Hey guys,
I just bought my first guitar set a few days ago and heard that people are using pedals for overdrive and distortion effects when they are playing metal and rock songs.
I'm a total newbie, but is it required to use one to get those effects or is it possible to get the same effects with my amp?
I googled and the only option I could find is to increase the "Gain" in order to get a distortion effect.
But is it similar to the distortion with pedals?
I'm not really sure whether I should spend additional money for a pedal :s
My guitar is an Ibanez RG421-WK and my amp a Mustang I V2.
Last edited by juvion at May 4, 2016,
It's the same effect, it depends on your amp and the music you play whether you might prefer to use pedals, but with the Mustang just select one of the "British", "American" or "Metal" models, turn up the gain and turn down the master to compensate. Volume I imagine you probably want to keep lower, but since I'm not very familiar with the amp I've no idea how it sounds so just tweak it to taste.
your amp already has distortion built into the efx. pedals sometimes don't play nice with modelling amps or give the desired effect.

now some people use a distortion pedal thru a clean amp (say like a fender twin reverb) to get their distortion as the amp really doesn't do that very well (except a volumes that are really high and often impractical). overdrives are most often used to push the front end of a tube amp giving it an overdriven sound. they also are used to push amps that are distorted even further for say a good lead sound. since your amp isn't tube an overdrive most likely will do little to nothing for you and may not sound good. if you don't like the distortion your amp provides then you can run a distortion pedal into it on a clean setting. i know this is a very basic response but you have to start somewhere.
Quote by monwobobbo
now some people use a distortion pedal thru a clean amp (say like a fender twin reverb) to get their distortion as the amp really doesn't do that very well (except a volumes that are really high and often impractical)

For what it's worth, I'm some people. Pedal distortion works for me, because I own an amp that does one thing (hint: it's not distortion) but does it very well, but generally amp distortion is preferred. The Mustang does lots of things, including several flavours of distortion, so you needn't worry about pedals for distortion unless you're going for a specific thing that you can't get with your amp (e.g. fuzz sounds).
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 4, 2016,
Just use your amp! There are probably a few different distortion sounds on there. Think of 'Gain' as the amount of distortion (a lot more is not always best), and 'Master Volume' is the overall volume of the amp.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan