another framework. Outcome-oriented pragmatism could, perhaps.

Might be neat for creating a character.
Quote by Skibolky
That's sounds challenging. Without a dissociative state and if there's mostly no synthesis in that they remain contradictory (and without semiotic play, like saying that existence is both meaningless/meaningful while attributing the concept of 'meaning' to two differing origins, i.e. divine purpose and secular humanism), I couldn't step into the shoes of a character that experiences those worldviews simultaneously.

Which means I'd really like to read it once you're done.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jun 3, 2016,
Yeah, I just have to figure out how to make that work. What happens with that character after you squeeze it through that particular thresher.

I don't know about for this contest given the word limit though.
Quote by Skibolky
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
I have a concept, but I've been really busy.

I need to get going.

This is the first post out of the last like 5 that I've understood. Thankyou.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
totally in for this

how long does the story have to be? a paragraph or 2? full page of text? (word document sized)

also, where do we post our submissions? in this thread?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

1300 word limit, and there's no minimum. You can post the story here or you can upload a pdf (if format matters) and post the link, but please don't make it so that users have to download the document to read it. Mediafire is what I use and recommend.

Deadline is June 23rd.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
This is the first post out of the last like 5 that I've understood. Thankyou.

lol whoops
Quote by Skibolky
Page 1 of 4