Page 1 of 2
I am going to try out pedals to see if I can get a nasty and heavy rhythm sound. If I cannot, I will be looking to probably get a Triple Rectifier or Bogner Uberschall. I need help to find the best pedal for a brutal and manly rhythm sound.

I have looked at the Bogner Uberschall pedal and Mesa Boogie Throttle EQ. I like the Bogner Uberschall pedal more. Here is a good video of the Uberschall pedal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUc0JtP74-o

I sent an email to the maker of that video to ask which amp he used. He used a Bogner Uberschall amp before on another video. He said that the pedal matches the amp "faithfully."

The Throttle EQ does not sound that great, except on this video: (Invalid img).

My question is what pedals should I be looking at? I only need a rough and throaty rhythm sound for power chords. I like my JCM900's distortion for solos.
Quote by diabolical
EMMA pisdiYAUwot

Definitely a good pedal; on my G.A.S. list.

Also look at the Empress Heavy.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Bogner pedals are realy good. Got the blue one, and the black one. They do the job very well for heavy rythem
I have the Throttle Box and even though mine is the more simple version without the EQ, it sounds really convincing, not far from the "real thing".
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
What is you current amp/cab setup? Still that JCM900 combo in your sig? If that's the case I'd say go for the Bogner, but imo I'd start saving up to get that Uberschall head. I love my Bogner, one of the best gear decisions I ever made.

Alos, do you run your EQ for lead specifically on that 900? The amp should be able to easily get a chunky ass rhythm tone without help. Maybe give a couple boosts (like the xotic EP boost) a try before the distortion pedals.

Good luck man.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by diabolical
Look up Wampler Triple Wreck and EMMA pisdiYAUwot, Mesa V-Twin used.

Those sound pretty good, but they do not get the exact sound I want.
Quote by Butthead
What is you current amp/cab setup? Still that JCM900 combo in your sig? If that's the case I'd say go for the Bogner, but imo I'd start saving up to get that Uberschall head. I love my Bogner, one of the best gear decisions I ever made.

Alos, do you run your EQ for lead specifically on that 900? The amp should be able to easily get a chunky ass rhythm tone without help. Maybe give a couple boosts (like the xotic EP boost) a try before the distortion pedals.

Good luck man.

I will check it out. The JCM900 does not have the strong bottom end that the Triple Rectifier has. I watched a video that had the uberschall beat the triple rectifier. I cannot find it.

I did not think about eq. It is an interesting idea. Thanks.
The Okko Dominator- Red or Black version (they are different)- might also be worth considering.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I don't know if this is anything like you're looking for, but check out the Red Muck by Jam pedals, it's expensive, but has the most beastly tone I've heard. I really like the MXR Super Badass Distortion, as it a very versatile gain control, and a good EQ section, so maybe check that out, if you haven't already.
Also, if bottom end is something you're looking for, try running that amp through a 2x12 or 4x12. I bet that will help a bunch.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
i don't know how rectifier-y you will get from a JCM900. just very different. if anything i would get a boost and throw an EQ in the loop.

fuck, for the cost of a $300 pedal and the money from selling the JCM900, you could likely pickup a rectoverb. or at least not too far off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like my JCM900. I will not sell it.

I record straight from my preamp into my Scarlett Solo and computer. Speakers are not on the table at all.
Quote by NostraHistoria
I like my JCM900. I will not sell it.

I record straight from my preamp into my Scarlett Solo and computer. Speakers are not on the table at all.

To be clear, you're going Direct Out from the 900 into your interface, correct? Are you using cab/poweramp emulators on your computer?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yes. I never used any emulators. Do you recommend them?
If you're not miking a cab then you'd have to use a cab simulator, look up the freeware Kalthalen impulse responses
http://cabs.kalthallen.de/kalthallen_free.html

and NadIR software
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/11/23/ignite-amps-nadir/

to get you started.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Definitely a good pedal; on my G.A.S. list.

Also look at the Empress Heavy.

I finally had some time to look up the Empress Heavy. Wow. I never saw so many dials on a pedal.
How did I miss this one?

If by nasty you mean actually nasty, and rough, gritty, etc. then the DOD Boneshaker. The 3-band Parametric EQ can get you places. Has fuzz tendencies especially with a neck pup setting.
The Boneshaker is nice. In a nasty way. Pretty to look at, too.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXUrSuTHbko

Now, I have too many options to choose from.
Quote by NostraHistoria
Speakers are not on the table at all.

Good. They should be in the cabinet.
Quote by NostraHistoria
I finally had some time to look up the Empress Heavy. Wow. I never saw so many dials on a pedal.

On the other hand, the Heavy will lighten your wallet considerably, balancing the scales of life.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Reminds me of Krista Allen.

This woman can cripple you.

Quote by diabolical
Wampler nails the recto tone to the T. I am actually thinking of unloading my Mesa Mini recto after hearing that pedal...the moment will probably pass but it is there

me too on the Wampler triple wreck , was going to sell my Carvin V3m since I'm playing my Dual Recto lately , but might just match the Wampler to the Carvin V3m on small shows I don't need 100 watts , heavy rig or need a back up if the DR ever fails at a show
Until you add a cabinet impulse I'm guessing anything you run will sound like crap. Fix the impulse or lack of a virtual cabinet and then come back and see what you need then.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I got the Boneshaker a few months ago, but returned it within the seller´s return policy. It DOES sound good, I mean, it CAN sound pretty mean, but there isn´t as much gain as appears to be, according to some YouTube videos. I had to dime both the "Distortion" and "Depth" pots to make it really sound at least somewhat "high-gain". So if you really are looking for "ultimate & nasty", the Boneshaker might not do it for you. The tone shaping options of its EQ section are top notch and I can imagine it to be a great pedal for early Soundgarden-like distortion, Sabbath-like dirt or current stoner rock filth, but not for the heaviest power chords & stuff.... Just for comparison: the Mesa Throttle Box that I got in exchange (and kept it) can do an equal amount of distortion somewhere around 11-12 o clock on its gain pot....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at May 17, 2016,
I know it isn't as nasty as some of the others, so it may not be up to the requirements of the original request, but its still a good pedal.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I know it isn't as nasty as some of the others, so it may not be up to the requirements of the original request, but its still a good pedal.

Yes it is, I agree. If you don´t need real high gain, it IS one of the best sounding filth boxes on the market. If I had a limitless budget and space in my pedal board in that time, I would have kept it....
Last edited by Airfish at May 17, 2016,
I find for the heaviest of all chords, using a tube based overdrive with a solid state overdrive pedal run in parallel put into both inputs of the amp sounds best.
My ultimate power combo used to be a Boss Dual Overdrive paired with a Blackstar HT-Dual but now I've replaced the Dual Overdrive with a Boss GL-100 Guitar Driver(Rackmount preamp).
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Airfish
I got the Boneshaker a few months ago, but returned it within the seller´s return policy. It DOES sound good, I mean, it CAN sound pretty mean, but there isn´t as much gain as appears to be, according to some YouTube videos. I had to dime both the "Distortion" and "Depth" pots to make it really sound at least somewhat "high-gain". So if you really are looking for "ultimate & nasty", the Boneshaker might not do it for you. The tone shaping options of its EQ section are top notch and I can imagine it to be a great pedal for early Soundgarden-like distortion, Sabbath-like dirt or current stoner rock filth, but not for the heaviest power chords & stuff.... Just for comparison: the Mesa Throttle Box that I got in exchange (and kept it) can do an equal amount of distortion somewhere around 11-12 o clock on its gain pot....
Which is funny, for me I can't even tame the gain. I keep it at minimum and it is almost too much for me. To be safe, I would think that if you are on an already dirty-ish channel you should have plenty of gain on tap with the boneshaker added. I run it with a few other preamp gain stages on (all light gain though) so.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 17, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Which is funny, for me I can't even tame the gain. I keep it at minimum and it is almost too much for me. To be safe, I would think that if you are on an already dirty-ish channel you should have plenty of gain on tap with the boneshaker added. I run it with a few other preamp gain stages on (all light gain though) so.

....I was running mine into a glassy clean channel, far from even starting to show signs of breakup, so that could explain the different behaviour.
Quote by Airfish

How do you like the Mesa Throttle Box? The videos I have seen of it on YOuTube are not that great.

I was playing around with my DS1 and Fender Bassman pedal today. I got a nice and heavy rhythm sound out of them on at the same time.
Quote by NostraHistoria
How do you like the Mesa Throttle Box? The videos I have seen of it on YOuTube are not that great.

I was playing around with my DS1 and Fender Bassman pedal today. I got a nice and heavy rhythm sound out of them on at the same time.

I really do like it. But I agree with you, that in many YT videos it really sucks. And I have to admit, that it´s definitely not the most compatible pedal on earth. I tried it in front of my Blues Jr III combo - sounded horrible, thin & shrill, then in front of my Laney Ironheart Combo, not too good either, in a similar way. But into the clean channel of my Engl E530 preamp it really sounds great: thick, huge, dense, juicy, but still suprisingly articulate, with lots of bite on palm muted stuff.
Quote by Airfish
I really do like it. But I agree with you, that in many YT videos it really sucks. And I have to admit, that it´s definitely not the most compatible pedal on earth. I tried it in front of my Blues Jr III combo - sounded horrible, thin & shrill, then in front of my Laney Ironheart Combo, not too good either, in a similar way. But into the clean channel of my Engl E530 preamp it really sounds great: thick, huge, dense, juicy, but still suprisingly articulate, with lots of bite on palm muted stuff.

I only found one good video of the Mesa Throttle pedal. It sounded very nice on it.
I tried the Triple Wreck and Uberschall pedals today. The uberschall barely has any gain. The triple has more than enough
The Uberschall doesn't have a lotta gain but it has a dark, defined bassy tone that makes for a killer sludgy tone without getting muddy. Where it lacks in gain it makes up for in heaviness.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Page 1 of 2