I've been considering entering this competition as well. I think it's fine but I would try and focus it towards to Rob's kind of personal choice in regards to riffing. He writes his riffs quite melodically and not quite as straight as yours. At 6 six seconds in try and land on a note, momentarily increase your picking speed and palm mute that note, then move onto the next part of the riff.

I'd say try and spice it up and a bit more, I mean don't go mad and just add things for the sake of it, but I'd definitely try and make it a bit more interesting. Like even throwing in some staccato notes when you hit the highest note on the highest string, hit it like 3 times but staccato that action. It'll give it a pointy edge and unique feel to the riff rather than just being straight.

A riff is a repeated phrase yes, but you can still be within the confines of 'riff' and use slight changes before the pattern starts again; this tends to give it more flare and feel.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I don't think I should have aimed at catering to anyone specific with a specific style and form. And there is melody in this, it simply contains some chromaticism and the occasional dissonance so it doesn't ring out as particularly "sweet". I'm not sure I really understood your suggestion, but if you were pointing out the consistent rhythm - that was kind of my point, having a relentless series of quavers while any rhythmical variation comes from the alternating time signatures.

And it's short enough to show the riff in its bare form. I think I would have added variation into actual repetitions of the riff if it was incorporated into a complete song/piece of music.

Thank you for the comment either way.
Last edited by TLGuitar at May 5, 2016,
Quote by TLGuitar
I don't think I should have aimed at catering to anyone specific with a specific style and form. And there is melody in this, it simply contains some chromaticism and the occasional dissonance so it does ring out as particularly "sweet". I'm not sure I really understood your suggestion, but if you were pointing out the consistent rhythm - that was kind of my point, having a relentless series of quavers while any rhythmical variation comes from the alternating time signatures.

And it's short enough to show the riff in its bare form. I think I would have added variation into actual repetitions of the riff if it was incorporated into a complete song/piece of music.

Thank you for the comment either way.

Just my opinion either way But it is like, Rob's competition that he is adjudicating so to me it makes sense to try and write something that would be aimed towards him to increase the overall chances of winning. But that's just me, if you're happy man go with it, you never know what might happen!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Well, I have a couple of other things I'd might submit and it won't be of the same style.