Page 1 of 5
You might have seen me begging for responses here already in some other threads but to whore out the attention even more i'm making a dedicated thread.

It will only take a minute or less to answer and the research is going towards an academic study so its not just for shits and giggles m8.

I'm after player feedback on storytelling in video games. You don't care about stories? Then let me know about it so your opinion can be turned into a stat that matters!

https://eSurv.org?s=LBLDLI_1ef65b39
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Done and a good story with mediocre gameplay >>>>>>>> a bad story with good gameplay
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
Done and a good story with mediocre gameplay >>>>>>>> a bad story with good gameplay

bullshit if I wanted a good story with bad gameplay i would just watch a movie ffs

video games don't even need a significant story like Tecmo Super Bowl
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Done.

I hope this is the first step in sorting out the amount of awful writers in gaming. I'm looking at you, Bethesda! (and about 75% of well known companies)
I have nothing important to say
Quote by theogonia777
bullshit if I wanted a good story with bad gameplay i would just watch a movie ffs
This is a shallow comparison between two totally different mediums and I disagree with it :3

Also I used the word mediocre, not bad.
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at May 7, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal at #33959905

Disagree

Gameplay is much more important than story
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Disagree

Gameplay is much more important than story
That's nice.

To be clear I'm talking less about Tetris-style games and more games that grudgingly tack a story on because having a VR-room shooter isn't quite enough to appeal to the plebs, though.
ha-haaa
It's a fucking game. It's about the 'game'play.

If I wanted a fucking story I'll read a damn book
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Depends on the game.

Call of duty doesn't need a story but mass effect would be nothing without the story.

In general I'm more pro story, it almost always enhances the game.
Even in a sports game like nba2k the story for you're career mode makes it better.

As far as movies being a superior format for storytelling that's not going to last much longer even if it's currently true.

Video game storytelling is getting really really good. I can't wait for Uncharted
Quote by Banjocal

Have you considered that the two may be related? In that what the gameplay incorporates should grow out of the story's themes?

I'd frankly make sure my games followed that rule to the T. Very few games actually do this, though. Storytelling through games should be better.
I've never played a game just for its story, but I've played and enjoyed many games with no story at all.

I think in a lot of games, the story and gameplay are at odds with each other, as if they were designed separately. Also, if either of the two parts are shitty, it weakens the experience as a whole, which is why I would prefer no story to a bad one.
Last edited by sashki at May 7, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Have you considered that the two may be related? In that what the gameplay incorporates should grow out of the story's themes?
That's why I said "mediocre" rather than "bad".
ha-haaa
Story is my driving force for playing games. I'll play a game with average gameplay for a long time if it's got a great story and atmosphere. If a game has great gameplay but the story can't drag me in then I won't play it.
I've never cared too much for story in games.
Most of the games I do play, I do so for different reasons.
Examples from a few recent games/games I currently have installed: Souls for the fantastic combat and super cool area/enemy/boss design and the PVP, Fallout for the big openness and cool sidequests and little tiny lore-pieces you'll randomly stumble across, the Batman Arkham games for the combat and cool setpieces and stuff, HITMAN for the satisfying stealth/assassination gameplay, etc.

Very few games I will play for the story.
Survey questions were abit weird but I did it anyway so

I could get into a whole discussion about story in videogames and shit but it's probably better done in the gaming thread.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by institutions at #33959968
I've never cared too much for story in games.
Most of the games I do play, I do so for different reasons.
Examples from a few recent games/games I currently have installed: Souls for the fantastic combat and super cool area/enemy/boss design and the PVP, Fallout for the big openness and cool sidequests and little tiny lore-pieces you'll randomly stumble across, the Batman Arkham games for the combat and cool setpieces and stuff, HITMAN for the satisfying stealth/assassination gameplay, etc.

Very few games I will play for the story.

The new Hitman is
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JackSaints
Done.

I hope this is the first step in sorting out the amount of awful writers in gaming. I'm looking at you, Bethesda! (and about 75% of well known companies)

Dude have you played fallout 4? The story is kickass in that game.
Quote by FunkyPunk666
Dude have you played fallout 4? The story is kickass in that game.

please be trolling

PLEASE
Mad Max game was an example of something with such gameplay that beat the MEH story. I still boot it up sometimes and just drive around in first person

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Bethesda has good lore but bad story
I was gounna say that the lore is thanks to the original writers but actually yeah they're actually pretty strong with storytelling through locations, etc. they need to make more assets for locations tho
ha-haaa
Witcher 3 does environmental storytelling at least as good as Bethesda now though so they really need a new "thing" to do
Was wondering how long it'd be until you brought Witcher 3 up
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Witcher 3 does environmental storytelling at least as good as Bethesda now though so they really need a new "thing" to do

And even the side quests in witcher 3 have better stories/writing than anything in Fallout 4
Rapture can't come if he doesn't say "The Witcher" at least twice a day.
ha-haaa
Quote by Trowzaa
Was wondering how long it'd be until you brought Witcher 3 up

It is one of the games with the best stories ever
It really depends on the game for me. If it's a game with a good story and average or mediocre gameplay I'll at least beat the game, but it won't have much replay value for me. Even games with great stories and great gameplay I won't get much replay value out of if it's a primarily story driven game. I might go back and play through it every once in a while, but I won't sink tons of hours into it. I'm thinking of games like Half Life, Penumbra, Metro 2033 and Last Light, Amnesia the Dark Descent, Portal, Far Cry, etc. I love those games and some of those have excellent gameplay, but there's only so many times I can play through a story driven game.

If it's a game with great gameplay and a weak, non existent, or very little story (gameplay focused games) then I'll tend to dump more time into them and get more enjoyment out of, especially if there are achievements or things to unlock. For example, I've got 289 hours in Terraria (100% achievements) 440 hours in the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (100%) and I've been playing Minecraft on and off since the Alpha days (so like 6 years) with who knows how many hundreds or maybe even thousands of hours.

I don't know where Skyrim fits into this. I guess it's a story driven game, but more of a story in the sense of you're playing as a character who's exploring a vast land with tons of side stories and lore and you can choose how to play it. It's the only game that could be considered story driven that I put lots of hours into (286), but it's not a linear type of story and it's so huge. *edit: I guess it's not so much a story as getting immersed in a world*

So yea, to me gameplay is most important as far as how much play time I can get out of a game, but I enjoy good story based games as well, I just won't play them as much.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at May 7, 2016,
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Survey questions were abit weird but I did it anyway so

I could get into a whole discussion about story in videogames and shit but it's probably better done in the gaming thread.

Thanks, what about the questions were weird?

The feedback is useful as I will be discussing the weaknesses of the survey in the report so please point out any strangeness
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I feel kind of bad because 90% of the games you mentioned I've replayed shit tons of times

I must be a boring fucker
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
I feel kind of bad because 90% of the games you mentioned I've replayed shit tons of times

I must be a boring fucker

Referring to the ones I listed like half life and metro and such? I've played through some of them multiple times, but I personally can't just play through them over and over again. Like I'll play through one and then not touch it for 6 months to a year or more, play through it again, etc. Like even with Half Life 2, which I've played through several times and got all the achievements, I've only got 47 hours in it, which is a decent amount, but nothing compared to less story driven games.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Syrim is 100% a story driven game even if the story is shit

I think Skyrim is a "holy shit I've got so many quests in my quest log and it still keeps growing" driven game

I had gone legendary multiple times on so many skill trees and made a set of Forsworn armor that was super OP and crazy weapons I'd crafted that made the hardest difficulty relatively easy before I even got around to completing the main story line lol
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Referring to the ones I listed like half life and metro and such? I've played through some of them multiple times, but I personally can't just play through them over and over again. Like I'll play through one and then not touch it for 6 months to a year or more, play through it again, etc. Like even with Half Life 2, which I've played through several times and got all the achievements, I've only got 47 hours in it, which is a decent amount, but nothing compared to less story driven games.
I know what you mean yeah. IDK I just have much fonder memories of those games. Games like Spec Ops, Amnesia etc engage with me in a way which gives me fond memories even if I don't play them as much as Binding of Isaac (though the religious aspect to that game is interesting and isn't given nearly enough credit).

Skyrim was a mediocre FPS and a terrible RPG with awful mapscaling and the best thing about it is that the Imperials are, despite their awful benefactors, the best long-term choice.
ha-haaa
Quote by EndTheRapture51 at #33960066
Syrim is 100% a story driven game even if the story is shit

I don't think it's a story driven game, it's more of an exploration driven game.
Explore this way, find a sidequest, find some more interesting locations and sidequests on the way to complete the first sidequest, repeat until you run out of quests/locations to check out/
all forms of art are created with the intent of telling a story. gameplay is merely the vessel by which video gaming aims to achieve that

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Shit story, good gameplay = game isn't getting finished
Good story, shit gameplay = game gets finished, but bitched about

And yea, the story in Skyrim is shit. It didn't get finished.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Banjocal
Games like Spec Ops

Spec Ops: The Line is haunting. I finished it in a day at a friend's house when I was hungover and there are so many scenes stuck with me so far. It legit gave me most of my perspective on game storytelling (for better or worse).
Page 1 of 5