Page 1 of 3
'El Chapo' Guzman: Sinaloa's saviour or sinner?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33898545

"El Chapo has helped lots of people so it would be good to have a monument or a chapel in his honour too," says Rodolfo, who maintains Malverde's chapel. "He is also a generous man."

The idea that El Chapo, the leader of one of the most powerful and violent drug cartels in the world, can be seen as a good guy is not uncommon here.

"There are parts of society that are proud," says Javier Valdez, a columnist on narco (drug dealer) culture for the weekly paper Rio Doce. "They talk of narcos as being awesome people, an idol or God or demi-God."

El Chapo is also seen as somebody who can offer more security to people than the government.

"He gives them work and money but more than that, he challenges the government, makes fun of the government, escapes from prison. He's a modern-day Robin Hood," says Mr Valdez.

But, he adds, it often means that El Chapo's darker side goes unacknowledged.

"People don't want to know anything about the kingpin they adore also being an assassin," he says. "They don't want to have anything to do with the painful side."

"El Chapo's the best," says Simona, who runs a restaurant in town. Her father used to cook for Rafael Caro Quintero, another of Badiraguato's famous drug-traffickers.

She is happy for what El Chapo has achieved in a poor part of Mexico where there are few job opportunities apart from agriculture. "Drugs traffickers are real men," she laughs.

"It's complicated but at the end of the day it generates jobs in the country, it moves money - and a lot of it," he says. "We don't want to face up to the fact that our economies to a large extent depend on that. Sadly that's how it is."

Turns out cartel appreciation is a thing.

Do you think drug cartels are a good thing or a bad thing?
There's a cartel way more dangerous than anything that could stem from drugs.

It's called the gubmint.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
bad.

everything said in that article is true but still reflects a more broadly bad reality. theres a bit of self awareness in that praise with how she calls the whole situation sad. there's not really any straight up praise going on.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at May 6, 2016,
when stalin died, people in gulags were crying after him

turns out the world isnt a hollywood action movie

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
They're good for some people, evidently.

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Yeah but he had AMAZING hair so who was really in the right there?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
i love drug cartels
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
fuck Chapo, the man can't even read

I wouldn't go as far as saying they're good but cartels are a natural byproduct of the way the west has set up their drug laws and as such I can't really be upset by them. the US was just as responsible for the rise of Pablo Escobar as Pablo Escobar
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Stalin 2016
Quote by JamSessionFreak

lol ok but what does this even mean vis-a-vis stalin or drug cartels?
Quote by TobusRex
It's capitalism.

Capitalism is bad.
If there is a God, it's me.
Quote by qrEE
Capitalism is bad.

Unfettered Capitalism is possibly the worst. Here in the USA there are libertarians pushing selling rivers, lakes, mountains, you name it. Imagine it...Coca Cola buys the Arkansas River and proceeds to start dumping thousands of tons of toxic waste in it with no regard to regulation or the water needs of the locals. Legal alternatives? None...Coke now owns the river and can do whatever it wants.
Last edited by TobusRex at May 6, 2016,
Quote by JamSessionFreak

This post is terrible
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by TobusRex
Unfettered Capitalism is possibly the worst.

from out here on commie island, it's hard to tell the difference.
Quote by TobusRex
It's capitalism.
Quote by qrEE
Capitalism is bad.

Fighting for the #broletariat
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Fighting for the #broletariat

at least I'm not part of the brogeoisie.
um excuse me it's the Elite cl#ass check yourself
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by neidnarb11890

both

as much shit as stalin caused it's not difficult for me to see why so many people still choose to parade his image to this day, or why a small portion of my country decided to take an oath under hitler and are now being glorified by a small but very dangerous minority. anyone who is certain that they don't practice the same shit is delusional.

this half-assed 'omg look at dumb people liking bad people hahah' shit is stupid and maybe if yanks left it behind for 5 seconds you wouldn't be half way through electing trump as president

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at May 6, 2016,
Quote by Dreadnought
This post is terrible

ye ye i know, i can make an outraged post about isis to make up for it if that's okay with you

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Banjocal
ass check yourself

I rest my c(ass)e.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
this half-assed 'omg look at dumb people liking bad people hahah' shit is stupid and maybe if yanks left it behind for 5 seconds you wouldn't be half way through electing trump as president

that was not why i started the thread commie jerk face
Quote by neidnarb11890

oh wut did he blow your mind, amerikkkan?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
build a wall

and then nuke them for good measure
I have nothing important to say
Quote by bradulator
that was not why i started the thread commie jerk face

i have no clue why you make any of your threads tbh

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
i have no clue why you make any of your threads tbh

i am not Soviet enough for your compassionate understanding
Quote by JamSessionFreak
both

as much shit as stalin caused it's not difficult for me to see why so many people still choose to parade his image to this day, or why a small portion of my country decided to take an oath under hitler and are now being glorified by a small but very dangerous minority. anyone who is certain that they don't practice the same shit is delusional.

National pride is the reason for such silliness. Stalin was a brutal dictator but Russia was also a great nation at the time. I'm sure patriotic Russians may look back to that era as a great one for Russia. It's somewhat bizarre that someone would parade his image in Slovenia though...I'd expect Tito or something like that.
not here lol, in russia

although his image was used a fair bit before 48

edit: nvm wrong video. cba finding it rn but his image was in some parade from 46.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at May 6, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
National pride is the reason for such silliness. Stalin was a brutal dictator but Russia was also a great nation at the time. I'm sure patriotic Russians may look back to that era as a great one for Russia. It's somewhat bizarre that someone would parade his image in Slovenia though...I'd expect Tito or something like that.

Ever notice how "great nation" is basically synonymous with "totalitarian nightmare"?

#makeamericagreatagain
Tobus, you do realize that free market policies would stop drug cartels, right? Like state marijuana legalization helping put them out of business? I'm sure you have to know this
Quote by qrEE
#makeamericadankagain

Your guitar tone doesn't fit the Wormed vocals, and you need to make the mixing/mastering meatier
Quote by JamSessionFreak
both

haha ok this really doesn't address my question thanks though
1.Wormed? They do gurgles, I do more traditional "growls" like the kind you'd hear from mid-90s Death Metal. I mean I occasionally, but only rarely, do a mini "gurgle" bit on that album so I don't know where you're getting Wormed from. Maybe you listened to the first track that the bandcamp displays and didn't make it to the verses, but definitely not Wormed style vocals, especially not over the course of the album which does at least 3 or 4 other styles in addition to the traditional growls.

2.I love the guitar tone, mixing, and mastering on the album. I personally don't care for "meaty" mixes most of the time. For reference, listen to Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity - that's the kind of mix/master I prefer. Thin, natural, and most importantly, *clear*.

I appreciate the input but I like how our album turned out. For me the weakest part was the lyrics, which I've been working thoroughly on improving since that album (keep in mind I wrote the lyrics for that album when I was 15).
Good job, keep improving.

I didn't get DEP from that, but good benchmark to shoot for. Need to use Superior 2.0 or something for the drums; too 'tinny'. Songwriting sounded alright though up to the point I got to.
Like I said, it's all natural, except the bass drum which we had no option of doing a natural bass drum at the time. I prefer a natural kit that sounds bad over using samples, because with a natural kit it's a real thing. I want it to feel real. If anything, it just needed better EQing for a thicker tone, but like I said, I'm not personally after a thick tone, I'm after something that sounds real. I want it to sound like a band performing the music, rather than a bunch of studio tricks. So the less samples the better.

The stuff I'm actually working on right now is this -

https://ellierose94.bandcamp.com/album/grief

much different musically, and this is self-produced, using superior (which I hate to use but not a lot of drummers around in my area to play this shit so I'll use what I got). This is the stuff I could use production advice on, but it wouldn't change much because this is all I can afford to make right now, I don't have the equipment to make something sounding better, which is why this is a demo. When I find a full band and get signed or find a nice producer, I'll re-do this as an album. But I'll keep any advice in for when an opportunity to re-record this arises.
Page 1 of 3