Title.

I need a backup amp for my band (currently using a 6505 through a 4x12 rectocab). In the meantime, my rhythm guitarist might use my backup while I use the 6505. We play tech death, but my drummer uses Roland V Drums so we have the option of playing a little quieter, but I still want the other amp to be loud enough. From what I've read, the Micro Dark can be loud enough to play with a band with a good cab, so I assume an oversized 4x12 with V30s will be loud enough. Anyone have experience with this?

I really like the idea of how portable the Orange is and the clean channel sounds alright, too. I've got an EQ pedal and TS9, so i'm sure I could get it to sound appropriate. It would be nice to have an amp I could use at home, too, because I don't have an amp at home. The only real advantages of the VK is the fact that it'll definitely be loud enough, it's footswitchable and it's a bit cheaper. The VK is $200 and the Orange is $300.

WWJD?

WWYD?
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
I would not use the Micro Dark in a band setting unless I absolutely had to. The VK amps are actually pretty nice sounding amps that are pretty versatile.

VK for me. If you want a nice cheap portable amp, look at the used Krank Jr series. They come in 20 or 50 watts the Pro versions are foot switchable, the regular JR series is not foot switchable. They run <$300 used and are a great small/light back-up amp that can hang at band volumes. I have had a Krank 1980Jr for several years and it is a beast of an amp and only 20lbs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
VK
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 5, 2016,
I would be surprised if the Micro Dark could get cleans anywhere near loud enough to compete even with light drumming. It's just not made for that. I was thinking about buying a Tiny Terror one time and even that couldn't get cleans at a very loud volume at all. The OD tone was very nice though.

Valvekings, on the other hand, have excellent cleans that can get pretty loud without breakup. And the overdrive is okay -- can be more than decent with the right pedals, tubes, and speakers.

I'd go with a Valveking here.
I had a Valveking, for metal, i'd have to crank the volume up to 10 and put a TS808 in front of it so I could get usable melo-death tones. I'd go for the Micro Dark since you have an electronic drum kit and can control the volume.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Thanks guys. I had a XXX at one point, but sold it, as I wasn't too huge on the sound of it. Valve King sounds like it'll be the way to go. If it's still there when payday comes, I just might jump on it.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
The Valveking would be my choice of the two. Quality speakers, Fresh Tubes, boost up front, jumper the loop, should keep up with the 6505 just fine.

I think the XXX would be a better amplifier. I think they contrast really well with 6505 amps. But, if that isn't your thing, that's cool. The VK will get the job done on the cheap.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I'd check out the Kranks Robb mentioned if I were you. A guy with a studio near me sold a few of the Krank lunchbox heads, his price kept dropping. They eventually sold but for less than $300, possibly far less, so I'd bet you could find one in budget. I have no need for an amp but I was tempted. Same with the Jet City JCA20 head he still had last I checked...for $150.

But really the Valveking would probably make an excellent utility amp. Throw a "Marshall-in-a-box" distortion in front, it may sound pretty good.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20