Hi guys, I got this sweet vintage Univox from 69-72 era, MIJ, and in the 330 hollowbody style. I upgraded the dead pickups with some P90's and it sounds good, stays in tune, but the old whammy bar system doesnt work well with tuning. I raised the metal screw so it was tighter, and tightened all other screws but I'm not sure what to do. I can push it down pretty hard and it stays in tune pretty well, but if I pull back on the whammy, it does not return to the same position and goes out of tune. It seems ok since I can push it back down and then it returns to position, but pulling up, the spring does not return to the same spot and tuning is wack.

Any tips, suggestions? I want to keep this whammy, but can I maybe get a stronger tighter spring or something?

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)
thanks sorry I couldnt post shere I intended for some reason you have to be a regular to join, but its all good. any advice? its an old style bigsby style arm and there must be a way to fix it unless you think

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)
Last edited by twitcherzx1 at May 9, 2016,
It's not really meant to be pulled up Like any Bigsby-style setup really its job is subtle vibrato and beyond that role it can't really be expected to keep tuning (indeed pulling up on an actual Bigsby is best suited to those who enjoy chasing springs across the floor). That said, lubricating the bridge saddles and nut slots could make it a bit more consistent.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 9, 2016,
Yeah I wouldn't recommend pulling up on that thing. Sweet looking guitar though from what I could see!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Sweet looking guitar though from what I could see!

+1

I'll happily take it off your hands if you're not happy with the vibrato
Quote by K33nbl4d3
It's not really meant to be pulled up Like any Bigsby-style setup really its job is subtle vibrato and beyond that role it can't really be expected to keep tuning (indeed pulling up on an actual Bigsby is best suited to those who enjoy chasing springs across the floor). That said, lubricating the bridge saddles and nut slots could make it a bit more consistent.

+1 Bigsby style vibrato's or any coil spring varient are not meant for dive bombing or pulls, they are meant to be dive only (but not too much) or just a wiggle to create a subtle waivering, anything beyond that and tuning will become an issue.

For acrobatics such as diving until the strings are flopping or screeching pulls while retaining tuning stability a double locking Floyd Rose or Kahler is what you need.

That Vox is a beauty, If I were you I reduce that spring tension a bit and try using the bar sparingly, adjust until you can use it in this fashion and retain tuning. Listen to some Rockabilly or instrumental surf for some examples of how these were meant to be used.

You can dive bomb if you wish, just be sure it is the end of the song so you can retune afterword

Whatever you do don't pull up or you'll run the risk of putting someone's eye out!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Hello -- I've got a 1960 Univox Custom (in green, not that that matters) -- two single-coils, floating bridge, Bigsby-style vibrato. The three-position switch is failing, and I've got my suspicions about the bridge pickup, though I want to replace the switch first. In the event I can't find a stock switch, can anyone suggest a suitable replacement? It's a knife switch -- would a Tele switch serve?