https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSwYXSUek9k

That is a video I recently made. It sounds like crud. I guess I need EMG pickups. I use line 6 UX1 with pod farm. The guitar is a jackson dx7 with duncan designed pickups which sound like mud. I use manycam recording software that allows you to mix the system audio in different channels.

The line 6 pod just isn't loud enough, its always pretty quiet, I dont know if I need to buy a DJ channel mixer to try and make my dry guitar line louder ? Either way I need a pro youtube studio set up, It is very competitive on youtube, and only the best production quality is acceptable.

any help or ideas on what I should be using/ doing?
How exactly do you want to record your stuff? Are trying to just add your guitar part over the original recording? If so, you have most of what it takes to make it sound nice.

Do you use any DAW or something similar for messing with audio? For setting volume of the tracks you dont need any hardware. It can all be done on your pc. Practice getting good sounds from POD and then record your part over the original track which you will import into your DAW. When you're satisfied with the result, just export the song. Record a video of you playing it and just put the previously exported recording on it and mute sound from the camera. That's the simplest way you can do it with gear that you already have and make it sound decent. Also, some better lighting would be nice.
I use the Pod HD Pro X with the Torpedo Cab. On my unit I can adjust the track volume and overall master volume. Get some Monitors and it'll be loud enough man.
Get a decent film camera or use a phone with 4k recording possibilities.
Have some kind of directional light so that you can be clearly seen and without the dark noise.
Get a DAW and a external soundcard for low latency.
Buy or "find" Amplitube 3 and read up on Impulse response cabs.

glhf!
I don't think you need more gear.

What you need is to clean up your playing. Recording is brutally honest.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I don't think you need more gear.

What you need is to clean up your playing. Recording is brutally honest.

+1
Quote by JackovSlayer
How exactly do you want to record your stuff? Are trying to just add your guitar part over the original recording? If so, you have most of what it takes to make it sound nice.

Do you use any DAW or something similar for messing with audio?

I use many cam and record live with many cam. in pic it shows it has system channels for my computers audio.
the guitar signal in general is always too quiet in pod farm. But trying to get a real modern metal tone, even though that song is 15 years old is hard? I know i need EMGs for that particular song anything lower than Eb turning really.
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Quote by 094568029434geo
I use many cam and record live with many cam. in pic it shows it has system channels for my computers audio.
the guitar signal in general is always too quiet in pod farm. But trying to get a real modern metal tone, even though that song is 15 years old is hard? I know i need EMGs for that particular song anything lower than Eb turning really.

Dude, i tell ya - get a daw. And then you can mix audio in any way you want. You can get a better tone in the post processing too. And you dont need emgs. If you want to get better pickups there are lots of other options too, although emgs could get the job done easily. Its actually all a matter of individual preference. Also, quality of the sound will be better if you use a mix exported from daw (in the way that i described earlier) than if you record sound with camera.
There is so much distortion I can't tell one note from another. The recording is not the problem. Your pickups are not the problem. You have so much distortion and effects, it sounds like a swarm of bees and I can't pick out any of the notes you are playing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 10, 2016,
Quote by JackovSlayer
Dude, i tell ya - get a daw. And then you can mix audio in any way you want. You can get a better tone in the post processing too. And you dont need emgs. If you want to get better pickups there are lots of other options too, although emgs could get the job done easily. Its actually all a matter of individual preference. Also, quality of the sound will be better if you use a mix exported from daw (in the way that i described earlier) than if you record sound with camera.

Like he said, use a DAW. Audacity is free and pretty simple to use, but is very barebones. Reaper is really cheap and is a full DAW. Either is good to start out with. Getting different pickups will not magically morph your tone into what you want. EMGs in particular are very high output, and will react to amps and overdrive differently than other pickups. Also, getting a good tone in POD Farm, or any amp sim/amp, takes time. Keep playing with it and you'll ways to get tones you like. It's an experience thing.
Quote by JackovSlayer
Dude, i tell ya - get a daw. And then you can mix audio in any way you want. You can get a better tone in the post processing too.

I wanted to record everything live in one take, the video and the audio and not have to post anything. Maybe just colour grade it a bit. I have generally found that EMGs are the only thing that sound good if you tune lower than D standard or if you play fast. But Like I said I just want that pro metal tone, nothing else, I want to sound like pro extreme metal really, so i dont know if i have no choice but to mixer and a real stack and mic it up?
Quote by 094568029434geo
I wanted to record everything live in one take, the video and the audio and not have to post anything. Maybe just colour grade it a bit. I have generally found that EMGs are the only thing that sound good if you tune lower than D standard or if you play fast. But Like I said I just want that pro metal tone, nothing else, I want to sound like pro extreme metal really, so i dont know if i have no choice but to mixer and a real stack and mic it up?

Mixer is not a must have for this. You can use a virtual mixer in a daw to set volume of recorded guitar and original track . In your case, more hardware is not the first thing you should get. First thing you should do is start using real audio uplodaded straight from your pc. Not recording it with camera mic. And lots of other pickups can work for low tunings. Take a look at what other guys are using.
Quote by 094568029434geo

OK, so there are a few things here to keep in mind with doing this:

1) You need the best sounding signal HITTING your video recording software. The POD will not do this for you based on what I just heard and what you've described. Short of going out and buying an Axe-FX or Kemper, no lower-end emulator will give you the high-end sheen you need. Even just putting a mic infront of a good amp/cab combo won't do it.

2) It must take you HOURS to get the 1 good take you have. Watching that video, you need to really tighten your playing up.

3) Ever watch anything by Fluff, Dines, Ola Englund or Scallon? They don't do 1 and done recordings... they actually take the time to multi-track, edit video, properly mix a song, etc. These are the people you are competing with, and to be frank, you can't do that the way you want to. Sorry to sound like a prick, but that's the reality.

You acknowledge that Youtube music is competitive... Yes. It is, and what you are wanting to do is counter productive to what you want to do, which is be competitive

If you want to 1 track and done, get an Axe-Fx/Kemper/Torpedo Live and an interface and go to town. Dial in your tone as needed.

If you want to compete with already established channels, you've gotta knuckle down and learn to mix, multi-track (because, honestly, the above video lacks any impact on the guitars due to mixing/tone/tracking), edit video, and most importantly, be good at what you are playing.

If you want a hint as to what some of these guys are doing (and trust me, they all do it) Ola actually has a video explaining how he makes his videos, and it's quite well explained.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Last edited by the chemist at May 15, 2016,
Quote by the chemist
OK, so there are a few things here to keep in mind with doing this:

1) You need the best sounding signal HITTING your video recording software. The POD will not do this for you based on what I just heard and what you've described. Short of going out and buying an Axe-FX or Kemper, no lower-end emulator will give you the high-end sheen you need. Even just putting a mic infront of a good amp/cab combo won't do it.

2) It must take you HOURS to get the 1 good take you have. Watching that video, you need to really tighten your playing up.

3) Ever watch anything by Fluff, Dines, Ola Englund or Scallon? They don't do 1 and done recordings... they actually take the time to multi-track, edit video, properly mix a song, etc. These are the people you are competing with, and to be frank, you can't do that the way you want to. Sorry to sound like a prick, but that's the reality.

You acknowledge that Youtube music is competitive... Yes. It is, and what you are wanting to do is counter productive to what you want to do, which is be competitive

If you want to 1 track and done, get an Axe-Fx/Kemper/Torpedo Live and an interface and go to town. Dial in your tone as needed.

If you want to compete with already established channels, you've gotta knuckle down and learn to mix, multi-track (because, honestly, the above video lacks any impact on the guitars due to mixing/tone/tracking), edit video, and most importantly, be good at what you are playing.

If you want a hint as to what some of these guys are doing (and trust me, they all do it) Ola actually has a video explaining how he makes his videos, and it's quite well explained.

+1
Quote by 094568029434geo

Not true at all, pickups are personal preference .
I play in Drop A and would never put EMG's in my guitars.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab