I'm currently looking for an overdrive and reverb pedal as to play for some rock music (e.g AC/DC and GnR). Yes I know Slash just uses a tube amp but I want a pedal with that sort of sound. My budget is quite right now as I am currently buying a new guitar so it would be nice if the pedals were around £50 or even lower.
I'm currently looking at the dark matter distortion as I head it can produce great rock sounds if you roll the volume knob down. And also looking around at a couple boss pedals.
Many Thanks

I'm also loving this guys tone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW30FEVf7J4
So if it could come somewhere close to this
Last edited by steppinfear at May 5, 2016,
What amp do you have now?

My favorite marshall style pedal is the Zvex Distortron. I can dial in pretty classic sounds with it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
overdrive and a delay pedal, check out boss delay pedals, and for overdrive, go for the electroharmonix soul food overdrive
We Are 138!

lol

that was for the sort of tone from the video, for acdc, a boss ds1 distortion should get you there, for slash a ds1 might do it, but maybe not, but with all things music, its the player not the gear, as long as the gear is good quality you'll get a good sound out of it,
We Are 138!

lol

A DS-1 for AC/DC?

The DS-1 is pretty grainy, distorted and harsh. I don't see how that would be anybody's first choice for AC/DC or GNR. Sure, you can make them sound okay but they really aren't great.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
What amp do you have? You can get some pretty straight AC/DC tones just from pushing the amp in the right direction. For example if you whack the master on full but pull back on the gain, you'll find yourself in classic tone territory fairly quickly. You can then roll off on the volume of the guitar and get a clean tone on break up
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Tone City pedals are pretty good and are £40-45 for the mini ones. I have the Golden Plexi (OD) and Angel Wing (chorus), both are pretty damn good.

They have a lot of different types of drive pedals in the range so could have a look at those and see which suit you the best?
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Last edited by big-T at May 5, 2016,
A used Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 OD/Dist might be within your budget, and should be able to deliver those tones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Bad Monkey is an incredibly good pedal for the money. I'd also suggest you look at Joyo pedals as they offer some great tones for relatively little money. Some are better than others obviously but I have the Joyo Future Chorus and Joyo Gate of Khan and I'm happy with both. The Future Chorus is as good as any other chorus pedal I've ever had and the Gate of Khan is only bettered by an ISP Decimator I used to own. If you want a Delay, I got the T-Rex Play Back 60th Anniversary edition from Thomann for £60 and it includes tap tempo. Great value.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Bad Monkey is a good suggestion, check into a used Fulltone OCD too, tons of range in the pedal
OffsetOffset
Quote by SteveHOC
check into a used Fulltone OCD too, tons of range in the pedal

+1

For smooth distortion that would be my go-to. Also look at the EHX OD Glove, which is more or less the same idea but cheaper.
If you're hurting on cash then look into the Chinese Joyo pedals on Amazon. I've used a lot of them, they're made well and work nicely. Most are 30-40$ a piece.

You'll have to fight the moral battle, these are clones of popular pedals at a much lower cost. But I think they're great for people who live on a tight budget.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Ibanez tube screamers are great for distortion. BOSS pedals are debatable but I fucking love them
Quote by steppinfear

I'm currently looking at the dark matter distortion as I head it can produce great rock sounds if you roll the volume knob down.

you don't need to roll the volume knob down, it's actually not that high gain of a pedal. the name's kind of confusing, i think it's called the "dark matter" not because it's really brutal but because it's kind of dark-sounding. if anything, it might not be gainy enough for gnr. should be fine for ac/dc. i haven't tried it with a solid state amp, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Joyo ultimate overdrive has a great range of tones to it and it is better than it should be at that price. Overdrive pedals are great for low to mid gain stuff. They do work better with a tube amp where you add a bit of breakup to the sound and boost it and hit the pre amp for some sweet tones. On a solid state amp that will sound bad. just the nature of the beast.
The Boss od1x really excels at that kind of tone. Definitely worth checking out.