I had a though earlier (it's dangerous when I think).
When people ask about what acoustic to buy i see the name Taylor thrown around a lot by people suggesting buying used for the same money as a 'lesser' new guitar. And then that made me think.
When I was hunting for a guitar I ended up binging out an playing a wide range of guitars from right at the bottom price wise to a few high end guitars even though I had a set range of £250-£350.
There's one that keeps niggling at me and I've decided to save up and buy it.
It is a redwood AP 20s parlour. And it costs a bank breaking £80 brand new. It's solid cedar or spruce (can't remember off hand) with laminated walnut back and sides. And it just stand out as being superb value. It played brilliantly sounded great and certainly gave a few guitars 2-3 times more a run for their money.
When I joined I will be honest you lot can seem a bit daunting. When I asked I was immediately pointed towards a used Taylor but it was way out of budget and it left me feeling like there was no point buying in my budget because nothing was good enough.
I also know there will be people out there with a very small budget so I though let's make a list. So that people on a very tight budget can buy a new instrument that they enjoy playing, not one they want to chop to bits and burn after a week.
Criteria:

MUST be new
Sub $150 / £100
Why it really stood out to you.

So I will start with the redwood.

Model:Redwood AP20s
Body: Parlour
Price: £79.99

This was a very easy to play guitar and remarkably comfortable even though I'm a gangly bugger at 6ft4. sounded really nice finger picked not to twangy like some.
Just seemed like Suberb value for money.
I cant really be any help, but wanted to stop by out of curiosity to see what comes up, as I am also in the market for an easy on the pocket acoustic. The lower end, (or should I say, less expensive) acoustics that I have experienced with in stores seemed to be lacking in the electronics department, but shine unplugged, guess that is where they are cutting cost. Cool with me, I'm looking for a campfire type unit anyway, something to lug around and party with.
Flying in a blue dream
I played an Epiphone PR150 awhile back that knocked my socks off. Perfect action, sounded good. I've seen those on Amazon for $99!
Not many of us would argue that there is much relationship between price and performance in factory guitars, so you have to trust your ears. Two of the best acoustics I have ever played were cheapos. My arguments in favour of Taylor are all about structural details and longevity, absolutely nothing to do with tone, and used is a better bet for resale value.

I had a look - solid cedar/laminated walnut. Walnut has a long-standing reputation for combining well with cedar, though the effects wont be so obvious in laminated.
Gretsch Jim Dandy Parlor!!!! I bought it for under 200$ with a strap, case, and insurance. Without a doubt I like the sound better than my Yamaha FG700 (or at least I think that's the model, I know Yamaha FG something with a Spruce Top). It does NOT have a strong bass sound, don't get me wrong, but I usually use the parlor for learning, travel, and chugging chords. It's a really great instrument, all my guitarist friends who play it love it too. They come in some sick colors too, I went for the Red and Black. It came with a pickguard but I took it off, I think it looks way better without it.
I think the best testament to how much I love it is that the plastic part of the tuner (the part that let's you tune the Damm thing) on the Low E string snapped off, so I keep a pair of pliers with it, instead of just bailing on it
That sucks that the tuner broke! I think I remember you buying that last year. That was you, right?

At least it's still playable, and you enjoy it.
Quote by TobusRex
That sucks that the tuner broke! I think I remember you buying that last year. That was you, right?

At least it's still playable, and you enjoy it.

I bought it in July so about a year ago, yeah. And I have no idea how to even fix it, if they sell replacements or if I'd have to buy a whole set of new tuners (it's one piece with 3 tuners), but that's for another thread, I don't mean to hijack
can't you replace the tuners with budget tuners from stew-mac or lmii?

the best sounding budget guitar i know if is the yamaha FG700, followed by the yamaha F335, which lacks the FG700's solid top but still sounds surprisingly good. i've blind tested it against all the guitars in its price range, and my husband and a buddy who worked at guitar center chose the F335 against the rest.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
For some reason I seem to be locked into only looking at cut-away designs, don't know why. I guess you reach higher frets easier, is there any other reason for the shape?
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by SanDune65
For some reason I seem to be locked into only looking at cut-away designs, don't know why. I guess you reach higher frets easier, is there any other reason for the shape?

Nope, I don't think there is any other reason to own one. On the other hand I've seen people who could only play cowboy style who owned cutaways. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

One of the biggest benefits to my carbon fiber guitar...no heel where the neck and body meet. Don't need a cutaway to play high up the frets
Quote by patticake
can't you replace the tuners with budget tuners from stew-mac or lmii?

the best sounding budget guitar i know if is the yamaha FG700, followed by the yamaha F335, which lacks the FG700's solid top but still sounds surprisingly good. i've blind tested it against all the guitars in its price range, and my husband and a buddy who worked at guitar center chose the F335 against the rest.

I have absolutely 0 idea what I can do for the tuners, I'll actually take some pictures and post a thread later on
And for the cutaway... honestly... I hate cutaways. On acoustic at least, I think it makes the instrument look ugly, but that's just me. And I feel like nobody is really gonna be shredding solos up on the 15-20 on an acoustic, but I can't say for sure. I don't know, I've been playing Fahey/Kottke/Lang stuff for a while and never felt like I needed a cutaway instrument, and that's about the most complicated I'll ever get
I love my Ibanez Aw400ce, I got for $250usd. It is not parlor sized however. From what your looking at it may not be for you but I love it. Great guitar! Has decent electronics as well.

Don't let a low price cheapen a valuable tool. The best instrument out there is by far the one that you can afford and that can translate what your heart is wanting to say.

Rock on man hope you find a great guitar.
Hate to keep high jacking your thread Thom, but I'm about to pickup an Ibanez AEG10E for 150 at GC, seems to be a sweet little unit. Are there any red flags to look for in an acoustic? What is the difference in the two types of tuners on acoustics, like the roller type vs the standard?
Flying in a blue dream
As low as I've gone for an actual guitar is 200.... A Mitchell MD100. Surprisingly good-sounding but the pressed-in endpin jack fell out the first time I tried to pull a cable out.

However, I really like my little Yamaha GL-1 "guilele" Only 99 bucks and I play the thing daily--sits next to my armchair. I play jazz chords and have recently taken to using a Jazz II pick and playing it like a mandolin.
The 'roller-types' are for a classical style nylon string guitar. The 'normal ones' are for steel string. Same instrument principle but executed differently. Some guys love nylon (Willie Nelson for instance.) while others love the steel string. You want to find out more on the differences before you make a purchase. I recommend google or even youtube has some vids explaining the difference.
Quote by bass.desires
The 'roller-types' are for a classical style nylon string guitar. The 'normal ones' are for steel string. Same instrument principle but executed differently. Some guys love nylon (Willie Nelson for instance.) while others love the steel string. You want to find out more on the differences before you make a purchase. I recommend google or even youtube has some vids explaining the difference.

It's interesting how some fingerstyle players prefer steel vs nylon and vice versa. I greatly prefer steel for it's durability (nylon strings don't seem to last very long for me), but I also prefer the sharper tone of a steels string.

How about gut? Have you heard of guitar players that still use gut strings? I don't think I've ever seen a gut guitar string.
Quote by Tony Done
I think that some flamenco players still use gut strings. I can't recall all the arguments, but one is that they don't have that marked tonal difference you hear in nylon plain and wound strings.

I saw Pepe Martinez when I was at uni, he used gut strings.

Interesting. Thanks for the info Tony.

I do know of a guy who plays gut strings, but he plays medieval instruments (Rolf Lislevland, I think his name is). Sounds amazing, but that guy could string yarn over a steel bucket and make it sound good.
Last edited by TobusRex at May 12, 2016,
Quote by SanDune65
Hate to keep high jacking your thread Thom, but I'm about to pickup an Ibanez AEG10E for 150 at GC, seems to be a sweet little unit. Are there any red flags to look for in an acoustic? What is the difference in the two types of tuners on acoustics, like the roller type vs the standard?

Don't worry about hijacking, the guitar you mention is 150 which is the price limit I was aiming for this thread to be about. And a fair bit of what's being said will be helpful to a beginner on a budget which was the aim of this thread.
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ I've played a Yamaha 310, and thought it was great, but I must respectfully disagree with you on that series of Ibanez models. I've played a few, and my impression is that they are designed for amplification and looks, not for good acoustic tone.

I'm in agreement with your ibanez comment. They are pretty pretty guitars and the AEW4012 I had was stunning but it played horribly sounded like mud and generally put me off them as a whole. A shame really because I've not seen another guitar with the same style of cut away. Which stupidly I will admit was the main selling point for me on that guitar.
Quote by Tony Done
My Bourgeois has that same style cutaway, but in a Gibson style body:

As you can see, it is a 12-fret, and has to be heard to be believed. The experts tell me that the lower-bout-centered bridge location isn't largely responsible for its tone, but I'm not convinced.

Are they still made or would I need to buy used to get one? Like I can't express how much need that in my life absolutely immediately!!
It is the Martin Simpson Sig model, and he will still make it on custom order, AFAIK. Not cheap though.

I think I was lucky with this one, at least cosmetically. All the body timber is good from a technical viewpoint, and the top is quite possibly Engelmann rather than the sitka it is supposed to be.