My current guitar is also my first: a six-string Denstone really meant as a starter axe. I detune a lot on this crappy guitar, and I've known about seven-strings for a while. I'm interesting mostly in the tuning versatility of a seven-string.

Now I'm serious about buying one. One that I'm really liking is the Ibanez GRG 7221. The black is absolutely beautiful, it has 24 frets (which I've wanted for a while) and it's only $200 on Amazon.

What's your opinion on this guitar, or Ibanez guitars in general? Anything better you'd recommend? I'd really hate to spend more than $300...
With such a limited budget I'd look for a used RG7321 or RG7421 if you can. Or if you're in the US look at Agile guitars. You can get a really solid axe for $300 from them.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The GRG7221 is pretty cheap and nasty out of the box, like most of the GIO series of Ibanez. You'd need to replace a lot for it to be a 'nice' guitar, however that is something you could do over time if your budget is limited.

Looking used is a great way to get a much better guitar for the same price. If you're in the US, look at Guitar Center's used stock for an Ibanez RG7321. The benefit of going through GC's used section is that they should have some sort of guarantee and return policy if it's faulty or you're not that into the guitar itself.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I'm not from the states, I live in Alberta, Canada. Wish we had something like Guitar Centre in Canada (at least, I don't know of anything equivalent...) There's an Axe Music about ten minutes from my place, can you say anything about them?

Could you be a little more specific about what's "wrong " with it right out of the box? I'l definitely look into the other guitars suggested, but I'm just curious. I don't gig (yet) so this thing would really for bedroom play for the time being. Point is, I might be able to get away with the "wrong" parts after the guitar has been set up...
Check with Rondo Music (dot com) and see if they're shipping to Alberta and what it would cost.
They have some of the best deals on new extended range guitars in the US, and if you can get it shipped to you without a lot of customs and other silliness (even if you have a stateside friend send it to you), it would definitely be worth it.
Quote by toateridax2010
I'm not from the states, I live in Alberta, Canada. Wish we had something like Guitar Centre in Canada (at least, I don't know of anything equivalent...) There's an Axe Music about ten minutes from my place, can you say anything about them?

Could you be a little more specific about what's "wrong " with it right out of the box? I'l definitely look into the other guitars suggested, but I'm just curious. I don't gig (yet) so this thing would really for bedroom play for the time being. Point is, I might be able to get away with the "wrong" parts after the guitar has been set up...

Hardware is poor quality and feels very cheap. Difficult to keep the high B string in tune as well as get it to the correct pitch due to the cheap machine heads, nut and bridge. The pickups aren't good at all and can't handle the lower tuning very well, just sounds flubby and messy. Overall just not a great player and doesn't sound very nice.

However you can always get hardware and electronics and a pro-setup would help things out a lot. Buying a used, superior model Ibanez would cut out the need to change those things however (except maybe the pickups but I don't actually think all Ibanez generic pickups are as awful as people say they are).
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
reverb.com would be one place to look.

go used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Eppicurt
Hardware is poor quality and feels very cheap. Difficult to keep the high B string in tune as well as get it to the correct pitch due to the cheap machine heads, nut and bridge. The pickups aren't good at all and can't handle the lower tuning very well, just sounds flubby and messy. Overall just not a great player and doesn't sound very nice.

However you can always get hardware and electronics and a pro-setup would help things out a lot. Buying a used, superior model Ibanez would cut out the need to change those things however (except maybe the pickups but I don't actually think all Ibanez generic pickups are as awful as people say they are).

So I can't detune on this thing...if I didn't pickups would be okay? And how much of it do you think a setup could fix? Any guess how much it would cost to fix the stuff a setup wouldn't?
Quote by toateridax2010
So I can't detune on this thing...if I didn't pickups would be okay? And how much of it do you think a setup could fix? Any guess how much it would cost to fix the stuff a setup wouldn't?

A setup would only fix how it plays, it wouldn't resolve the issues the hardware has. Cost varies but a general setup would be anywhere in the realm of $40-80 depending on the place you take it to.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Unfortunately with our Canadian dollar in the tank, Rondo or Reverb are not really viable options at the moment. With the exchange, import/duty and taxes and $300USD Agile could easily run up to $700CDN. I'm from Edmonton also and I would suggest perusing Kijiji (much more popular than Craigslist here). I usually see used 7 strings on there for around the $400 and maybe you could talk them down from there. Besides that, I would suggest seeing what they have for used stock at the 4 Long & Mcquades here or Axe Music's Orange Tag (Dutch Auction) deals, but the latter can require some patience.

Good luck and honestly like everyone else says, hold out for something better than the Gio, you'll be glad you did.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I've never had any issues with them, I'd say they're no better or worse than any other music store. The nice thing with them is their 30 day no questions asked return policy and if you want to go the financing route, they do it all in house as opposed to through a third party.

The guitars not bad but don't forget to search eBay Canada instead.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/231905302676

Like i said, the exchange and shipping is killing us right now unfortunately.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I just bought a used Schecter C7 for $225 and it's surprisingly good. It needs better pickups but it plays very well for a cheap Chinese instrument. It is a baritone though (26.5") so it's hard to play with my tiny hands. I'm playing slide on it though so that doesn't matter to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
don't think that'll be a problem, my hands are fucking huge. What's the difference between a baritone and a non-baritone?
Scale length of the neck. The longer it is, the thicker the strings you can use in lower tunings without it feeling too tight.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
A baritone is longer scaled. It makes it easier to downtune it. I am running mine in open A (aeaeac♯e) so that is a good thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That 7321 you linked to would be a fine starter-7. Definitely try and avoid the Gio line. As has been said, they are lousy.

Cath's idea for a used C7 is a good idea, Schecter has some offerings that would be pretty decent in that range.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
A baritone is longer scaled. It makes it easier to downtune it. I am running mine in open A (aeaeac♯e) so that is a good thing.

Baritone and a 7-string? So that's a pretty good combo?
It is if you've got a big hand.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just in a local music shop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It looks like c7 is a generic name, I ended up with most of the models being $800+. What's the exact model on yours? I can only find a Hellraiser c7, and they are VERY expensive...
It's a C7 SGR

Btw, the pups in it are crap. So factor a new set of pups into your budget. I just paid $200 (US$138) for a new bridge pup. $25 less than I paid for the guitar itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 23, 2016,
I'd recommend checking out this seven string guide from (removed), a guitar and gear review site: (link removed)