Page 1 of 28
Howdy folks

Bit of a slow news week around these parts so I figured it would be fun to make a little thread about things we got in 2016 or even things we have on the way/want to purchase soon. Now this isn't a super serious thread and I'm not sure if it's against the rules so if it is, feel free to delete it.

Anywho, I didn't really get much in 2016 but I plan on doing a nice 18w Marshall kit over the summer and that should keep me occupied. Also picked up a husk to fool around with but I don't really want to show much of that until its completely finished

I also picked up some parts:

and a case:

So once all of that arrives, I'll be good as gravy

So UG, what are your gear plans in 2016? Any new guitars planned? Maybe a new cab or some pedals? Post in here and let us know!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have an M9 incoming as I have sold my DL-4.

The only major purchase I have coming up is a new guitar. They were supposed to open preorders this past Monday but they didn't and there have been no updates. I'm starting to actually get anxious about it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214 at #33957522
I have an M9 incoming as I have sold my DL-4.

The only major purchase I have coming up is a new guitar. They were supposed to open preorders this past Monday but they didn't and there have been no updates. I'm starting to actually get anxious about it.

That should be a cool little upgrade! I hear the M9 is a pretty serious piece of kit. I'm sure you won't miss your DL4 much.

That's the worst. Hopefully it works for you and you can still order it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have one of these on the way, just need to finish paying it off.

After that I will be finishing my Stratocaster mod/complete overhaul project then it will be time for a new amp!
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Towards the end of the year I intend to get a second electric, as I sold off all my budget instruments to get my Tele and Twin; so far almost certainly an MIJ '62 Reissue Tele, as I have probably mentioned a few too many times, and playing an Epiphone Swingster the other day made me really want the Bigsby model, so I may splurge and buy that new so I can get it with the Bigsby in the candy apple red* I want. I wouldn't mind sunburst* either - it's not usually my colour but I think the bound body makes it look pretty lush.

If I can spare the cash, I'd also like to grab something along the same lines as my Twin but a bit more portable, which almost certainly in practice means a Deluxe Reverb of some description. Probably the '65 RI* or the '68 Custom*; I'd prefer the latter but I'm not too fussed and I'll probably be shopping secondhand so it'll depend on availability. Vibrolux would also be an option, but probably costlier. Old silverfaces would also be an option since they're pretty cheap and have mojo, but newer would probably be safer.

Beyond that, I'm somewhat tempted by the possibility of a Thinline Telecaster ('69 rather than '72 - I've yet to feel very much need for humbuckers back in my life), a baritone Warmoth Tele (plain-as-possible all unfigured maple? I become quite creative when my eyes stray from the price) or the previously-mentioned Epiphone Swingster which I still think is a really nice piece of kit even if I don't think I could ever have it as a main guitar but all three of those are probably something to see if I still want in the more distant future.

*Image links.
Quote by K33nbl4d3 at #33957674
Towards the end of the year I intend to get a second electric, as I sold off all my budget instruments to get my Tele and Twin; so far almost certainly an MIJ '62 Reissue Tele, as I have probably mentioned a few too many times, and playing an Epiphone Swingster the other day made me really want the Bigsby model, so I may splurge and buy that new so I can get it with the Bigsby in the candy apple red* I want. I wouldn't mind sunburst* either - it's not usually my colour but I think the bound body makes it look pretty lush.

If I can spare the cash, I'd also like to grab something along the same lines as my Twin but a bit more portable, which almost certainly in practice means a Deluxe Reverb of some description. Probably the '65 RI* or the '68 Custom*; I'd prefer the latter but I'm not too fussed and I'll probably be shopping secondhand so it'll depend on availability. Vibrolux would also be an option, but probably costlier. Old silverfaces would also be an option since they're pretty cheap and have mojo, but newer would probably be safer.

Beyond that, I'm somewhat tempted by the possibility of a Thinline Telecaster ('69 rather than '72 - I've yet to feel very much need for humbuckers back in my life), a baritone Warmoth Tele (plain-as-possible all unfigured maple? I become quite creative when my eyes stray from the price) or the previously-mentioned Epiphone Swingster which I still think is a really nice piece of kit even if I don't think I could ever have it as a main guitar but all three of those are probably something to see if I still want in the more distant future.

*Image links.

DRRIs are really nice. I don't own one but a jam at a place that rocks one and it's righteous. Would you unload your Twin too or just get another amp?

The TL teles are really cool.

Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma at #33957671
I have one of these on the way, just need to finish paying it off.

After that I will be finishing my Stratocaster mod/complete overhaul project then it will be time for a new amp!

Niiiiice. That looks pretty sweet.

What are you doing to your stratocaster? Is it a big overhaul or just some minor mods?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Many plans, many plans. Not NEARLY enough money for my many plans, but...

1) above all else, I plan on buying a second amp. My short list includes a Mesa Transatlantic, a Fender Bassbreaker, or something from Orange or Supro. There are also some "dark horse" candidates from Carvin, Tone King and Divided by 13. If the money is there and/or I sell my Fender HRD, I may buy a second amp- if I do, it will also be from those listed.

2) I'm buying picks & slides of exotic materials: copper, titanium, carbon fiber, carbon nylon, jade, agate, tungsten carbide...

3) always have pedals on my radar. Top priorities are a Keeley Katana Blues drive, Thorpy Muffroom Cloud, SolidgoldFX Sasori, a Catalinbread Belle Epoch and a Pigtronix Infinity Looper.

4) guitars are always on my mind, too. But because of the amp situation, I'm going to be limited. I definitely want to get a Fret-King Ventura, especially since I found a really good deal on one from a vendor at the Dallas Guitar Show. Not only would I get a good price on it, but also on the HSC that fits it. Aaaand another for the Fret-King Esprit V I bought a few months ago.

5) pickup swaps are in the works. Need some Rio Grande Dirty Harry HBs for my Malden Bad Karama. Leaning hard at some TV Jones pickups for my Fret-King Esprit V- Mr. Jones is quite convincing. Maybe some RailHammers for my Reverend Roundhouse.

6) a proper pedalboard*. But if you've seen my NGDs and this list above and didn't just glaze over, you're probably guessing it won't be a normal one. That guess would be correct.
http://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com/

* possibly more than one. I have a plan to design genre-specific pedalboards, so I'm not always plugging, unplugging and knob turning.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Currently this year I have bought a Mesa Rectoverb, Reverend Manta Ray and currently awaiting an Epi Brent Hinds V.

On the horizon I would like to get an SG, Yamaha SBG/SG, another PRS and potentially another amp. I am in need of a clean amp, looking towards a Fender DRRI, Vox AC30 or maybe a simple Classic 30. Still always on the lookout for more pedals!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Just started a new job and plan on getting a new electric guitar soon. I've been looking at some nice Les Pauls and some Gretsch Electromatics as well as some other hollow body guitars. I want to get another delay pedal too, and eventually want to save up for a nice Martin.
Quote by bobafettacheese at #33957730
Currently this year I have bought a Mesa Rectoverb, Reverend Manta Ray and currently awaiting an Epi Brent Hinds V.

On the horizon I would like to get an SG, Yamaha SBG/SG, another PRS and potentially another amp. I am in need of a clean amp, looking towards a Fender DRRI, Vox AC30 or maybe a simple Classic 30. Still always on the lookout for more pedals!!!

Nice haul and totally Jealous about your V acquisition. Those are mighty fancy looking.

Yeah pedals always seem to be on the horizon for most folks. There are definitely a few I want.

Quote by dannyalcatraz at #33957705
Many plans, many plans. Not NEARLY enough money for my many plans, but...

1) above all else, I plan on buying a second amp. My short list includes a Mesa Transatlantic, a Fender Bassbreaker, or something from Orange or Supro. There are also some "dark horse" candidates from Carvin, Tone King and Divided by 13. If the money is there and/or I sell my Fender HRD, I may buy a second amp- if I do, it will also be from those listed.

2) I'm buying picks & slides of exotic materials: copper, titanium, carbon fiber, carbon nylon, jade, agate, tungsten carbide...

3) always have pedals on my radar. Top priorities are a Keeley Katana Blues drive, Thorpy Muffroom Cloud, SolidgoldFX Sasori, a Catalinbread Belle Epoch and a Pigtronix Infinity Looper.

4) guitars are always on my mind, too. But because of the amp situation, I'm going to be limited. I definitely want to get a Fret-King Ventura, especially since I found a really good deal on one from a vendor at the Dallas Guitar Show. Not only would I get a good price on it, but also on the HSC that fits it. Aaaand another for the Fret-King Esprit V I bought a few months ago.

5) pickup swaps are in the works. Need some Rio Grande Dirty Harry HBs for my Malden Bad Karama. Leaning hard at some TV Jones pickups for my Fret-King Esprit V- Mr. Jones is quite convincing. Maybe some RailHammers for my Reverend Roundhouse.

6) a proper pedalboard*. But if you've seen my NGDs and this list above and didn't just glaze over, you're probably guessing it won't be a normal one. That guess would be correct.
http://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com/

* possibly more than one. I have a plan to design genre-specific pedalboards, so I'm not always plugging, unplugging and knob turning.

I feel you on that

I could see you rocking a Supro. What did you look at? The 1624T? The Bassbreaker is really cool. I have only tried the 007 and the 15 so far but I really LIKE what I'm hearing. Definitely enough for this blues fart.

I also need a proper pedalboard.

Quote by JustRooster at #33957702
Eventide Space, Earthquaker Palisades, Walrus Bellwether, etc etc etc

Niiiiice.

Did you win the lotto?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
complete the ash/korina strat. i'm thinking a couple three months on that.

then my plans are to sell off a bunch of pieces/parts that i'm not using in various craigslist dumps and see how much i can take back from this hobby.

and to practice more often.

also to make use of the super awesome telescope camera i purchased while jupiter is close and visible this time of year.

that's my plans for my gear in 2016!
My DST3FR is getting a DiMarzio Evo in green and will get a Schaller Floyd with Sperzel tuners...or if things go REALLY well, then I'll have Dan Lawrence do a custom graphic on it which is gonna be excellent...if not...Mike Learn or someone else legendary. My Ibanez RG560 is gonna need to be set up and have the frets leveled.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Niiiiice.

Did you win the lotto?

No, it's my plan to get them, haha! If my new apartment ends up having a detached garage, I plan to start building pedalboards. Should be fun.
I picked up a 1989 Charvel Fusion Custom that is totally stock an next to mint condition for $350, that is my big spend for 2016, as I have just gone into debt to buy a car for my wife
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I've already bought half a dozen pedals this year, and an Ibanez SR600. I intend in the not so distant future to get a 212 cabinet as well.

So far for me, my acquisition of gear has been sweet.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 5, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine at #33957819
I picked up a 1989 Charvel Fusion Custom that is totally stock an next to mint condition for $350, that is my big spend for 2016, as I have just gone into debt to buy a car for my wife

Well nice score. Now you have a sweet axe to hold you over so you can focus on those car payments

Quote by JustRooster at #33957813
No, it's my plan to get them, haha! If my new apartment ends up having a detached garage, I plan to start building pedalboards. Should be fun.

Yeah that should be a blast for sure

Quote by RBM01991 at #33957801
My DST3FR is getting a DiMarzio Evo in green and will get a Schaller Floyd with Sperzel tuners...or if things go REALLY well, then I'll have Dan Lawrence do a custom graphic on it which is gonna be excellent...if not...Mike Learn or someone else legendary. My Ibanez RG560 is gonna need to be set up and have the frets leveled.

Nice, that's a pretty awesome upgrade for your axe for sure. Probably a better upgrade then my cosmetic one for my LP really

Refins are fun but make sure the guitar is a keeper. FWIW I had a guitar refin'd and I still have it. Looks great.

Quote by gregs1020 at #33957799
complete the ash/korina strat. i'm thinking a couple three months on that.

then my plans are to sell off a bunch of pieces/parts that i'm not using in various craigslist dumps and see how much i can take back from this hobby.

and to practice more often.

also to make use of the super awesome telescope camera i purchased while jupiter is close and visible this time of year.

that's my plans for my gear in 2016!

Yeah I was following your thread on that. Shaping up to be a sweet fiddle.

Also, amen to getting rid of parts AND to practice more.

Pics or its pluto.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE at #33957838
I've already bought half a dozen pedals this year, and an Ibanez SR600. I intend in the not so distant future to get a 212 cabinet as well.

So far for me, my acquisition of gear has been sweet.

Nice, sounds like a good year for sure.

What pedals?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Nice, sounds like a good year for sure.

What pedals?

A Hall Of Fame, a mk1 Bad Horsie, An MXR 10 band EQ, a CC and an Analog Chorus.

Nothing stupidly priced or esoteric, just pedals that are known to do what they do really well. Ebay is the way to go.

The SR is a really sweet bass too, but I'm using it solely as a recording tool. So I chose not to spend that much.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 5, 2016,
Aside from what I've already got this year, thinking about new pickups for my DZPL. Realy trying to like the stock ones, but I just can't.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Aside from what I've already got this year, thinking about new pickups for my DZPL. Realy trying to like the stock ones, but I just can't.

Any sets youre looking at?

Im a tinkerer at heart so I dont keep parts for long

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A Hall Of Fame, a mk1 Bad Horsie, An MXR 10 band EQ, a CC and an Analog Chorus.

Nothing stupidly priced or esoteric, just pedals that are known to do what they do really well. Ebay is the way to go.

The SR is a really sweet bass too, but I'm using it solely as a recording tool. So I chose not to spend that much.

For sure those are solid pedals

Wanted the HOF myself for a bit.

Also yeah those Ibby basses look all kinds of sweet
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm kinda almost through some major rig change. For the last few years I used to be a full stack/half stack, single channel, guitar straight in kinda guy but I needed a change. I already picked up a new amp, a 97 Peavey Ultra Plus 1x12 combo. I always wanted an Ultra Plus but they're almost non-existent in my part of the world, when I've been hunting for a new amp I've looked at a Rectoverb and a 6505 but wasn't entirely happy with neither, then the Ultra popped up and I had to have it. Near mint, original footswitch, a new set of tubes, the stock speaker replaced with a G12T and $350 including shipping. I couldn't be happier. The amp's a beast, but it can sound subtle and beautiful when needed
I also got into the pedal/diy electronics game. I dug out and fixed my old Ibanez Chorus that I haven't used in almost 10 years. Built myself an OD pedal (kind of a true-bypass, modded SD-1 clone) and phase 90 clone. I did yet another pickup change on my old MIJ Jackson Kelly.
At the moment working on some more pedals, building a pedalboard and I'm thinking of modding the Peavey into a head and a cab, the combo's heavy as hell. :p
And I'm kinda GASing for a natural finish/maple fretboard Tele but I'm not sure I squeeze another mayor expense this year.

TL;DR
Got a Peavey Ultra Plus
Built some pedals
Building a pedalboard
Want a Tele
Last edited by tsc86 at May 5, 2016,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nice, that's a pretty awesome upgrade for your axe for sure. Probably a better upgrade then my cosmetic one for my LP really

Refins are fun but make sure the guitar is a keeper. FWIW I had a guitar refin'd and I still have it. Looks great.

I can't wait, I emailed both of them and I can't wait to see what they come up with.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Any sets youre looking at?

Im a tinkerer at heart so I dont keep parts for long

For sure those are solid pedals

Wanted the HOF myself for a bit.

Also yeah those Ibby basses look all kinds of sweet

Well, my Jackson has an SH4/jazz combo which is nice. I like the Tone Zone/Air Norton in my Destroyer too, though.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
DRRIs are really nice. I don't own one but a jam at a place that rocks one and it's righteous. Would you unload your Twin too or just get another amp?

Wouldn't dream of getting rid of the Twin (I guess unless I had a sudden permanent move), it's exactly what I want, except for pretty comfortably exceeding half my weight.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What are you doing to your stratocaster? Is it a big overhaul or just some minor mods?

Pretty much everything except the wood it is made from is getting replaced

First things first, I have no idea what kind of Squier this actually is, I bought it from a Cash Converters for £30 after having to sell my collection of ESPs, a Fender USA Strat and Marshall amps due to a huge financial crisis caused by my darling (now ex) girlfriend at the time. I made a thread about it on here about a year or so ago and we couldn't work out anything about it other than it was probably from the 90's and maybe had a neck swap.

Anyway, at the moment I have replaced the bridge with a black Wilkinson WVPC Hipshot style with big steel block, the tuners with black locking tuners from Axes R Us and bought a tortoise shell pick guard routed for dual humbuckers, I also replaced the shitty plastic nut with a black graphite one. This thing never goes out of tune now, now matter how much I abuse the trem, whereas before even doing a bend would make it go out of tune.

I plan to buy a Hot Slag and Steamhammer from Iron Gear and then all replacement pots, wiring, switch and jack all at once and wire the thing up when I can be arsed, but I keep spending my money on new guitars and pedals at the minute...lol.

After all that I am going to level, crown and polish up the frets, and possibly carve a flatter neck profile more akin to an Ibanez then finish it in some kind of oil or thin lacquer after it is all done.

Basically all that will be original will be the fretboard and body, everything else has been upgraded/swapped, even the neck plate and jack plate.

Totally cost ineffective, but it has been so much fun and this guitar has been with me since my life hit the shitter and has constantly improved with me as I have got back on my feet, it has a sentimental value that means it will never be sold and it will be a total beast when I have finished, much better than a £300 or so guitar which is around the total I will have spent on it by the time I am done I reckon.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Well last December I got a 4x12 Mesa Recto cab for $400 CAD at a pawn shop, and I haven't slowed down much since then. I got a 6505 with a grill and LED mod, but 3 of the pots are seized atm, hoping to get that fixed within the month, as soon as I get a backup amp for band practice. Also got a TS9, MXR 10 band eq, Ernie Ball VP Jr., DD7, a MIM Strat, and built a cheap pedalboard with some junk from Michaels and a 1 Spot. I also got a Metal Zone to mod (Diesel mod), and a couple other cheap pedals. I met a local luthier who refinished my first guitar for me, as well. Seafoam green, 3/4 size, 21 frets, hardtail, single humbucker (JB) and its my main guitar in my tech death band haha. He and I are also in the process of building a new neck for my 7 string Ibanez Gio that I also bought recently. That'll also need a pickup swap (Pegasus/Sentient, probably).

On the list is the aforementioned backup amp and pot repair, and then I also want an MXR M234 chorus, Seymour Duncan 805, and maybe a reverb pedal. Footswitches as well, and I'd like to start building my own cables. A proper pedalboard, an MXR Iso Brick, Polytune, monitors, and some other odds and ends. If I'm reeeeaaaally good and save all my pennies, maybe a Carvin DC127 before the year is out.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by BledGhostWhite
Well last December I got a 4x12 Mesa Recto cab for $400 CAD at a pawn shop, and I haven't slowed down much since then. I got a 6505 with a grill and LED mod, but 3 of the pots are seized atm, hoping to get that fixed within the month, as soon as I get a backup amp for band practice. Also got a TS9, MXR 10 band eq, Ernie Ball VP Jr., DD7, a MIM Strat, and built a cheap pedalboard with some junk from Michaels and a 1 Spot. I also got a Metal Zone to mod (Diesel mod), and a couple other cheap pedals. I met a local luthier who refinished my first guitar for me, as well. Seafoam green, 3/4 size, 21 frets, hardtail, single humbucker (JB) and its my main guitar in my tech death band haha. He and I are also in the process of building a new neck for my 7 string Ibanez Gio that I also bought recently. That'll also need a pickup swap (Pegasus/Sentient, probably).

On the list is the aforementioned backup amp and pot repair, and then I also want an MXR M234 chorus, Seymour Duncan 805, and maybe a reverb pedal. Footswitches as well, and I'd like to start building my own cables. A proper pedalboard, an MXR Iso Brick, Polytune, monitors, and some other odds and ends. If I'm reeeeaaaally good and save all my pennies, maybe a Carvin DC127 before the year is out.

that's a pretty crazy deal for that cab man! Nice pedals and guitar score as well.

A Carvin/Kiesel would be super sweet for sure

Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Pretty much everything except the wood it is made from is getting replaced

First things first, I have no idea what kind of Squier this actually is, I bought it from a Cash Converters for £30 after having to sell my collection of ESPs, a Fender USA Strat and Marshall amps due to a huge financial crisis caused by my darling (now ex) girlfriend at the time. I made a thread about it on here about a year or so ago and we couldn't work out anything about it other than it was probably from the 90's and maybe had a neck swap.

Anyway, at the moment I have replaced the bridge with a black Wilkinson WVPC Hipshot style with big steel block, the tuners with black locking tuners from Axes R Us and bought a tortoise shell pick guard routed for dual humbuckers, I also replaced the shitty plastic nut with a black graphite one. This thing never goes out of tune now, now matter how much I abuse the trem, whereas before even doing a bend would make it go out of tune.

I plan to buy a Hot Slag and Steamhammer from Iron Gear and then all replacement pots, wiring, switch and jack all at once and wire the thing up when I can be arsed, but I keep spending my money on new guitars and pedals at the minute...lol.

After all that I am going to level, crown and polish up the frets, and possibly carve a flatter neck profile more akin to an Ibanez then finish it in some kind of oil or thin lacquer after it is all done.

Basically all that will be original will be the fretboard and body, everything else has been upgraded/swapped, even the neck plate and jack plate.

Totally cost ineffective, but it has been so much fun and this guitar has been with me since my life hit the shitter and has constantly improved with me as I have got back on my feet, it has a sentimental value that means it will never be sold and it will be a total beast when I have finished, much better than a £300 or so guitar which is around the total I will have spent on it by the time I am done I reckon.

That really sucks to hear man... But yeah I think this little project will be super fun especially considering the sentimental value of the guitar. Plus it'll be a great opportunity to learn new stuff about guitars and fixing them up etc...

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Wouldn't dream of getting rid of the Twin (I guess unless I had a sudden permanent move), it's exactly what I want, except for pretty comfortably exceeding half my weight.

Yeah, they are fat pigs for sure. Really juicy pigs though!

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, my Jackson has an SH4/jazz combo which is nice. I like the Tone Zone/Air Norton in my Destroyer too, though.

Can't really go wrong with either tbh

Quote by RBM01991
I can't wait, I emailed both of them and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Yeah its super exciting. At least it was for me

Quote by tsc86
I'm kinda almost through some major rig change. For the last few years I used to be a full stack/half stack, single channel, guitar straight in kinda guy but I needed a change. I already picked up a new amp, a 97 Peavey Ultra Plus 1x12 combo. I always wanted an Ultra Plus but they're almost non-existent in my part of the world, when I've been hunting for a new amp I've looked at a Rectoverb and a 6505 but wasn't entirely happy with neither, then the Ultra popped up and I had to have it. Near mint, original footswitch, a new set of tubes, the stock speaker replaced with a G12T and $350 including shipping. I couldn't be happier. The amp's a beast, but it can sound subtle and beautiful when needed
I also got into the pedal/diy electronics game. I dug out and fixed my old Ibanez Chorus that I haven't used in almost 10 years. Built myself an OD pedal (kind of a true-bypass, modded SD-1 clone) and phase 90 clone. I did yet another pickup change on my old MIJ Jackson Kelly.
At the moment working on some more pedals, building a pedalboard and I'm thinking of modding the Peavey into a head and a cab, the combo's heavy as hell. :p
And I'm kinda GASing for a natural finish/maple fretboard Tele but I'm not sure I squeeze another mayor expense this year.

TL;DR
Got a Peavey Ultra Plus
Built some pedals
Building a pedalboard
Want a Tele

Nice score on the Ultra, I've always heard good things

DIY stuff is super fun, I've modded a few pedals myself and really enjoyed it. I'll be hopefully doing an amp in the future
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I feel you on that

I could see you rocking a Supro. What did you look at? The 1624T? The Bassbreaker is really cool. I have only tried the 007 and the 15 so far but I really LIKE what I'm hearing. Definitely enough for this blues fart.

I also need a proper pedalboard.

The trick is, of course, actually getting to try anything. My FLMS sells Fender, Orange and Supro, which is good. But the Mesa is out of production, Divided By 13 seems to have only one local supplier, and Carvin is direct sales or via eBay only. As an additional cherry on top, the Bassbreakers seem to be selling like hotcakes- one local store sold out completely in under a month.

All added together with the fact that I'm having a devil of a time actually getting the time to go amp shopping?

IOW, at this point, I've tried ZERO amps. So what is going on is I have a bunch of ideas & criteria in my head and almost no way to make a truly informed decision.

I will say that whatever I buy will be a tube combo between 20-60w...but that's as definitive as I can get! Will I scratch my stoner metal itch with an Orange? Will I sell my HRD and get a Bassbreaker? Will the Mesa beat both out?

Damn if I know right now.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That really sucks to hear man... But yeah I think this little project will be super fun especially considering the sentimental value of the guitar. Plus it'll be a great opportunity to learn new stuff about guitars and fixing them up etc..

Yeah, moral of the story : don't give your money to silly girls you live with to pay the rent and bills and shit while you are at work since she just sits on her arse all day anyway...they will just pocket it over the year and hide all the mail and phone calls from you about the debt then conveniently break up with you and move out a week before they come to kick you out your property

Yeah I have learned a lot of stuff and I plan to put it all into action on another USA Strat when I have the dough to buy one, will keep it single coils and more vintage spec for the "not metal" music I listen to.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The trick is, of course, actually getting to try anything. My FLMS sells Fender, Orange and Supro, which is good. But the Mesa is out of production, Divided By 13 seems to have only one local supplier, and Carvin is direct sales or via eBay only. As an additional cherry on top, the Bassbreakers seem to be selling like hotcakes- one local store sold out completely in under a month.

All added together with the fact that I'm having a devil of a time actually getting the time to go amp shopping?

IOW, at this point, I've tried ZERO amps. So what is going on is I have a bunch of ideas & criteria in my head and almost no way to make a truly informed decision.

I will say that whatever I buy will be a tube combo between 20-60w...but that's as definitive as I can get! Will I scratch my stoner metal itch with an Orange? Will I sell my HRD and get a Bassbreaker? Will the Mesa beat both out?

I would say Orange, you already have a Fender and Mesa's have quite a Fendery clean.

Plus Oranges are sexy and great sounding IMO, I'm going to get one after I get a Laney Ironheart/6505 for the more softer stuff.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Last edited by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma at May 5, 2016,
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

I would say Orange, you already have a Fender and Mesa's have quite a Fendery clean.

Plus Oranges are sexy and great sounding IMO, I'm going to get one after I get a Laney Ironheart/6505 for the more softer stuff.

The Orange option has been a frontrunner for some time for all those reasons, and more.

But some of the amps in consideration- the Transatlantic, the Bassbreaker, certain Carvins- would give me excellent cleans plus usable dirt channels my HRD doesn't have- meaning I could sell it. That's very tempting.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I was following your thread on that. Shaping up to be a sweet fiddle.

yeah it's time to get back to it and i need to update the thread.

i've been busy with work stuff, so it gave the finish a chance to dry.

looking forward to seeing the red lp back together, looks great with the double creams.
Not much. Cleaning mine and checking out tube combos. I'm considering the Blackstar HT40 and Marshall DSL40C when I do bite, but it won't be until the end of this year or early next.

I will probably go shield my Squire once I find where I put my soldering iron. In the meantime, more reading.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Probably gonna add an Ibanez 2550z into the mix in a few weeks, and I might also add a cheap 7 or 8 string to get a feel for experimenting with that.
Quote by JackalUK at #33958548
Probably gonna add an Ibanez 2550z into the mix in a few weeks, and I might also add a cheap 7 or 8 string to get a feel for experimenting with that.

Nice nice. Would you stick with Ibby for the 7 string or did you have others in mind?

Quote by bjgrifter at #33958530
Not much. Cleaning mine and checking out tube combos. I'm considering the Blackstar HT40 and Marshall DSL40C when I do bite, but it won't be until the end of this year or early next.

I will probably go shield my Squire once I find where I put my soldering iron. In the meantime, more reading.

Nice, solid options to choose from for sure.

Quote by gregs1020 at #33958155
yeah it's time to get back to it and i need to update the thread.

i've been busy with work stuff, so it gave the finish a chance to dry.

looking forward to seeing the red lp back together, looks great with the double creams.

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting that LP up and running too. Parts are finally on this side of the border so I'm hoping for a Tuesday delivery.

Here's a little teaser shot if anybody wants to check it out:

Quote by dannyalcatraz at #33958102

Yeah most of the retailers up here are even out of stock for most of the range. Especially the 007 and the 15. Either way, whatever you end up with I'm sure will be sweet.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nice nice. Would you stick with Ibby for the 7 string or did you have others in mind?

I was gonna go full hog and get a Schecter Banshee Elite 7, but considered it a little too much of a stretch in case I didn't like it. I've played an Ibanez 6 before so I know I can get on with that well. I'll probably look at trying to get my hands on a store demonstrator Omen or something in 7 or 8 and seeing how that feels before I drop any cash.
Quote by JackalUK at #33958612
I was gonna go full hog and get a Schecter Banshee Elite 7, but considered it a little too much of a stretch in case I didn't like it. I've played an Ibanez 6 before so I know I can get on with that well. I'll probably look at trying to get my hands on a store demonstrator Omen or something in 7 or 8 and seeing how that feels before I drop any cash.

Yeah, that's not a bad plan for sure.

Anybody got anything planned recording gear wise? I was thinking of picking up another mic or two before the end of the year.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I don't really have any big plans for gear this year, other than fix the minor faults with my AC30 which are the reason I was able to afford it, and put together a pedalboard for it that allows me to switch between the normal and brilliant channels with different sets of FX so that I can kind of use the normal channel as a dirty channel and the brilliant channel as a clean channel.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube at #33958867
I don't really have any big plans for gear this year, other than fix the minor faults with my AC30 which are the reason I was able to afford it, and put together a pedalboard for it that allows me to switch between the normal and brilliant channels with different sets of FX so that I can kind of use the normal channel as a dirty channel and the brilliant channel as a clean channel.

Nice, is it one of those AC30/4s? Maybe you could run something like a pedal switcher and modify it with selectable outputs and split that output into the separate channel inputs on your AC/30.

Or if its the ones that have the footswitch option, IIRC some commercial pedal switchers can also be used as a channel changer on your amp. That would probably be relatively hassle free.

Mind you, I'm not familiar with much of that kind of stuff so there's probably a much easier way
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
On the agenda: get a nice setup for my Ovation (should be happening this month), Complete my pedalboard (really just need a good delay at this point), throw my Dimarzio PAF Pros into my Faded SG (may do that this weekend).

What I would LIKE to do this year is pick up a Carvin for a more metal-oriented guitar. Min's thread and many other folks who have posted theirs here have convinced me that I need one

What I have gotten so far this year: Mark IV!!! I've had it for quite some time now, I really need to post a NAD. It's everything I loved about the Mark III but much easier and more convenient to use. The lead channel is godly.

I also just ordered a Bad Horsie 2, I used to have the Bad Horsie but I sold it (foolishly) in an attempt to consolidate to a MFX unit.

Lastly, I recently put a CL/LF set in my Music Man. Best metal pickups I've ever played, bar none. They are just right, not too aggressive, not too mushy, not too bassy, not too trebly, everything sits right where it's supposed to, and the Liquifire is by far my favorite neck pickup to date.

That's about it so far, but I rarely leave gear alone for too long
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
only plan at this point is to use what I've got. sure there is always temptation or GAS but overall I have the basics covered.