I've been aware of this company for a couple years now. They make some really pretty instruments. The price of the instruments seem to be low/mid level.

How good are they? Quality wise....how do you guys think they compare with outfits like Seagull, Taylor, Martin, etc. They sound okay from what I observed, but do Luna guitars last well?

Yeah.....highly decorated guitars can be pretty tacky, But I really like the way Luna's guitars look. I do love the pretty guitars. Anyway....posting a few links to some of the striking guitars on Luna's website. What do you guys think of this brand?

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/faudragon.php

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/gypeqatpp.php

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/safaripeace.php

http://www.lunaguitars.com/electricproduct/apolloparadise.php
I'm very skeptical. I wouldn't be paying for cosmetics in an inexpensive acoustic unless it was intened to keep a young beginner interested.

The ones I have seen have been made in China, so I wouldn't group those with the likes of the names you mention. - Though a bit of research showed that they make one model in the US.
I looked at Luna guitars aswell when I was on the hunt for a 12 string. They do make some very pretty guitars. I ended up buying a figured ash ibanez. It made a fantastic ornament and that's where the praise ends. i notice the Luna acoustics are select spruce top. IIRC that is not laminate but is the lowest grade of tone wood. I want to build myself a guitar and found a good* explanation of the different tone wood grades. (* it seemed informative but may have been utter bollocks) from what it said, select has a far inferior grain and has a higher potential to fail. For around the same price you can pick up a Yamaha, Takamine, tangle wood and such but they are very safe in the looks department. If you like different then I know Yamaha, tanglewood and fender offer mahogany body guitars. Otherwise there's the likes of LAG my friend has a T100D in gloss black. Does sound very nice, seems to have a sparkle to its sound but still manages to stay nice and balanced. Having spent a fair bit of time playing it I can also say it plays brilliantly aswell. Also has a very nice pin less bridge. Given the look of the Luna acoustics I would say buy the LAG and then get a custom pick guard made with a design of your choosing.
those guitars are all laminate including the top (except for the last one, which seems to be a solid body electric). what that usually means is there's an almost paper thin veneer on top of a cheaper wood, and it's almost never a decent tone wood. a solid top makes for more resonance and less boxiness, but if you're not too experienced with quality guitars, the lunas may sound fine to you. and the only person who has to like YOUR guitar is you.

there's no reason i've ever seen why a luna would last any shorter than any other guitar that's kept at the right humidity, away from heaters and hot cars, etc.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at May 5, 2016,
Quote by stepchildusmc
pretty turds are still turds
I had a rep from an electronics company tell me once, "if you wrap a turd in tinfoil and tie a red ribbon around it, someone will buy it". (God's honest truth) IIRC, I think he was trying to give us a motivational lecture on the fine art of salesmanship...

Pushing JVC's shit out the door was almost stooping that low, but it still left enough leeway so you could still almost feel good about yourself for selling it. (Almost, but not quite).

Oh well, maybe the QC has improved by now.

Sorry, off topic.
Quote by patticake
those guitars are all laminate including the top (except for the last one, which seems to be a solid body electric). what that usually means is there's an almost paper thin veneer on top of a cheaper wood, and it's almost never a decent tone wood. a solid top makes for more resonance and less boxiness, but if you're not too experienced with quality guitars, the lunas may sound fine to you. and the only person who has to like YOUR guitar is you.

there's no reason i've ever seen why a luna would last any shorter than any other guitar that's kept at the right humidity, away from heaters and hot cars, etc.

Luna does offer this "Trinity dreadnought", with a solid top. There's no cave paintings or anything of the like on it, but the Celtic design sound hole is sort of "groovy". (Or whatever it is the children call "cool" these days).

Here's the Luna "Trinity Dreadnought" demonstrating Sinead O'Connor for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Sebf8FA84
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 5, 2016,
Quote by Thom1989
I looked at Luna guitars aswell when I was on the hunt for a 12 string. They do make some very pretty guitars. I ended up buying a figured ash ibanez. It made a fantastic ornament and that's where the praise ends. i notice the Luna acoustics are select spruce top. IIRC that is not laminate but is the lowest grade of tone wood. I want to build myself a guitar and found a good* explanation of the different tone wood grades. (* it seemed informative but may have been utter bollocks) from what it said, select has a far inferior grain and has a higher potential to fail. For around the same price you can pick up a Yamaha, Takamine, tangle wood and such but they are very safe in the looks department. If you like different then I know Yamaha, tanglewood and fender offer mahogany body guitars. Otherwise there's the likes of LAG my friend has a T100D in gloss black. Does sound very nice, seems to have a sparkle to its sound but still manages to stay nice and balanced. Having spent a fair bit of time playing it I can also say it plays brilliantly aswell. Also has a very nice pin less bridge. Given the look of the Luna acoustics I would say buy the LAG and then get a custom pick guard made with a design of your choosing.
OK first, tops are normally graded for appearance, as in "A", "AA", "AAA".

More importantly,"select spruce" is, a lot more often than not, a euphemism for "laminate". Some makers do use the term for solid tops, but it's one particular high end brand, the name of which escapes me ATM.

Granted, we here in the colonies do have a lot of different jargon than you guys in the UK.

As far as the ash Ibanez goes, they have a great sounding chorus on board. So, with a fresh set of strings and plugged in, you should get some entertainment out of it.. (This assumes the Ibanez is the "Exotic Wood" series).
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 5, 2016,
It was the exotic. I went back within the week. Hated playing it.
The 'select' description I summised was off a uk tone wood distributors website. I understand it's all graded on appearance but the description I found stated select had a lot of grain
Runout which made it weaker. I watched the Luna safari peace demo
Video. They say it's laminate so I'm happy to hold my hand up and say I was wrong, or atleast mis informed.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds as if you guys are skeptical for the same reasons I am, but it sounds like none of you guys has actually played one.

@ Cranky: Ugh. I had no idea "select spruce top" is often a euphemism and it bugs me. Seems deceptive. So what a guy should be looking for are the words "SOLID spruce top", correct?
Last edited by TobusRex at May 5, 2016,
I couldn't find one to try. The biggest music place in the UK is Dawson's music. They don't stock them nor can they get hold of them. Then there gear 4 music. They are mostly online but have one warehouse in York which is about 3-4 hours away from me. No one in my local indie stores had heard of them or seen them. Are you actually looking to purchase a guitar or were you just intregued by the company?
Quote by patticake

I'm not real experienced with expensive guitars, patti. Probably the highest end guitars I've played were a Rainsong Black Ice (which I loved), a vintage J-45, my teacher's D-28, and a smattering of others over $1,500. I own some good guitars though (Seagull, Taylor, CA).
Quote by Thom1989
I couldn't find one to try. The biggest music place in the UK is Dawson's music. They don't stock them nor can they get hold of them. Then there gear 4 music. They are mostly online but have one warehouse in York which is about 3-4 hours away from me. No one in my local indie stores had heard of them or seen them. Are you actually looking to purchase a guitar or were you just intregued by the company?

Mostly I'm intrigued by them. Their guitars are so eye catching.
I've tried 7 or 8 Lunas at a shop once. not one of them sounded better than that $49 thing you can find at walmart. nice wall art or something to impress someone that knows nothing about guitars but, I'd never consider them a "true" instrument
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
I've tried 7 or 8 Lunas at a shop once. not one of them sounded better than that $49 thing you can find at walmart. nice wall art or something to impress someone that knows nothing about guitars but, I'd never consider them a "true" instrument

Ugh....that doesn't sound promising. I was hoping if they were at least on par with a good starter guitar (like the DR100).
Quote by TobusRex
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds as if you guys are skeptical for the same reasons I am, but it sounds like none of you guys has actually played one.

@ Cranky: Ugh. I had no idea "select spruce top" is often a euphemism and it bugs me. Seems deceptive. So what a guy should be looking for are the words "SOLID spruce top", correct?
"Select" is an adjective which tends to "imply" quality, but doesn't necessarily guarantee it. "Select" certainly isn't a "superlative", in the "good, better, best" qualitative comparison sense.

So, how does any one company define "select"? Hell, it could be as simple as wood without knot holes in it.

So yeah, "solid spruce top", is the only way to determine what the state of the top actually is.

In mid line Asia built instruments, solid spruce tops are likely no better than "AA" quality. (If that).

My Mexi-Taylor 12 looks like it might be flirting with "AAA", but I'm not really experienced in wood grading. So yeah, that's just a guess.
I can't speak to their acoustic line, but a couple of years back a friend of mine was in the market for a decent electric guitar and after auditioning perhaps 40 different ones at the local shop, with prices ranging from $300-$4000, I found a Luna LP style hanging on the wall in a nearly hidden back corner. It had been there so long that it was covered in dust and the strings were rusted. It was pretty though.

It turned out to be one of the best guitars we played that day, and he left with it with new strings and a hardcase for the princely sum of $335 (It had no price on it, and I'm pretty sure the salesgeek made it up on the spot...)

If their acoustics are even close, I'd say they are at least worth checking out.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I can't speak to their acoustic line, but a couple of years back a friend of mine was in the market for a decent electric guitar and after auditioning perhaps 40 different ones at the local shop, with prices ranging from $300-$4000, I found a Luna LP style hanging on the wall in a nearly hidden back corner. It had been there so long that it was covered in dust and the strings were rusted. It was pretty though.
OK, it's pretty hard to screw up a Les Paul clone. (Although, Ibanez seems to have done it with my "ART-100") With that said, Rondo Music's "Agile" line of electrics also gets rave reviews for sheer value.

Quote by Arby911
It turned out to be one of the best guitars we played that day, and he left with it with new strings and a hardcase for the princely sum of $335 (It had no price on it, and I'm pretty sure the salesgeek made it up on the spot...)
Despite being a Gibson subsidiary, Epiphone sometimes runs into a lot of negative comments regarding their SG & Les Paul offerings. Dunno if that's warranted or not.

Quote by Arby911
If their acoustics are even close, I'd say they are at least worth checking out.
They more than likely aren't. It likely boils down to the same situation as Ibanez or Dean. Electrics are their priority, and the acoustics are primarily focused on looks.
Hmmm...thanks for the feedback Arby. That contradicts what stepchild told me.

Probably it's one of those "play it first" situations with Luna.
Quote by TobusRex

Probably it's one of those "play it first" situations with Luna.

Probably. All too often I think we get buried in the "on paper" specifications and forget that the only real test is to play the damn thing!

A local store here is an exclusive dealer for Francisco Navarro classicals, and some years back got in a large shipment, mostly student classicals, but also several concert classicals and a half-dozen grand concert classicals. A good friend of mine sat with the owner and played every single one of them. (About 60 IIRC)

At the end of the day he left with one of the student classicals because IN HIS OPINION it was the best guitar there.

On paper it should have been one of the grand concerts (and they are amazing instruments) but for him they just didn't get it done.

Playing is everything.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, it's pretty hard to screw up a Les Paul clone. (Although, Ibanez seems to have done it with my "ART-100") With that said, Rondo Music's "Agile" line of electrics also gets rave reviews for sheer value.

Despite being a Gibson subsidiary, Epiphone sometimes runs into a lot of negative comments regarding their SG & Les Paul offerings. Dunno if that's warranted or not.

They more than likely aren't. It likely boils down to the same situation as Ibanez or Dean. Electrics are their priority, and the acoustics are primarily focused on looks.

I have an epi LP standard pro and an epi SG pro, both fantastic IMO, especially for the price. They do have some much cheaper LP and SG models though which of course wouldn't be as good. Gibson snobs maybe? Probably the same people who claim they can hear the difference between a solid maple top and a maple veneer top on an electric guitar.
Luna has some stylish looking guitars, some of them cool and some a little too far out for my taste. I wouldn't discount them because of the bling as I doubt that it adds much, if anything, to the production cost. Can't vouch for them though as I've never tried one but I wouldn't be too surprised if they were on par with most guitars in their price range. Of course they aren't gonna be high end - given their price point. The reviews on them are mixed - not good enough that I would risk ordering one on-line, but not so bad that I wouldn't consider them at all.
After looking at the models linked by the ts, I think that for the price you can easily get a decent solid top. Wouldn't spend more than about $175 for a laminate top myself. Probably why I never looked more into these. The peace safari however looks like an interesting little travel guitar for $169. Definitely a conversation piece for the campfire if nothing else.
Quote by hotrodney71
I have an epi LP standard pro and an epi SG pro, both fantastic IMO, especially for the price. They do have some much cheaper LP and SG models though which of course wouldn't be as good. Gibson snobs maybe? Probably the same people who claim they can hear the difference between a solid maple top and a maple veneer top on an electric guitar.
I strongly suspect the Epis may be a smarter buy in the here and now, than their Gibson counterparts. Especially with the effort Epiphone is putting into pickups and whatnot on their special editions.

People also seem a bit hostile toward the now unavoidable automatic tuners in the new SGs.
Quote by Captaincranky
I strongly suspect the Epis may be a smarter buy in the here and now, than their Gibson counterparts. Especially with the effort Epiphone is putting into pickups and whatnot on their special editions.

People also seem a bit hostile toward the now unavoidable automatic tuners in the new SGs.

From what I understand you can still get an amazing Gibson...but you have to get lucky. I've heard far fewer complaints about the other premium brands. I've heard almost nothing good about Gibson over the last few years. It's pretty sad, really. They are one of the great classic brands, but they've been taken over by assholes who care about nothing but profit.
Last edited by TobusRex at May 6, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
That's a tiny guitar! 1/2 scale? Or 3/4?
It's 1 1/2 size ukulele..

Luna loves those triangular sound holes. That one's pretty cool. It looks like a big Triangle Fender pick..

or maybe even more like these Dunlops:

Last edited by Captaincranky at May 18, 2016,
I bought my Daughter a Parlor style Luna to teach her guitar. I don't think they are horrible if you are just looking for a cheap beater acoustic. Has a very thin sound compared to solid tops, obviously more tailored to someone after cute looks in an acoustic.
Hehe...a damn ukelele. I almost guessed a uke, but thought it was just a little bitty guitar. If only I'd have read the message and not let my eyeballs get distracted by the instrument

@Ace: I bet your daughter loves her Luna none the less
Quote by TobusRex
Hehe...a damn ukelele. I almost guessed a uke, but thought it was just a little bitty guitar. If only I'd have read the message and not let my eyeballs get distracted by the instrument

@Ace: I bet your daughter loves her Luna none the less

she does definitely, she's just learning so she doesn't care about all the technical stuff on body types etc...she thinks im weird for smelling the soundhole of my acoustics.
Quote by AceLockeIII
....[ ].......she thinks im weird for smelling the soundhole of my acoustics.
Have you considered joining, "Sound Hole Sniffers Anonymous", for help combating and suppressing those urges"?

If you let it go on too long, you may require inpatient treatment! I hear that's a pretty rough go. They make you surrender your Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Collins, and any custom instruments you may own before entering the program, and then you can only play a "Rogue" 30 minutes a day until your discharge....!
Quote by AceLockeIII
she does definitely, she's just learning so she doesn't care about all the technical stuff on body types etc...she thinks im weird for smelling the soundhole of my acoustics.

You must've been huffing some really fat soundholes to think getting a Luna was a good idea.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You must've been huffing some really fat soundholes to think getting a Luna was a good idea.

Well it was only 150, its for my 11 year old to learn on. It suits her perfectly.