I've been taking lessons on and off for about 8 years, but I've barley learned a thing. All of the good teachers closed down their stores and or moved. And all that left was the bag ones, the ones that just gave you a piece of paper with chords or tabs on it and sat and played on their computer. I've run out of options, their are no more teachers around where I live. So I'm going to try to learn myself. I'm a decent player, I'm still a beginner and I feel like I'm not getting as much out of playing as I should be. What are some things that can help me start out? Exercises to learn chords? Anything is helpful and appreciated
There's a site called JustinGuitar I use from time to time for certain techniques and supplements, he has really comprehensive lessons on everything you'd need, plus it's free! Personally I'm self taught and there's a certain gratification that comes with it, but it's a good way to pick up some nasty habits. Most of my understanding comes from learning songs and seeing how they work, what chord progressions they use and how riffs and such work into scales
self study on anything is also too good but nothing is possible without a teacher
Nothing is possible without a teacher??? I hope nobody actually believes that.
Flying in a blue dream
I have been learning at home for close to 3 years now and I have not made a lot of progress.

I plan to sign up with Mike Gross at rockinguitarlessons. His Skype lessons are a little expensive for me though.
Quote by darshtaar
self study on anything is also too good but nothing is possible without a teacher

I learned how to play without a teacher.
Quote by King__chubby
I've been taking lessons on and off for about 8 years, but I've barley learned a thing. All of the good teachers closed down their stores and or moved. And all that left was the bag ones, the ones that just gave you a piece of paper with chords or tabs on it and sat and played on their computer. I've run out of options, their are no more teachers around where I live. So I'm going to try to learn myself. I'm a decent player, I'm still a beginner and I feel like I'm not getting as much out of playing as I should be. What are some things that can help me start out? Exercises to learn chords? Anything is helpful and appreciated

I'd recommend watching lots of videos on youtube and observing closely. I'd also recommend biting off a little more than you can chew. Here's why.

A year ago I could play guitar, yeah, but I was just playing cowboy style. I wanted to learn fingerstyle. I decided what song I most wanted to learn and watched all the videos on it I could find. I started working on the song. My skills weren't up to fingerpicking (yet). But after working on a song a little beyond my skill level for awhile, guess what? I started to get it. The skills I completely lacked in the beginning I started to pick up. I watched John Fahey alot and his picking patterns. I still didn't know Travis picking yet, but I improved dramatically.

Here's the tune that got me started on fingerstyle, in case you were curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2RdIH8A3yc

I was having problems with the bass line until I found this, which helped me tremendously. Plus...this teacher seems to really enjoy teaching. I really liked this lesson. I like when he says "just play it another thousand times"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFh-C6upvh8

Anyway since I hate using capos I found this really cool video showing a more "blues" style minus the capo on the 4th fret. This is what I play (not as well as Mr. Sokolow, who was kind enough to answer some questions for me). Am I singing out of key without the capo? Probably, but there was a pretty good chance of that anyway First time I hit that blues D7 it was so pretty it literally brought tears to my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_bkPWq6e-k
Last edited by TobusRex at May 6, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
I learned how to play without a teacher.

Me too.

Although the last few years honing my technique using free online tips has been very beneficial. Could have saved a quite a few years.
I also learned without a teacher, but I had a reasonable grounding in theory from piano lessons I had had several years before. However, if I had my time over, I would find a good teacher who was comptatible with my interests. I think that dialogue is important in developing technique in all sorts of ways, from new ideas to spotting and fixing problems.
Quote by King__chubby
Exercises to learn chords?

Have you learned to play some bar chords yet?
Last edited by just14 at Dec 6, 2016,
Quote by Killing Hand
Me too.

Although the last few years honing my technique using free online tips has been very beneficial. Could have saved a quite a few years.

I stubbornly refused to hire a teacher for decades. Plus back when I started there was no internet, so I was truly on my own. It was frustrating, as a consequence I quit playing for about 10 years after learning the chords in the 80's, and again for over 10 years after trying again with a classical guitar (a nice guitar too...Cordoba C-5) in the late 90's. Dec 2014 I decided to try Rocksmith 2014, which completely pulled me back in. The resources people have today on learning are amazing.

I took a teacher on a few months ago. He's really done a lot to get me "over the hump". I wish I'd hired a good instructor when I first started. I'd have probably never gotten frustrated, and I'd probably be better than Kottke by now. Hehe...jk....I'm better than him anyway
Last edited by TobusRex at May 10, 2016,
I'm sorry to hear that your experiencing frustration in you playing improvement.

If you feel that your out of options for guitar teachers in your area I would recommend trying Skype lessons with a teacher you like and feel would really help you.

There are plenty out there who work with all sorts of skill levels, have a look around to find one you resonate with and who charges a price that suits your budget

As a guitar teacher myself I realise that I lean more favourably towards the idea of receiving lessons then teaching yourself, but it's because I've done both through out my years of playing and I know how much the knowledge passed on from some of my teachers as helped me become the player I am today.

Isaac Newton put it best: "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

I've written a blog post on my website to help people who don't fit my studio criteria (I work exclusively with intermediate and advanced electric guitar players over the age of 18) find a teacher who will be great for them.

You can check it out here if your interested http://rockguitarlessons.com.au/guitar-teacher/

As far as finding something to work on right now, I would recommend becoming comfortable with your open chords and strumming patterns.

No matter what style of music you want to play eventually, chords and strumming patterns will always be necessary to some degree.

I would recommend learning the following open chords; Em, E, G, C, Am, A, Dm, D and F played as an Fmaj7 with 4 fingers.

A good strumming pattern to start with is the "Down, Down Up, Up Down Up" pattern.
This pattern (and variations of it) are used everywhere so it's a great strumming pattern to get down to start playing.

A quick Google search for this information might be enough for you, otherwise a great Skype guitar teacher would know exactly what to do

It sounds like you've got a real passion and desire to play so good luck with it all!
Try Rocksmith if you can. It's a very good learning tool. Other than that, go to youtube, find a backing track, open up an image of a scale that the backing track is using and improvise. That's the most fun way of learning to me. You can learn a lot by just practicing like that.
I'd be interested in what the teachers have shown you from the things listed in this article I wrote for my music school website. This is my approach to teaching someone. I have based it on physically developing a student's chording hand skills.

The main issue I see with students that have been to other guitar teachers is that they have been made to learn something too physically demanding too soon.

Read this and will be interested in what you have been shown so far - http://www.essm.net.au/how-to-learn-guitar/
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au