I have an old Ampeg Gemini 1 that I want to build a custom 2x10 cabinet for out of aluminum. Not sure what gauge to use, has anyone here ever heard of this?!? A friend of mine had it done on a fender twin and it sounds amazing. The resonance he gets from the cabinet is out of this world. He was telling me to use a double wall aluminum so that there is air in between. I like this idea. Same idea behind the resonance in an old resoglass guitar. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lol, its gonna get expensive, but if you like the way it sounds...go ahead and get it done. Aluminum is gonna be heavier than wood I would imagine at the thickness you're gonna need to hold everything in.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
it is gonna be expensive and shinny that is for sure
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RBM01991
Lol, its gonna get expensive, but if you like the way it sounds...go ahead and get it done. Aluminum is gonna be heavier than wood I would imagine at the thickness you're gonna need to hold everything in.

Aluminum is pound-for-pound stronger than steel, it should be quite light if it's designed properly, as the yield strength of aluminum is excellent, but at the minimum thickness required, I'd say that vibration damping is gonna be a nightmare! (I can't see it being done without ribbing and/or internal structure.)

It's also gonna be expensive...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Aluminum is pound-for-pound stronger than steel, it should be quite light if it's designed properly, as the yield strength of aluminum is excellent, but at the minimum thickness required, I'd say that vibration damping is gonna be a nightmare! (I can't see it being done without ribbing and/or internal structure.)

It's also gonna be expensive...

Well most cabs are made of relatively light wood, even if its plywood, an aluminum sheet lets say 10x20 that's 1/2" thick is gonna weigh more than wood probably. What's really gonna cause his expense is gonna be the grade of aluminum, plus the tolex and blah blah fucking blah. It would be cool to play through it and see if it actually makes a difference.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

On my friends cab I believe there is plywood used for the baffle and the back has aluminum wrapped around wood.
get some pic's of his cab if you can, I'm interested to see what it is like. And if you could get him to open it up so you can take a few of the internals, that'd be cool too.

You might need some Dynamat to help reduce the resonation of it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RBM01991
Well most cabs are made of relatively light wood, even if its plywood, an aluminum sheet lets say 10x20 that's 1/2" thick is gonna weigh more than wood probably. What's really gonna cause his expense is gonna be the grade of aluminum, plus the tolex and blah blah fucking blah. It would be cool to play through it and see if it actually makes a difference.

1/4 aluminum is far stronger than high quality 5/8 ply, so 1/2 aluminum would be gross overkill. For the stresses it would need to sustain, you could easily do it with 10ga, assuming ribbing and some internal structure to limit resonance.

A 4x8 sheet of 10ga aluminum weighs ~46#, a 4x8 sheet of 5/8 ply weighs ~48#

Given the internal structure needed, it seems like they would probably weigh about the same at the end of the day.

It would be a horrible waste to tolex it.

Other than the "cool" factor, I don't see an advantage.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
1/4 aluminum is far stronger than high quality 5/8 ply, so 1/2 aluminum would be gross overkill. For the stresses it would need to sustain, you could easily do it with 10ga, assuming ribbing and some internal structure to limit resonance.

A 4x8 sheet of 10ga aluminum weighs ~46#, a 4x8 sheet of 5/8 ply weighs ~48#

Given the internal structure needed, it seems like they would probably weigh about the same at the end of the day.

It would be a horrible waste to tolex it.

Other than the "cool" factor, I don't see an advantage.

I see, I would just be worried about the flexing capacity of the aluminum sheets, thats why I suggested 1/2". I mean lets be honest, if you're gonna get a solid aluminum cabinet, you're gonna need to tolex it. You take it to one outdoor gig and its gonna be infernally hot if its outside for 5 minutes and its gonna blind the audience when the light hits it. I'm more concerned now that I think about it with how you would ground it...
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
I see, I would just be worried about the flexing capacity of the aluminum sheets, thats why I suggested 1/2". I mean lets be honest, if you're gonna get a solid aluminum cabinet, you're gonna need to tolex it. You take it to one outdoor gig and its gonna be infernally hot if its outside for 5 minutes and its gonna blind the audience when the light hits it. I'm more concerned now that I think about it with how you would ground it...

my Krank 4x12 has a chrome grill, its really shiny. I traded the black grill for it with a friend and have wished I had not with in 2-3 weeks
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have some pics of my friends cab, not sure how to post them on here tho. Any help?!? And I was thinking maybe some of that rhino stuff they use on trucks instead of tolex?!? Just a thought for now at least
Quote by LeftyLin72
I have an old Ampeg Gemini 1 that I want to build a custom 2x10 cabinet for out of aluminum. Not sure what gauge to use, has anyone here ever heard of this?!? A friend of mine had it done on a fender twin and it sounds amazing. The resonance he gets from the cabinet is out of this world.

"Resonance" from a cabinet is uncontrollable. In perhaps one out of 50 cases where resonance from the cabinet itself is allowed or encouraged, you'll get lucky and it won't sound bad or (at the very least) weird. That's why virtually every engineer that designs speaker enclosures aims for cabinets where the materials themselves are not part of the sound. In addition, if your speaker cabinet is flexing, it's diminishing the power that the speaker puts out, and while that's not a big deal with guitar speakers that are also used in open back cabinets, it's pretty much the kiss of death if you're trying to reproduce the low frequency end of the spectrum.