Yes, I understand fully that most people who will be listening to my music won't be able to tell the difference between 44.1k and above. But this is in regards to direct guitar and Re-Amping, in which I hear a MASSIVE difference when tracking. Everything else is done in 48k.

Generally the way I record guitars is I record everything direct-input and reamp it through my rig miked-up at a later time, and while tracking I apply some basic free amp-sim VSTs for proper reference. My issue is that the ones I use by Poulin cause my DAW to freeze when the sample rate is set higher than 48k.

I could just record the guitars dry at 96k with no amp sim's but I wouldn't get a proper reference, and my other option is to record DI's with a mini amp miked alongside but that keeps me from being able to track past 10PM (legal quiet hours).

What lower-cost/free guitar plugins work in higher sample rate settings? I'm after something cheap as this is only for monitoring purposes so something like Bias or Waves GTR is a bit excessive considering I'm reamping to my tube rig.
Maybe try Nick Crow:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=718

with NadIR for impulse loader, make sure you load cab impulses at your tracking rate, say 96k.
That might be your issue with Poulin as well.

What DAW are you on? Reason I am asking as that most have their own amp sims nowadays, I use Ampire in Studio One now most of the time.

Check with IK Multimedia on the latest Amplitube 4 - that one should handle your tracking rates. You can download the small limited version and add one or two amps a-la-carte just for tracking.

Alternately, you can use an outside DI and split your signal in two, record with something like a Sansamp GT-2 or TRI-OD...or even a cheaper pedal like say Digitech DF-7 which has speaker sim out.
Quote by diabolical
Maybe try Nick Crow:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=718

with NadIR for impulse loader, make sure you load cab impulses at your tracking rate, say 96k.
That might be your issue with Poulin as well.

What DAW are you on? Reason I am asking as that most have their own amp sims nowadays, I use Ampire in Studio One now most of the time.
I have a feeling the impulses could be the issue, I'll have to try it with just the heads and see. I don't think the impulses are in high sample rates so it's probably causing confusion in the program.

My DAW is Reaper, while it has some decent stock effects for it's price, no real guitar amp modeling included unfortunately. =\

Quote by diabolical
Check with IK Multimedia on the latest Amplitube 4 - that one should handle your tracking rates. You can download the small limited version and add one or two amps a-la-carte just for tracking.

Alternately, you can use an outside DI and split your signal in two, record with something like a Sansamp GT-2 or TRI-OD...or even a cheaper pedal like say Digitech DF-7 which has speaker sim out.
I'll look into those, mainly Amplitube. The other option sounds functional but a bit complicated.
Guitar Rig and Amplitube have a partially functional trials with a a few cut rate amps/cabs so maybe just test these out with your current setup and see if it works.

I think I might have a few IRs at 96k I'll upload a few and PM you the link.