Poll: Best guitar under 14k INR or $210 ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best guitar under 14k INR or $210 ?
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
5 42%
Schecter SGR Solo II
0 0%
Schecter SGR C-1
7 58%
Voters: 12.
I've been playing guitar for about an year and a half now. I started out with an acoustic guitar and I'm looking forward to buying my first electric guitar by the end of this month. My overall budget is 22k INR that's roughly about $330. And I know that is tight. I'm more into the classic rock era of Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and sorts. I've short listed 3 guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Special II , Schecter SGR Solo II or Schecter SGR C-1(All of them in under 14k INR or $210). So firstly, which one do you think would be best for classic rock playing? For an amp I'm going for Marshall MG10CF(5k INR or $75). And secondly, I'll mostly be using Reverb, Delay or Distortion effects for now. Do you think I should go for a guitar multi-effects processor or should I go with a Distortion pedal to start with and then later on buy the pedals I need? The processor will be over my budget though. Moreover which pedal would be better for classic rock: Behringer TO100 Tube Overdrive(2250 INR or $36) or Boss DS-1(A little overbudget but manageable) ?
Okay, first things first, I would NOT get a Marshall MG, they are pretty bad amps and the tone will not please you at all.
I found these two modelling amps on a Indian guitar website, they are more expensive than the MG but totally worth it, they also come with lots of effects build in to play around with, so you won't need pedals straight away.

I also found this Peavey Vypyr 15, but it is out of stock at the moment.
http://www.bajaao.com/collections/guitar-amplifiers/products/peavey-vypyr-15-15w-1x8-guitar-combo-modeling-amplifier

I have the 30watt version, these are great amps, again they are loaded with loads of effects and different amp models.

With the guitars I would reccomend playing as many as you can and buying one that feels the best to you, although out of what you listed, I would reccomend the Les Paul, but save up a bit more and get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, they are much better than the specials.

Fender Mustang 1 12300 INR
http://www.guitarstore.in/products/699-fender-mustang-1.aspx
Blackstar ID Core 20
http://www.guitarstore.in/products/1507-blackstar-id-core-20w.aspx

Maybe others with more experience with these 2 amps can chime in on which is better, but I played around on a Blackstar ID TVP thing and it sounded much better than any MG I have played.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I voted for the SGR since I don't know whats available in your area. I would also recommend the fender mustang amp for your price point. I would think a squier tele might do well for you too. Most of the early Zepplin is done on one and they got a nice bite to them. You would be surprised at how well they cover most of what you listed and they are simple guitars that are easy to maintain.
The mustang amp does have some effects built in so hold off on any pedals till you play your rig a while and find a need for one.
Fender Mustang Ii Amp 40 Watts 200 Dollars Lots Of Effects And Can Hook Up To Computer Has Free Abelton
for what you want to play i'd try to find a vox vt20 used for cheap. a vypyr 15 would be good too i just prefer the vox vt for classic rock. they are both good sounding "cheap" amps.

no idea on those guitars, maybe try to find a used epiphone LP that isn't a bolt on neck.
A used Epi Std or maybe a used Gibson LPJ or SGJ. Definitely stay away from the bolt on Epis, they're toys. A Fender Mustang I would give you something to play through for now.
Moving on.....
As many of you suggested I think i'll go for a used fender mustang.. It'll fit in my budget too.. Any suggestions for the guitar ?
I'm more of a les paul style fan.. Although i'm willing to give it a pass for better tech specs.. I've played a schecter before nd it had a bit more punch to it... Suitable for leads... Bt not so sure as I've only played a yamaha RGX nd schecter SGR before.. The schecter felt bttr playability wise.. Mayb because of the neck shape on the schecter..
I played my cheap (and now heavily self-modified) Yamaha 700S acoustic (rabidly) for a little under a year, and when I wanted to add an electric to my collection the one I found myself most enraptured with was the Epiphone SG G-400 Pro. I got it for around 300 bucks by price matching it at my local Sam Ash, I highly recommend it.
Quote by NickMarrone77
I played my cheap (and now heavily self-modified) Yamaha 700S acoustic (rabidly) for a little under a year, and when I wanted to add an electric to my collection the one I found myself most enraptured with was the Epiphone SG G-400 Pro. I got it for around 300 bucks by price matching it at my local Sam Ash, I highly recommend it.

Epiphone SG-400, Les Paul Standard, DOT are all great first electrics.

I have a Les Paul Custom Pro and I think it is amazing for the price.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
My cousin has a Les Paul Special II, the "Special" series Epiphones are literally for absolute beginners, they'll suffice for maybe a year but then the hardware is gonna start failing on you. I'd opt for an SG G-400 or any other variety of Les Paul aside from the special you'll get a better quality instrument overall.

Also as opposed to your choice of amp. I'd also recommend the "ID: Core" series amps from Blackstar.

I have the 10 watt version but, if you can spring for the 20W I'd do that. Plenty of built in effects and a decent sounding amp for the money. $99 for the 10 watt version is an absolute steal for a practice amp.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at May 8, 2016,
If you like the Les Paul, it would be around $250-300 (maybe less), but the Epiphone Les Paul Studio might be worth a shot, epecially if you can find it used. If not, either Schecter would be a better option than the LP Special.

For amps, Vypyr for a modeling or the Blackstar ID units.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I think I'll go for the Schecter SGR C-1 nd a Fender Mustang.. Bt the C-1 has a scale length of 25.5".. I'm used to playing 24.75" on my acoustic.. Do you think it'll be an issue playability wise ?
Like will I face any wrist pain or anything like that ?
Might be a slight difference, but judging by people that have both, I kinda doubt it's a big deal. All mine at home are 25.5" scale and lately I've been messing with LPs and really dont notice the scale length.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer