http://i1.wp.com/www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cube-chart.jpg
The type of music I want to play is rock/grunge (Foo Fighters, Nirvana, The Germs etc.) and I'm either getting the Roland Cube 20GX or 40GX. The 40GX doesnt have distortion, overdrive or metal which is kinda important for the type of music I play, but it has more features than the 20GX so I'm not sure which one I should get. Any help would be helpful cheers, Anthony
I think to get good distorted tones you'll need to use a pedal with either of those amps. If you really want to sound like those bands you'll need a tube amp.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by 8Len8
I think to get good distorted tones you'll need to use a pedal with either of those amps. If you really want to sound like those bands you'll need a tube amp.

I only have $300 to spend and am not gonna buy and pedals yet. Don't necessarily want to sound exactly like them, but close enough with the options I have stated above.
Last edited by thesanchez101 at May 7, 2016,
Dude, there is distortion on 40gx. Maybe the name of specific channels isnt overdrive or distortion, but it doesnt matter. There are lots of channels on it and they are modeled after some famous sounds and amps, some of them are clean and some are distorted. So dont worry, you actually have a lot more options with gx40.
Go Orange or go home, bruh. Vox or Orange are great for grungy distortion, and Orange has pretty nice cheap options. I'm not familiar with the GX series, but if you're not totally set on one of those, might I reccomend a used Tiny Terror?
Custom-Built Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Orange Rockerverb 50 Combo
Quote by thesanchez101
I only have $300 to spend and am not gonna buy and pedals yet. Don't necessarily want to sound exactly like them, but close enough with the options I have stated above.

I like the Roland Cube and own a Micro but for Nirvana?? Meh, I be wanting some tubes. Buy a used Vox AC15, Tiny Terror, Super Champ, or Laney Cub and get in that tube crunch that defines grunge.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Mayge
Go Orange or go home, bruh. Vox or Orange are great for grungy distortion, and Orange has pretty nice cheap options. I'm not familiar with the GX series, but if you're not totally set on one of those, might I reccomend a used Tiny Terror?

I just got a Vox, I've always wanted an Orange though. Saving for an OR15.

Am I crazy for wanting a Thunderverb 50?